What is hurting the Hawkeyes offense this season?

Here's another thing, not The only thing IMO, that has contributed to Iowa's offensive woes: time of possession (I'll give credit to an earlier threadmaker).

Iowa's D is illequipped to stop passing, spread offenses. The other's O eats up the clock.

There's usually been no time to grind it out. Then, IMO, Iowa's passing O is not top notch. Too many dropped balls (especially against NW).

Incorrect routes run or incorrect adjustments to situations by receivers.
I've seen too many instances of closely spaced receivers. I've seen too many instances where the other's D blitzes and the receiver doesn't shorten the route. I've seen too many instances where the receiver doesn't break the route off into a more open area of the field. I've seen too many instances where the receiver doesn't adjust to the length or height of a pass.

IMO, Iowa's receiver speed is average. Consequently, some passing plays take a longer time to develop.

All these seem, IMO, to be coaching problems. Recruit 'em better. Coach 'em better.

I don't have many quarrels with Stanzi's play this year.

Last edited:
Rick's love of the "long-ball" has bitten this team several times.

Ferentz has always been a "percentage" guy. He always makes/takes the "percentage" play. What I find ironic is that he continues to support Ricky taking the "low percentage" shot down the field when moving the chains would help out the defense and entire team much more.

That is essentially my only gripe with thestaff. They don't value possessions nearly enough. A punt isn't a bad thing but that doesn't mean it's a good thing. Valuing possessions is especially important against "tempo" teams.

Latest posts