What kind of year does Keenan Davis have?

hawkinn3

I expect a big leap with his great talent. Granted, he will be 3rd on the depth chart but Keenan Davis is a match up hell for any 3rd corner in the country. Should be open alot.

I would guess he'd have a year similar to Stross last year: a couple of catches per game...about 25 catches for 375 yards and 2 TDs.

I think Davis will have to split a little bit of time as the 3rd receiver with Sandeman who had a great Orange Bowl.

I think he will have a couple really good games, a couple games with no catches and the rest in between. I agree that his end of year stats will be similar/slightly better than Stross.

Its most likely he won't get too many balls thrown his way (barring injuries), but the couple of plays that stand out from last year -- diving into the endzone and dragging a defender for extra yardage) leave no doubt that he was as advertised.

Also, McNutt's hands are better than any other receiver I can remember at Iowa. The OSU slant/bullet, Arizona one hand catch and catch over the middle. MSU last second TD. Orange Bowl TD. I am no expert, but it seems to me that the great receivers catch with their hands rather than trapping it on their chest and that's how McNutt is able to do it.

I think next year when it's just McNutt, Davis and Jordan Cotton as the third receiver will be his break out year.

If Keenan's as good as advertised, he's going to blow right past Sandeman on the depth chart...and if he is good enough to do that, we're going to have a helluva WR corp because I like what Colin brings to the table.

I would guess he'd have a year similar to Stross last year: a couple of catches per game...about 25 catches for 375 yards and 2 TDs.

I think Davis will have to split a little bit of time as the 3rd receiver with Sandeman who had a great Orange Bowl.

+1 He might have more opportunities to run back and kicks/punts this year as well. Probably be the number 2 guy behind Sandeman in returning punts..........KO not sure who will be opposite DJK? Hampton, Wegher Bernstine along with Davis will be in the mix I would assume.

Its most likely he won't get too many balls thrown his way (barring injuries), but the couple of plays that stand out from last year -- diving into the endzone and dragging a defender for extra yardage) leave no doubt that he was as advertised.

Also, McNutt's hands are better than any other receiver I can remember at Iowa. The OSU slant/bullet, Arizona one hand catch and catch over the middle. MSU last second TD. Orange Bowl TD. I am no expert, but it seems to me that the great receivers catch with their hands rather than trapping it on their chest and that's how McNutt is able to do it.

Don't forget McNutt's TD in the 4th quarter against tOSU, that tied the game at 24-24.

Also, McNutt's hands are better than any other receiver I can remember at Iowa.

Best ever? Hyperbole alert. McNutt proved himself to be a very good receiver but the best "hands" on the team belong to Allen Reisner. As far as the most sure handed receiver of the Ferentz era IMO it would have to be this guy:

hinkel.jpg

Best ever? Hyperbole alert. McNutt proved himself to be a very good receiver but the best "hands" on the team belong to Allen Reisner. As far as the most sure handed receiver of the Ferentz era IMO it would have to be this guy:

hinkel.jpg

The claim re McNutt's hands isn't an example of hyperbole. It might not be a correct statement factually, or it might be a matter of opinion, but its not an example of using hyperbole to make a point.

I think next year when it's just McNutt, Davis and Jordan Cotton as the third receiver will be his break out year.

This. Still too many starters ahead of him to blow the doors open. He'll be more involved this year compared to last, but with DJK, Sandeman, and Cheney in their final years he'll be sharing a lot of playing time.

He has the God-given talent to breakout this year, its a question of how hard he works and develops under Soup's tutelage.

I thought I had heard that he would have played more last year if he had improved his blocking like Coach Ferentz would have liked. If he does that I would expect he gets some pretty good looks this year.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Sandemann has done everything that'd been asked of him and has been good in the role that he plays. Plus...Ferentz has shown a propensity to favor Seniors who have...like Sandemann...been exemplary members of the team.

With big-play threats DJK and McNutt, reliable veteran Sandeman, how often we throw to the TE, and a loaded backfield I just don't see a lot of room on the offensive side of the ball for Davis in 2010. (Unless someone gets injured, which nobody wants to see.)

DJK and McNutt will get lots of attention from oppossing defenses this year, so I think there is a genuine "opportunity" for Davis to make some plays...perhaps even in the return game.

Latest posts