What is your level of optimism right now?

What is your level of optimism right now?

• Very optimistic

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • Cautiously optimistic

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Neutral

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Slightly pessimistic

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Very pessimistic

Votes: 24 27.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I see another year of experience with a lot if young players from last year but a tougher schedule. Average to below average talent combined with an offensive scheme that I don't think is a good fit for us being lead by an inexperienced qb. I see average to below average results. Four to six wins

Pessimistic
The talent isn't there. Look at the defensive line. Does anybody see a Matt Roth Adrian Clayborne type player ? Nope. Linebacker. This group is serviceable but not much more. There's no Greenway Hodge talent here. Secondary. Is there a Bob Sanders back there ? I don't see one. The offense is tire fire forget about it.

Pessimistic
The talent isn't there. Look at the defensive line. Does anybody see a Matt Roth Adrian Clayborne type player ? Nope. Linebacker. This group is serviceable but not much more. There's no Greenway Hodge talent here. Secondary. Is there a Bob Sanders back there ? I don't see one. The offense is tire fire forget about it.

You are naming some of the best players that played at Iowa. Some of the best players the years they played. Yeah they are not on the team but the talent level is fine. Last year the defense was a lot better than most thought.

Do you know what the difference between one win and five wins last year? Now its no Norm Parker defense but I think you will see a good defense this year. There are some playmakers out there that got a lot of playing time last year.

Lets not forget that Iowas defenses has to beat the other team and KF. KF hangs his defenses out to dry almost every game. 3 and outs kill defenses and that a KF and GD special.

Do you know how many turnovers last yr that resulted in a missed field goal or a 3 and out?

It seemed as though everytime Kinnick got loud. The offense pulled the old run, run, 3 yard pass, punt routine.

Id say if we are going to enjoy any football this year its going to come mostly on the defensive side.

This team has the best experience and depth that any Iowa team has had in some time. They will be a good team.

I used those players as an example because when Iowa has had success it's been when we had those caliber of guys on defense and when we haven't had them we had years like last year or 2007.

I think last year the defense looked good at times but you have to realize who we were playing against. I looked it up after the season and if I recall correctly we played 4 teams who had offenses in the top 50 and one was Northern Illinois. I look for our defense to get exposed this season.

Northern Illinois #20
Nebraska #26
Indiana #34
The only teams we played in the top 50 in scoring offense.

You are naming some of the best players that played at Iowa. Some of the best players the years they played. Yeah they are not on the team but the talent level is fine. Last year the defense was a lot better than most thought.

Do you know what the difference between one win and five wins last year? Now its no Norm Parker defense but I think you will see a good defense this year. There are some playmakers out there that got a lot of playing time last year.

Lets not forget that Iowas defenses has to beat the other team and KF. KF hangs his defenses out to dry almost every game. 3 and outs kill defenses and that a KF and GD special.

Do you know how many turnovers last yr that resulted in a missed field goal or a 3 and out?

It seemed as though everytime Kinnick got loud. The offense pulled the old run, run, 3 yard pass, punt routine.

Id say if we are going to enjoy any football this year its going to come mostly on the defensive side.

I was right there with you, until you started your rant at paragraph #3. Now I feel like I need a shower.

I'll agree that the three and outs did happen with too much regularity, but sometimes it was on player executions and such; and not completely on your main man KirFer.

IIRC, we have led or near the top in dropped passes each of the last two years. That'll also stop your drives, in a hurry.

I was right there with you, until you started your rant at paragraph #3. Now I feel like I need a shower.

I'll agree that the three and outs did happen with too much regularity, but sometimes it was on player executions and such; and not completely on your main man KirFer.

IIRC, we have led or near the top in dropped passes each of the last two years. That'll also stop your drives, in a hurry.

Even with the couple of good offenses that Iowa has had under KF he still would still shut things down in the second half and make the defense win the game.

good god, will some of you guys ever get it. Vandy is not a lousy QB.

He had a 25/7 TD to INT ratio in 2011, and he's been invited to NFL camp wth the Vikings in 2013.

IT WAS FREAKING GREG DAVIS THAT KILLED HIS GAME in 2012 !!!!
That's an interesting angle but it doesn't change the end result. If Greg Davis was the problem, not JV, that doesn't help us as Greg Davis is still here.

I have lost faith in Kirk Ferentz, for several reasons. I'll list those reasons below. They are my opinion.
#1. Too many quality assistant coaches gone and replaced with sub-par individuals.
#1A. He micro-manages too much. This will automatically cut back on the number of good candidates looking for assistant coaching jobs.
#2. Recruiting has gotten far worse: could be due to #1.
#3. Age and financial security are not conducive to 18 hour days - 300+ days per year.
#4. Everything gets more conservative as the years go on, to a fault. Could be related to #3.

I have lost faith in Kirk Ferentz, for several reasons. I'll list those reasons below. They are my opinion.
#1. Too many quality assistant coaches gone and replaced with sub-par individuals.
#1A. He micro-manages too much. This will automatically cut back on the number of good candidates looking for assistant coaching jobs.
#2. Recruiting has gotten far worse: could be due to #1.
#3. Age and financial security are not conducive to 18 hour days - 300+ days per year.
#4. Everything gets more conservative as the years go on, to a fault. Could be related to #3.

1.) According to who, you? Many people had been questioning Erb, Campbell, and Kaz's contributions for a while. What makes these coaches any better than their replacements- Ferentz, Kennedy, Reid, etc. Iowa will have a very strong staff this fall, whether you choose to acknowledge that or not I suppose is up to you.

2.) Iowa's problem last year stemmed from horrible recruiting classes in '08 and 'po and even worse player retention. The recruiting classes have been consistently better since then. Not to be that guy, but Iowa's more recent classes have seen some more athletes and black players at some of the skill positions, which addresses the lack of dynamicism we have seen recently.

1.) According to who, you? Many people had been questioning Erb, Campbell, and Kaz's contributions for a while. What makes these coaches any better than their replacements- Ferentz, Kennedy, Reid, etc. Iowa will have a very strong staff this fall, whether you choose to acknowledge that or not I suppose is up to you.

2.) Iowa's problem last year stemmed from horrible recruiting classes in '08 and 'po and even worse player retention. The recruiting classes have been consistently better since then. Not to be that guy, but Iowa's more recent classes have seen some more athletes and black players at some of the skill positions, which addresses the lack of dynamicism we have seen recently.

1) Very strong coaching staff? Common we are hoping for average.

2) More "Black players" really? I think the talent level was fine but if you dont agree then fine just look at it this way. These slump years just lead to other slump years.

Of course it's "according to me." I stated as much in my opening paragraph. That's what an OPINION is.
Have IQ's fallen off sharply, around here?

Latest posts