What is "better next year" to you?

CJHawkeye

I see comments in threads like this all the time:

"Hopefully we'll be better next year..."
"Its one down year, after Fran pulled us out of the gutter. We'll be better next year."
"This is clearly a rebuilding year and the only real step back for Fran so far. We'll be better next year."

Well, what is better. Right now we're 3-11, 12-15. We have 4 games left not counting the B1G tournament. We could lose all 4 but best case in my mind is we win 2.

So lets's say we end up 5-13, 14-17. Obviously 6-12 next year is better but I don't think that's what people really are willing to accept. Evey the Pollyanna apologists seem like they're going to expect more.

I've said in other threads, we need to make the actual tournament next year - not a play in game, if we make the play-in we need to win and actually be in. So what needs to happen next year for you to consider this team better?

legit pg play. i really believe that is our gaping hole. if CM can fill that, then top 5 B1G finish and NCAA.

Connor and Wieskamp need to be noticeably better than Moss and Baer. It can make a world of difference if 2 new guys are 2 of your best 5 players. Then all we really need is for Garza, Nunge, Cook, and Pemsl to get a little better than this year. Or at least 3 out of those 4. If those things happen, plus they put max effort on defense, we can go from terrible to tournament in one year. There is also a contingency play of Moss or Dailey making a Marble like improvement in one year.

If weiskamp can be the level of SR Uthoff, this team might have a chance at middle of the big ten. The problem with this team is they have obvious deficiencies smacking them over the head and don’t have any desire to fix them. The fact that the season is almost over and they still can’t give proper effort is ridiculous. I don’t think an off-season playing against no defense like they do everyday in practice is going to fix anything. They will think they are good again and then be shocked when other teams don’t just let them score at will.

Well, we made the NIT last year so maybe we should just be happy if we can show up in that loser tournament again next year. Afterall, we're just lil ole Iowa.

How many times in the last two seasons have we been completely run out of the gym? That’s the most frustrating thing for me. No passion or fire from players or coaches.

It seems a lot of the responses aren't concerned with results. They are qualitative responses like better play from certain players etc. For me I need to see results.

Seeing Iowa actually play some.......
SpicyShockedDartfrog-max-1mb.gif

NCAA tournament and winning a game or Fran should be fired. He won’t be but he should be.

And there is no play-in game. It’s a field of 68.

I think a 20+ win season and a win in the NCAA tournament would convince me that this season was an aberration due to fluke injuries and roster imbalance from attrition and future planning.

Alternatively, making the finals in the big ten tournament would salve a major trouble and buy a little hope for the future.

Making the sweet 16 would convince me that Fran is the man as long as he wants to stay.

Latest posts