What is Iowa's all time record against Missouri?

I0WA

My friend is a d bag and constantly talks about Mizzou and how much better program they are than the hawks. Please give me Iowa's all time record in Football, Basketball, and/or wrestling against the tigers. Links would be appreciated. Thanks:D

My friend is a d bag and constantly talks about Mizzou and how much better program they are than the hawks. Please give me Iowa's all time record in Football, Basketball, and/or wrestling against the tigers. Links would be appreciated. Thanks:D

Google "Frank Kinney Holbrook" and "Archibald Alexander". You'll get a history lesson on how progressive Iowa is compared to its slaver state to the south. I want to puke every time I see one of those lame, disgraceful, and confederate traitor flags in Iowa. Long story short if you're lazy: Mizzou wouldn't play Iowa in football because we had a black player.

Iowa is 3-4 against Missouri in football but that is pretty much meaningless since the last game in the series was played in 1910.

The cowards backed out of our home and home series a couple years ago.... they have little to no history (at least in the last 50 years).. i wouldn't waste my time..

Missouri fans literlly won't admit that their team backed out of a home-home series with Iowa a couple years ago, even though Mizzou Coach Pinkel admitted as much.

Them backing out of a series with us late in the game is really what you go at them with.

Their football tradition, unless I am mistaken, started around 1960 with Dan Devine and when he left to go to the Packers and they pretty much sucked until they had a few decent years with Colby Smith at QB. Then they sucked again until Pinkel arrived.

Oh, they had a couple of decent years in the early 1980s when their QB was , I forget his first name, Bradley. The guy was such a good athlete he ended up playing for the Phillies. And that's it, the dude's name was Phil Bradley.

Other than what I just described, they have no other history unless someone can set me straight. Or, at least no other history than not playing Iowa because we had a black player. I have a feeling they might not have been the only school that was doing that, for what that is worth. It's kind of hard to bust someone's chops on that if they are an MU fan now. After all, that really isn't their fault now, is it?

Refer him to the ESPN College Football Encyclopedia. He will learn that there has been NO football games between Iowa & Misery in the past 100 years (The U of Iowa was the first university to admit African-Americans on equal standards, and was the first Midwest school to have A-A players--Mizzou was more Jim Crow than much of the South, and even as late as post-World War 2 the racism was so pronounced that the state actually paid the tuition differential for African-American residents of Misery attending Law, Dentistry or Medical schools at Iowa or other less bigoted states rather than admit them to their own state university). So for a half century Mizzou wouldn't play the U of Iowa for Jim Crow reasons, and for much of that time and after (1920s thru the 1960s) Iowa tried to keep its 8 or 9 game schedule to 6 BT games plus a PAC-10 school and Notre Dame, after a season opener against a school like Tulsa, Utah, Wichita State, About 15 years ago Iowa AD Bowlsby initiated a home & away pair of games with Mizzou...but at the instigation of their coach the Mizzou AD bought their way out of the contract rather than play the Hawkeyes.

But the two schools have played each other in basketball, with the results very one-sided in Hawkeye dominance.

In men's hoops, Iowa has won nine of thirteen meetings, seven of ten in the more-or-less modern era post-war & post-Jim Crow. In his first years as Hawkeye coach (before the Fab 5 arrive) Bucky O'Connor won three game by wide margins, lost once in Columbia 94-97. Olson wiped them out once in the early 1980s in an NCAA tournament game, Tom Davis won three of five by comfortable margins, lost by one point in overtime and by ten in games at Columbia. (Three of the four Mizzou wins were by 1, 1 & 3 points).

(The details were summarized from the Iowa Basketball Centennial Book published in 2002--the teams have not played since then).

The Iowa women have won four out of five from Misery and the only time the score was close was the only Mizzou win (at home, of course).

(The source here is the 2009 Iowa womens basketball media guide).

As for wrestling, I'll leave that to someone else; any more cruelty to dumb creatures and I fear the SPCA would be complaining and PETA would be bombing my house.

Last edited:

Latest posts