What makes Iowa football so special?

hey tm, i can give you a perspective about being in Micky's the night before a home game. When the band comes in and stands on our bar and plays, they get free beer- our customers have a good time; everybody has a great time! For breakfast on gameday customers arrive early and are usually wrapped around the corner by atlas, and three deep service at the bar during the game. let me know if you want to make it official

EDIT: I used to manage Micky's up to last march

Man do I have some stories about Micky's as a patron! Some I will never tell. Surely all before your time Tex. :) (must of been a fun job, how could you leave that?)

What class is this for? Journalistic Reporting and Writing? Specialized Reporting and Writing? Just curious.

Back in 1984 a book was published called, "How 'Bout Them Hawkeye Fans!" It included some commentary similar to yours by the author/editor, but was largely made up of responses from Iowa fans and coaches, including such folks as Lute and Bobbi Olson, Tom Brokaw, Hayden Fry, Jim Zabel and others.

As to the writing in your article, it's well done. But one thing I HATE is the use of the academic "one." Please don't do that...ever...unless some ancient prof forces you to. It's an antiquated style. Just say "you" instead. Connect with the reader.

Great concept. Good luck with it.

Back in 1984 a book was published called, "How 'Bout Them Hawkeye Fans!" It included some commentary similar to yours by the author/editor, but was largely made up of responses from Iowa fans and coaches, including such folks as Lute and Bobbi Olson, Tom Brokaw, Hayden Fry, Jim Zabel and others.

As to the writing in your article, it's well done. But one thing I HATE is the use of the academic "one." Please don't do that...ever...unless some ancient prof forces you to. It's an antiquated style. Just say "you" instead. Connect with the reader.

Great concept. Good luck with it.

Haha, believe me, "one" is not my preference. I use "you" whenever I'm allowed to.

What class is this for? Journalistic Reporting and Writing? Specialized Reporting and Writing? Just curious.

Journalistic Reporting and Writing. I'm taking the Specialized course in the spring (sportswriting, obviously lol).

Keep trying, man.

I understand as a sports broadcaster or sports analyst you need to be able to write, so im taking as many writing and journalism classes in high school as I possibly can. TM, are you still gonna be hanging around Iowa City in about 2 years lol for future tutoring.

Keep trying, man.

images

“I realize I sound addicted to Iowa football. I have been accused of that before, and I will not deny it.â€￾

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me....

I understand as a sports broadcaster or sports analyst you need to be able to write, so im taking as many writing and journalism classes in high school as I possibly can. TM, are you still gonna be hanging around Iowa City in about 2 years lol for future tutoring.

I'll be taking an extra semester to get my 120 credits, so I'd be here for at least the fall of your freshman year lol. Not sure how much good I'd do as a tutor though. I really don't have a clue what I'm doing when I write. I just wing it and it seems to turn out well (at least my professors seem to think so).

Last edited:
I thought the read was great and agreed with most of the replies. If you do expand it at a later time, maybe you could also talk about post-game. For example,the car ride home after a win/loss.

Excellent read!

My first game was when I was five...I am 42 now.
My family had season tickets when the Hawks were not very good.
I distinctly remember my parents say, it will turn around.

Now, my wife and kids are diehards with season tickets.
I find myself remembering what these Saturdays meant to me and what they now mean to my wife and kids.

A previous poster nailed it;
Hawkeye Gameday is not just about football...it is so much more.
Traditions, history, memories, all of it!
It may be just me, but what is gameday without a quick scan of the message boards.

Nice job...keep with it!

Go Hawks! - hawkeyetob