What makes Iowa football so special?

tm3308

As a journalism student here at UI, I turned in a feature story on the gameday atmosphere here in Iowa City for a class this morning. I'm considering it a work in progress, as I'm thinking about expanding on it and maybe try to get it published. I think what I've got isn't too bad though, thanks to HS4E, Jermelle Lewis, and Tork Hook. Let me know what you think!

There are seven Saturdays of fall in Iowa City that are unparalleled by any other dates in the calendar. God made seven a divine number in the Bible, and for fans of the Iowa Hawkeyes football team, those seven days are practically a divine creation.

With the final home game of 2010 coming up next Saturday against Ohio State, the atmosphere that envelops each event will soon enter its annual hiatus until next September. That atmosphere is both created and experienced by the fans and the players, and it’s a big part of what makes Hawkeye football special.

The fans almost invariably are at the root of the atmosphere. For some fans, such as Chris Douglas, the event starts in the wee hours of the morning. Living in Urbandale, Iowa, he must leave between 4:00 and 5:00 a.m. in order to reach his spot in the public parking lot by the Johnson County jail at 6:30 a.m. which he has done for every home game he has attended in the past 10 years, regardless of kickoff time.

Once he pulls in and gets settled into the spot, he and six of his friends kick off the festivities. With musical selections such as “Back in Black” and “On, Iowa” playing in the background, they play a few tailgating games and catch up on each other’s lives.

“We keep it pretty laid back, and some would say boring. That’s why we like this lot though. We have a few casual drinks, but no need to get ridiculously drunk,” said Douglas.

The allure of gameday is not lost at the state borders. Two of Douglas’ friends make the trip from Indiana and Oklahoma, which makes the occasion even more special.

“Iowa gamedays are usually the only time of year I see some of these guys because of, well, life,” said Douglas.

When one abandons the standard tailgating scene to make their way to Kinnick Stadium they undoubtedly stumble upon Melrose Avenue, which under normal circumstances is a heavily-trafficked road that runs along the south side of the stadium and the University Hospitals and Clinics. On gameday, it is a miniature, black and gold Mardi Gras, with fans clogging the road while waiting in line for the various foods and merchandise available from the vendors, shutting down traffic completely. The scent of beer and Big *** Turkey Legs fills the air, anticipation for kickoff weighs heavily.

“There is nothing like watching a game at Kinnick Stadium,” said Douglas, “I have been to other stadiums, college and pro, and nothing gives me goose bumps except being at Kinnnick. I don’t know exactly what it is.”

For players, it’s a totally different perspective. Former Hawkeye running back Jermelle Lewis likened his time warming up in the pregame to the “quiet before the storm”. And former safety Tork Hook noted that he was usually tense and nervous before each game, and the crowd’s energy just had a way of calming him down, helping him to really focus on the task at hand.

When the first chord of “Back in Black” hits on the PA system, signaling the impending arrival of the Hawkeyes, that is when the crowd truly comes to life.

“When we were walking along the tunnel out of the locker room, you could hear the roar of the crowd. It’s like being on a subway train, the way it sounds,” said Lewis, “Then when you get closer to the end of the tunnel and you can hear the band playing. It’s just crazy, you really can’t describe the feeling.”

That is also one of Douglas’ favorite parts of gameday. He said that hearing the fight song and seeing the Swarm come onto the field gets his adrenaline rushing so much that he wants to get on the field and hit someone along with the players.

“Diehard Hawkeyes, that’s all you can really say. Just really passionate,” said Lewis when asked to characterize the Hawkeye faithful. Hook remembered that when the Hawks played on the road, he could always hear the Iowa fans that made the trip cheering, but he could never hear opposing fans cheering during games at Kinnick, mostly because the games at home were always sold out.

That passion can be affected by the kickoff time for each game. Douglas enjoys the later kickoffs because it gives him more time to tailgate and spend time with friends he doesn’t get to see often. He feels like the crowd comes in more ready for the game if it’s an afternoon or night game.

Lewis felt that the excitement in the crowd was night and day, literally, depending on the start time. He figures that for an 11:00 a.m. kickoff, fans have only had five hours to let the anticipation mount, whereas they have up to 12 hours for a 7:00 p.m. start.

A later start has an impact on the players, as well. Both Hook and Lewis felt that the wait for a later game increased the anxiety, and created a tension in the atmosphere. Hook said he preferred morning games so that he could get on the field and relieve the tension, because the wait can wear a player out mentally.

One thing that inevitably comes with the end of a season at Kinnick is the farewell for the seniors on the team, which Douglas believes is the hardest part of the season’s finale. While it’s an emotional day both for players and fans, it was especially so for Lewis.

The player expected to be the star running back for the Hawks in his senior year, Lewis suffered a season-ending knee injury against Michigan State in early October. As the magical 2004 season unfolded, Lewis was forced to observe from the sidelines. But when it was time for his name to be called on Senior Day against Wisconsin, Lewis received a standing ovation from the Hawkeye faithful, as though he had been playing all along.

“It was a really emotional moment. Just with the crowd, and seeing my mom waiting for me. It felt like the longest walk I’d ever taken,” said Lewis, jokingly adding “I mean being a cripple at the time, it really was!” He also was completely unashamed to admit that he cried at that moment.

And once the season is over, so begins the nine-month break. For fans, those nine months can be agonizing, even “borderline depressing”, according to Douglas. He clings to anything related to Hawkeye football, including National Signing Day (when recruits announce which schools they will be attending in the fall) and spring practice.

He also frequents Hawkeye message boards to try and pass the time. Admittedly, it helps a little, but not nearly enough for him. Once the Iowa State Fair kicks off in August, Douglas says it starts to feel real that Iowa football is right around the corner.

“I realize I sound addicted to Iowa football. I have been accused of that before, and I will not deny it.”

If ever it was possible to capture what makes football season special in Iowa City in just a couple sentences, that sums it all up right there.

Again, I may try to get more in-depth with this. Talk to my sources some more, and even add more, such as bartenders, vendors on Melrose, more tailgaters, and a current player two if I can (had a lot of trouble with that the first time around).

Edit: this is kind of tailored more to those who maybe don't understand what gameday is like rather than those who experience it regularly. So not much of it is news to anyone around here, I just wanted to try and explain it as best I can for the people who haven't experienced it and just don't understand.

Last edited:
This is really good man, as a 17 year old high school student that is pursuing the same dream you are, I hope I can write this good. Although I think I would rather broadcast sports than write about them. Go Hawks man

This is excellent. You could almost turn this work into a short book (I'm not sure anyone has done that before). Here are some other angles:

1. Fathers and sons (or daughters). Most Iowa fans were children when they were first introduced to Iowa football by one or more parents (usually dad?). I know some of my most vivid memories were created by games I attended with my dad. Those traditions are handed down generation after generation. Some families have been going to Iowa football games since the 20s (4 or 5 generations).

2. Dowtown Iowa City on game weekends is a lot of fun. I'm sure bar and restaurant owners have a number of stories to tell.

3. What do current and former coaches have to say about gameday in Iowa City? Opposing coaches? What makes Iowa City special? (we know it is). What are their memories?

4. Current and former sportscasters (Dolphin, Gonder, Zabel, Podolak). I'm sure their perspective would be quite interesting.

5. Sportscasters for other schools who come to Iowa City for games.

6. The perspective of older fans who have been going to games since the 40s or 50s? How has gameday changed? Stayed the same?

7. Members of the marching band have a tremendous perspective about gameday. Their observations?

Just some ideas. You really could write quite a book just about gameday in Iowa City.

I think the thing you have realized is that Iowa football is a heck of a lot more than just a football game. It is an activity that brings friends and families together and keeps them together.

This is excellent. You could almost turn this work into a short book (I'm not sure anyone has done that before). Here are some other angles:

1. Fathers and sons (or daughters). Most Iowa fans were children when they were first introduced to Iowa football by one or more parents (usually dad?). I know some of my most vivid memories were created by games I attended with my dad. Those traditions are handed down generation after generation. Some families have been going to Iowa football games since the 20s (4 or 5 generations).

2. Dowtown Iowa City on game weekends is a lot of fun. I'm sure bar and restaurant owners have a number of stories to tell.

3. What do current and former coaches have to say about gameday in Iowa City? Opposing coaches? What makes Iowa City special? (we know it is). What are their memories?

4. Current and former sportscasters (Dolphin, Gonder, Zabel, Podolak). I'm sure their perspective would be quite interesting.

5. Sportscasters for other schools who come to Iowa City for games.

6. The perspective of older fans who have been going to games since the 40s or 50s? How has gameday changed? Stayed the same?

7. Members of the marching band have a tremendous perspective about gameday. Their observations?

Just some ideas. You really could write quite a book just about gameday in Iowa City.

I really wanted to do both of these things this time around, and just didn't have time to get to them. They would have really helped round out the story. All great suggestions, though! Thanks!

Agree. This is excellent and really hits what Hawkeye football is all about. We've been season ticket holders since early 2000's and enjoy gamedays in IC. Its more than a football game. Its an event. We will have been to every game, except Arizona, this year and it never ceases to amaze me the number of Hawk fans that follow the team on the road. Hawk fans are definitely passionate about their team and bowl reps realize that when they visit Kinnick on Saturdays. Go Hawks!!

A few constructive criticism to make it better:

1. Tighten it up. It is not fully cohesive, and shoots off in different directions. If you want to document Chris Douglas' story, then make that the article. Not Chris Douglas and Jemelle Lewis.

2. What is the time line? You start with one fan's experience on an unidentified say @ 6:30 am. You end by talking about night games and the end of the season and the Iowa State Fair. Again, it is more cohesive if you follow the fan experience for one day, or the players experience over a season, but not both.

3. This kind of goes with points 1 and 2. You opening, and especially your closing, were very, very strong. They set up a sold narrative, which you then fail to completely follow. You clearly have the story telling element down, but you need to focus one a single thesis.

So far, so good. As a reader, I'm much more drawn in to hearing what the players think of the atmosphere. I already know what I think. :) I've known a few Hawkeyes and have told them to make sure they really get out and have fun tailgating once they graduate because they missed out on a huge tradition at Iowa. It's always fun to hear what they think once they're on the other side of things.

It's interesting to hear players' take on fans, intensity, the loudness at home vs on the road (does it really affect them etc).

1. Tighten it up. It is not fully cohesive, and shoots off in different directions. If you want to document Chris Douglas' story, then make that the article. Not Chris Douglas and Jemelle Lewis.

2. What is the time line? You start with one fan's experience on an unidentified say @ 6:30 am. You end by talking about night games and the end of the season and the Iowa State Fair. Again, it is more cohesive if you follow the fan experience for one day, or the players experience over a season, but not both.

3. This kind of goes with points 1 and 2. You opening, and especially your closing, were very, very strong. They set up a sold narrative, which you then fail to completely follow. You clearly have the story telling element down, but you need to focus one a single thesis.

I knew I was going to have trouble with this, because I wanted to try and treat the atmosphere as the main character, rather than any individual person. I'm not sure if I succeeded in that or not, but that's why I jumped around from different sources, because I was trying to capture the atmosphere from different perspectives and create a sort of composite.

Your second point is very valid. I had to conduct my interview with Chris after the fact, so I didn't really know how to set that up. Thinking about it a little more, it would be much easier for me to tie everything together if I were to make this a story to run after the Ohio State game. That would let me keep almost everything by talking about the atmosphere on Senior Day from start to finish. Most of it is the same (as far as tailgating and Melrose are concerned).

Like someone already mentioned, this could be made into a book if someone wanted to do it, and I've tried to condense it into one story, which makes it much more difficult to summarize, at least when it's this short. I could probably cover all of this more coherently if it were longer, making the transitions a little less jumpy.

Last edited:
Good stuff. The whole time I was reading it, I was picturing a narrated documentary (like the stories espn does here and there). With the video and sound really putting the words in perspective. I say keep going with it. Then meet up with a film (editing) major and make it happen!

As a journalism student here at UI, I turned in a feature story on the gameday atmosphere here in Iowa City for a class this morning. I'm considering it a work in progress, as I'm thinking about expanding on it and maybe try to get it published. I think what I've got isn't too bad though, thanks to HS4E, Jermelle Lewis, and Tork Hook. Let me know what you think!

There are seven Saturdays of fall in Iowa City that are unparalleled by any other dates on the calendar. God made seven a divine number in the Bible, and for fans of the Iowa Hawkeyes football team, those seven days are practically a divine creation.

With the final home game of 2010 coming up next Saturday against Ohio State, the atmosphere that envelops each event will soon enter its annual hiatus until next September. That atmosphere is both created and experienced by the fans and the players, and it’s a big part of what makes Hawkeye football special.

The fans almost invariably are at the root of the atmosphere. For some fans, such as Chris Douglas, the event starts in the wee hours of the morning. Living in Urbandale, Iowa, he must leave [his prolish apartment/house etc.] between 4:00 and 5:00 a.m. in order to reach his spot in the public parking lot by the Johnson County jail at 6:30 a.m. which he has done for every home game he has attended in the past 10 years, [ir]regardless of kickoff time.

Once he pulls in and gets settled into the spot, he and six of his friends kick off the festivities. With musical selections such as “Back in Black†and “On, Iowa†playing in the background, they play a few tailgating games and catch up on each other’s lives.

“We keep it pretty laid back, and some would say boring. That’s why we like this lot though. We have a few casual drinks, but no need to get ridiculously drunk,†said Douglas.

The allure of gameday is not lost at the state borders. Two of Douglas’ friends make the trip from Indiana and Oklahoma, which makes the occasion even more special. [do these proles come to every game or can they only make it every so often - the occasion may imply only once]

“Iowa gamedays are usually the only time of year I see some of these guys because of, well, life,†said Douglas.

When one abandons the standard tailgating scene to make their way to Kinnick Stadium they undoubtedly stumble [makes it sound like everyone is drunk] upon Melrose Avenue, which under normal circumstances is a heavily-trafficked [really?] road that runs along the south side of the stadium and the University Hospitals and Clinics. On gameday, it is almost [strike almost] a miniature, black and gold Mardi Gras, with fans clogging the road while waiting in line for the various foods and merchandise available from the vendors, shutting down traffic completely. The scent of beer and Big *** Turkey Legs fills the air, anticipation for kickoff weighs heavily.

“There is nothing like watching a game at Kinnick Stadium,†said Douglas, “I have been to other stadiums, college and pro, and nothing gives me goose bumps except being at Kinnnick. I don’t know exactly what it is.â€

For players, it’s a totally different perspective. Former Hawkeye running back Jermelle Lewis likened his time warming up in the pregame to the “quiet before the stormâ€. And former safety Tork Hook noted that he was usually tense and nervous before each game, and the crowd’s energy just had a way of calming him down, helping him to really focus on the task at hand.

When the first chord of “Back in Black†hits on the PA system, signaling the impending arrival of the Hawkeyes, that is when the crowd truly comes to life.

“When we were walking along the tunnel out of the locker room, you could hear the roar of the crowd. It’s like being on a subway train, the way it sounds,†said Lewis, “Then when you get closer to the end of the tunnel and you can hear the band playing. It’s just crazy, you really can’t describe the feeling.â€

That is also one of Douglas’ favorite parts of gameday. He said that hearing the fight song and seeing the Swarm come onto the field gets his adrenaline rushing so much that he wants to get on the field and hit someone along with the players.

“Diehard Hawkeyes, that’s all you can really say. Just really passionate,†said Lewis when asked to characterize the Hawkeye faithful. Hook remembered that when the Hawks played on the road, he could always hear the Iowa fans that made the trip cheering, but he could never hear opposing fans cheering during games at Kinnick, mostly because the games at home were always sold out.

That passion can be affected by the kickoff time for each game. Douglas enjoys the later kickoffs because it gives him more time to tailgate and spend time with friends he doesn’t get to see often. He feels like the crowd comes in more ready for the game if it’s an afternoon or night game.

Lewis felt that the excitement in the crowd was night and day, literally, depending on the start time. He figures that for an 11:00 a.m. kickoff, fans have only had five hours to let the anticipation mount, whereas they have up to 12 hours for a 7:00 p.m. start.

A later start has an impact on the players, as well. Both Hook and Lewis felt that the wait for a later game increased the anxiety and tension. Hook said he preferred morning games so that he could get on the field and relieve the tension, because the wait can wear a player out mentally.

One thing that inevitably comes with the end of a season at Kinnick is the farewell for the seniors on the team, which Douglas believes is the hardest part of the season’s finale. While it’s an emotional day both for players and fans, it was especially so for Lewis.

The player expected to be the star running back for the Hawks in his senior year, Lewis suffered a season-ending knee injury against Michigan State in early October. As the magical 2004 season unfolded, Lewis was forced to observe from the sidelines. But when it was time for his name to be called on Senior Day against Wisconsin, Lewis received a standing ovation from the Hawkeye faithful, as though he had been playing all along.

“It was a really emotional moment. Just with the crowd, and seeing my mom waiting for me. It felt like the longest walk I’d ever taken,†said Lewis, jokingly adding “I mean being a cripple at the time, it really was!†He also was completely unashamed to admit that he cried at that moment. [off topic, but do you guys remember when the proles booed Shada on senior day - totally classless]

And once the season is over, so begins the nine-month break. For fans, those nine months can be agonizing, even “borderline depressingâ€, according to Douglas. He clings to anything related to Hawkeye football, including National Signing Day (when recruits announce which schools they will be attending in the fall) and spring practice.

He also frequents Hawkeye message boards to try and pass the time. Admittedly, it helps a little, but not nearly enough for him. Once the Iowa State Fair kicks off in August, Douglas says it starts to feel real that Iowa football is right around the corner.

“I realize I sound addicted to Iowa football. I have been accused of that before, and I will not deny it.â€

If ever it was possible to capture what makes football season special in Iowa City in one sentence, that [which sentence - you quoted two] sums it all up right there.

Again, I may try to get more in-depth with this. Talk to my sources some more, and even add more, such as bartenders, vendors on Melrose, more tailgaters, and a current player two if I can (had a lot of trouble with that the first time around).

Edit: this is kind of tailored more to those who maybe don't understand what gameday is like rather than those who experience it regularly. So not much of it is news to anyone around here, I just wanted to try and explain it as best I can for the people who haven't experienced it and just don't understand.

I dropped in a few tweaks and suggestions but didn't expand on previous good suggestions. Take those that you wish.

Good luck.

I dropped in a few tweaks and suggestions but didn't expand on previous good suggestions. Take those that you wish.

Good luck.

Haha, you got a few good zingers in there, okeefe.

I do consider Melrose heavily-trafficked, mostly because of the hospital and that I-380/US 218 exits off onto Melrose.

And that was just a pure blunder on my part with the last quote. Should have said "in a sentence or two".

Gotta cut me a little slack though.I turned in my first draft lol.

Last edited:
Very nice.

Edit: this one wasn't me lol. I'm still logged in on my ex-girlfriend's computer.

Last edited:
What It Means To Be A Hawkeye

We are in the process of writing a book for Triumph Books with a similar premise. It's entitled, "What It Means To Be A Hawkeye", and it's a continuation of a series Triumph is publishing. You can go to amazon.com and view "What It Means To Be A Longhorn", "...Wolverine", "...Gator", etc.

The book will be released in September.

hey tm, i can give you a perspective about being in Micky's the night before a home game. When the band comes in and stands on our bar and plays, they get free beer- our customers have a good time; everybody has a great time! For breakfast on gameday customers arrive early and are usually wrapped around the corner by atlas, and three deep service at the bar during the game. let me know if you want to make it official

EDIT: I used to manage Micky's up to last march

Last edited:

Very good short story. I like the idea of chronicling two characters throughout the story rather than just one. It gives it a slight documentary feel. As mentioned in earlier post, I too could visualize it. I do think that using slang (...big*** turkey...) in a story that is meant for those unfamiliar with the scene is not as favorable as maybe a more universally acceptable word or phrase in order to convey the same thought. The same goes for the mention of getting, or not getting "drunk". I suppose it depends on your intended audience, but you were also referencing families.

You certainly have many areas to extrapolate on, as Chosen suggested, if the time and desire were there. It is truly an experience that many sport fans feel all over the country, but you are certainly capturing an environment that is "extra" special. Good luck with it.

Latest posts