What is your choice for best or bad replacement window brand?

uihawk82

I am not going to name any brands we have been looking at as not to insert any initial thoughts.

Would love to hear from people who have installed replacement windows over the last 5-20 years with your thoughts on what has been really good or bad.

Thanks in advance.

Windsor originally, replaced some with Anderson........especially patio doors. Not cheap (especially right now) so good to stay in home for awhile to make it worthwhile as I'm sure you know. Also replaced a front door which also was a noticeable upgrade.

Home is now nearly 25 years old. Starting replacing some about 2-3 years ago and 2 patio doors a little earlier. We purchased new but home was nearly finished when we purchased so not much choice. Probably could have gone longer w/o but you can begin to tell when some need attention.

Windsor originally, replaced some with Anderson........especially patio doors. Not cheap (especially right now) so good to stay in home for awhile to make it worthwhile as I'm sure you know. Also replaced a front door which also was a noticeable upgrade.

Home is now nearly 25 years old. Starting replacing some about 2-3 years ago and 2 patio doors a little earlier. We purchased new but home was nearly finished when we purchased so not much choice. Probably could have gone longer w/o but you can begin to tell when some need attention.

Anderson is probably the best and Pella is right there also

Anderson always has deals where you buy one window
Get a second one for 25-50% off

I get fliers in the mail all the time

If you call them and express interest, they will probably give you a deal
especially if you tell them you are going to Pella if you don't get the deal

:cool:

Last edited:
About 15 years ago, I replaced all my windows with Pella. including a french door to the back deck. Yes, it was expensive, so I did it over a three year span.

With the old windows in the summer, I could feel the panes inside were hot to the touch. With the new Pella windows, the panes were room temperature even on the hottest days. If I remember right, it was the double panes filled with argon.

I think Anderson is probably good quality, too.

I just had two windows replaced and did extensive research. Got estimates from Pella and had a Renewal By Anderson guy come which was a huge mistake. Nice guy but he was a salesman and I was floored at the quote he gave me. Around $5,000 for two windows installed and I'm not joking. Alright, might have been like $4,800 or something but I never looked again at the quote. So bad he never did a follow-up call. These were two simple 35.5" X 50.5" double hung.

I found these Kolbe Forgent windows I went with from Alexander Lumbar. This is a composite window with their trademark Glastra material. They are out of Wisconsin. Sometimes smaller companies are very nice compared to the large.

They seemed to have good ratings/reviews and the Glastra is an upgrade to vinyl.

From my extensive research, all window companies have their bad moments and there are so many window products they can hit and miss on at times, like wood vs vinly vs composite vs clad. So a company might have a good run but change their technology and have issues. Kind of like cars with new models. Some are better with wood, some are better with vinyl, some aluminum and or fiberglass/composite.

I got sick of my old vinyl windows that came with the house when we bought it, with the sash being hard to slide. This is the reason I went with the Glastra composite. I figured. it would perform better.

It's quite challenging and time consuming figuring out windows.

Oh, by the way, my two Kolbe Forgent windows came to like $970 together and I paid $450 to have my siding contractor install both windows. He added to the siding bill. I think Pella wanted around $2,650 or so for windows with installatin if I remember correctly.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Anderson is probably the best and Pella is right there also

Anderson always has deals where you buy one window
Get a second one for 25-50% off

I get fliers in the mail all the time

If you call them and express interest, they will probably give you a deal
especially if you tell them you are going to Pella if you don't get the deal

Not always. Just because they are large or you hear about them the most doesn't always equate to them being the best. Depends on the window material.

Yea, because they start at a bloated price to make it look like your getting a deal. The Kohl's business model.

I got a Marvin Essentials window estimate that only was a couple hundred over the Pella but still much lower than Andersen quote. It is a very nice and smooth window. Probably one of the lowest profile fiberglass window out there and smooth as hell. I was all ready to go with them but couldn't get the lumbaryard to send anybody out to measure, or my contractor. Nobody wanted to measure. I was going to pull the trigger. But, since I couldn't get anybody out to measure I checked around and found the Kolbe windows I liked and ended up measuring myself and taking a photo and going to the lumbar yard to order them.

Marvin Essentials would have been my first choice though, but I think the Kolbes will perform well and they look nice.

Last edited:
I've installed my own windows including a large bay. I use Menards or Home Depot general double windows which are oft crestline. Installation is probably more important than window brand.

When I bought the house, it had peach tree slider doors. They failed in less than 12 years as I replaced them right away. My Menards lasted 3 decades but replaced them when I sided the house last year only because I couldn't see putting siding around my new siding.

Check out the latches as there is a big difference in how easily they work. There will always be someone who will gladly take your money. Check around about installers. The good ones are oft not the easy ones to find as they are busy and don't advertise.

One other note, you don't say why you are replacing. High indoor humidity is very hard on windows. My house when I bought it had an oversized furnace which doesn't run as much, thus increasing humidity and it had a ground moisture problem. Proper humidity is easier on windows.

Last edited:
I've installed my own windows including a large bay. I use Menards or Home Depot general double windows which are oft crestline. Installation is probably more important than window brand.

When I bought the house, it had peach tree slider doors. They failed in less than 12 years as I replaced them right away. My Menards lasted 3 decades but replaced them when I sided the house last year only because I couldn't see putting siding around my new siding.

Check out the latches as there is a big difference in how easily they work. There will always be someone who will gladly take your money. Check around about installers. The good ones are oft not the easy ones to find as they are busy and don't advertise.

Great point and this should really factor into one's decision as you don't want problems with cheaper or flimsy hardware. Also, review the warranties as they are all over the map with windows, it seems.

When I bought the house, it had peach tree slider doors. They failed in less than 12 years as I replaced them right away. My Menards lasted decades but replaced them when I sided the house last year.

My Peachtree Slider Patio Doors

Stopped being functional after a few years also

Had to constantly rub a bar of soap on the bottom track

And force them open

Gonna check Menards and Home Depot

Great point and this should really factor into one's decision as you don't want problems with cheaper or flimsy hardware. Also, review the warranties as they are all over the map with windows, it seems.
I added a comment about humidity and windows.

One other note, you don't say why you are replacing. High indoor humidity is very hard on windows. My house when I bought it had an oversized furnace which doesn't run as much, thus increasing humidity and it had a ground moisture problem. Proper humidity is easier on windows.

I think I got a quote for Pella windows at Lowe's and their quote wasn't any cheaper and similar to my Pella rep quote. That surprised me. It actually might have been higher for the cost of the windows, actually.

I actually recommend working with a smaller lumbar yard as I think they provide better customer service. Plus, I like to give them my business when I can for projects like this.

I think I got a quote for Pella windows at Lowe's and their quote wasn't any cheaper and similar to my Pella rep quote. That surprised me. It actually might have been higher for the cost of the windows, actually.

I actually recommend working with a smaller lumbar yard as I think they provide better customer service. Plus, I like to give them my business when I can for projects like this.
The thing about smaller ones is they tend to ship what they have to get rid of inventory on materials. At the bigger places you can pick over what you want better. You should try doing one yourself. I've learned that contractors in general have few that are really good.

I had to hire contractors recently and they are hard to schedule.

The window replacer's best friend? MULTI TOOL. Since you won't use it a lot, you can get them cheap at Harbor Freight. Also use good glue and caulking. Be careful using spray foam insulation as it can tighten windows too much. Cut the excess with a knife.

But, I more recently had to hire contractors due to time constraints. My wife who would sometimes think I'm not talented enough realized I'm not so bad now. On caulking, a damp rag, damp finger and patience work well. There are also tools to help do corners. Amazing what you can cover up with caulk. Like using duck tape or baling wire to hold things together. Recently got hit by a truck west of Denver and had to get back home. Duck tape is amazing.

The thing about smaller ones is they tend to ship what they have to get rid of inventory on materials. At the bigger places you can pick over what you want better. You should try doing one yourself. I've learned that contractors in general have few that are really good.

The window replacer's best friend? MULTI TOOL. Since you won't use it a lot, you can get them cheap at Harbor Freight. Also use good glue and caulking. Be careful using spray foam insulation as it can tighten windows too much. Cut the excess with a knife.

But, I more recently had to hire contractors due to time constraints. My wife who would sometimes think I'm not talented enough realized I'm not so bad now. On caulking, a damp rag, damp finger and patience work well. There are also tools to help do corners. Amazing what you can cover up with caulk. Like using duck tape or baling wire to hold things together. Recently got hit by a truck west of Denver and had to get back home. Duck tape is amazing.

The Kolbe windows I ordered thru the small yard were custom measured windows and built from the order. The lumbar yard didn't have any they sold from the store.

Ya got to get the measurements right though. The first thing all yards tell you is that once you order it, it's yours, even if the measurement is off. This is why I was adamant about the one lumberyard measuring but they said my contractor had to do it. I tried to get the contractor come and they never would. It was very frustrating and took several weeks. I have drywall insert so ended up measuring myself then taking pictures on my phone with my son holding the tape. The one window had a brick insert so could not be wrong there at all. It worked out and measurements were right to the edge!

Yea, make sure to NOT get high pressure foam and get the foam made for window installations as the high pressure foam will expand too much and cause the sash to stick.

There are corner beads and products to finish the inside. I thought about me and my boys doing it but it might be a mess. I am limited healthwise as well, which sucks, because I have the required knowledge and tools. I have that multi tool (Another brand) in my garage.

I just had two windows replaced and did extensive research. Got estimates from Pella and had a Renewal By Anderson guy come which was a huge mistake. Nice guy but he was a salesman and I was floored at the quote he gave me. Around $5,000 for two windows installed and I'm not joking. Alright, might have been like $4,800 or something but I never looked again at the quote. So bad he never did a follow-up call. These were two simple 35.5" X 50.5" double hung.

I found these Kolbe Forgent windows I went with from Alexander Lumbar. This is a composite window with their trademark Glastra material. They are out of Wisconsin. Sometimes smaller companies are very nice compared to the large.

They seemed to have good ratings/reviews and the Glastra is an upgrade to vinyl.

From my extensive research, all window companies have their bad moments and there are so many window products they can hit and miss on at times, like wood vs vinly vs composite vs clad. So a company might have a good run but change their technology and have issues. Kind of like cars with new models. Some are better with wood, some are better with vinyl, some aluminum and or fiberglass/composite.

I got sick of my old vinyl windows that came with the house when we bought it, with the sash being hard to slide. This is the reason I went with the Glastra composite. I figured. it would perform better.

It's quite challenging and time consuming figuring out windows.

Oh, by the way, my two Kolbe Forgent windows came to like $970 together and I paid $450 to have my siding contractor install both windows. He added to the siding bill. I think Pella wanted around $2,650 or so for windows with installatin if I remember correctly.

Good luck.

Thanks. I agree with you on Renewal by Andersen (RBA) as we have 17 window units, two of which are a picture window with double hungs on each side. To give you an idea, the largest picture window unit with 2 double hungs had a quote from Pella Store of $5600, but RBA was $15,000+ for that one large window array. CRAZY.

Our whole house with RBA was over a $70,000 quote but then they throw in a bunch of discounts to get it to $43,000 and make it seem they are doing you a favor.

I got Pella quotes at Lowes that came in much lower than the local Pella Store and we got Andersen quotes at Home Depot that were way lower that RBA.

I saw several installation videos where they say use a low expansion spray foam insulation. I was unaware there was low expansion. Several years ago I bought just one Pella wood interior, aluminum clad exterior to replace in the bathroom. The humidity in that room hit that window hard.

I installed it with the help of a handyman. It all went well but the spray foam got away from me as it super expanded.

I saw several installation videos where they say use a low expansion spray foam insulation. I was unaware there was low expansion. Several years ago I bought just one Pella wood interior, aluminum clad exterior to replace in the bathroom. The humidity in that room hit that window hard.

I installed it with the help of a handyman. It all went well but the spray foam got away from me as it super expanded.
Getting off hands is a fun challenge too.

The Pella window installation sheet instructed to use a lower expansion spray, as well. I don't remember the name of the product, but Pella said to use the spray in the blue can, not the red can. I got a few windows a bit tight even using the blue can. Not too tight, though.

I, too, had a contractor help with the first one, then I did the rest myself. The old windows were not standard sizes, but I was able to buy windows that were pretty close in size.

Thread bump.

uihawk82 - Did you eventually go with something?

For the record, I'm very happy with my Kolbe Forgent windows. The sash is super smooth and they look really nice and is now trimmed/cased inside. They just seem very well made. Very happy with them.

Thread bump.

uihawk82 - Did you eventually go with something?

For the record, I'm very happy with my Kolbe Forgent windows. The sash is super smooth and they look really nice and is now trimmed/cased inside. They just seem very well made. Very happy with them.

Yes, after a couple of delays with finding tilt wash mechanisms for both sashes and salespeople who could get us some answers we just bought 3 of our windows to see how they fit, then we will buy the rest.

Andersen 400 Series Woodwright designs bought thru a local lumber yard and they did the measurements to they are liable if they do not fit. Home Depot sells these windows and we could have saved 10% through Home Depot but like to buy local and have them do the measurements.

Measuring with brick and trying to get answers about measurements can take some time. We are going with full frame replacements as my wife wants as little extra brick moulding trim on the exterior and that gets us more open glass area.

Latest posts