What is a Dukes Mayo Bowl?

My mom made the best pickle relish I have ever had anywhere. The closest thing I've tasted is HyVee's sweet relish. Just a taste brings me back.

Yeah, it's strange how as human beings, we form attachments to certain things.
Our 2nd year after moving to Ks and my lawnmower goes to crap. I bought a 3rd hand lawn boy, green of course. The damn thing didn't even run, but I knew the brand was top-notch, so I purchased it from a little old widow lady and fixed it up. I had it for 18 more years until the deck on which the motor was mounted was so cracked, the motor was nearly dragging the ground. The motor still worked. I nearly cried when I had to go buy a new one. I wanted to keep the old one around and see if someone could weld it, but finally just gave up on it.
It's funny how man can form bonds with machinery sometimes.
I gave it a 21 gun salute and buried it in the back yard. Just kidding.

Oh, for sure! I think we're particular prone to falling into sentimentality for anything with an engine, because we tend to think of that stuff as "alive" anyways. Just think of the language we use when we talk about an engine - highly personified.

My strangest attachment I have ever formed though is a 3 ft bubble level. It is a cheapo plastic one from Home Depot that literally broke in half the first time I used it (my fault - I had left it propped up on end and it tipped over and smacked the floor). I super glued it back together and have used it ever since. The super glue eventually wore out and now the break is tightly wound with duct tape.

It's the world's most awful level, but I have this crazy level of sentimentality about it because I bought it when we still lived in Iowa and I remember doing all sorts of projects around the house in it when our kids were little and all that sort of stuff. No lie, if it ever got completely destroyed or lost, I would cry - I'm 100% sure of it. I'm sure a psychologist could have a field day with all this.

I'm a mayo-only person, but I do have a soft spot in my heart for Miracle Whip.

The go to sandwich my mom always made me when I was a little kid was white bread, bologna, Miracle Whip, and mustard. I probably ate 10,000 of them.

If I had a field trip to go on as a kid, that was the sandwich.

When she'd drop me off at the park to fish for the day, out would come a bologna sandwich without even asking.

She worked nights and if I was hungry before real supper she'd make me one then too. Loved those things.

Jesus christ man, I'm getting all choked up just thinking about it. Weird how certain things can do that to you. Every single time I see Miracle Whip in the store I think about my mom, not food. Same thing with Lava soap. That stuff has such a distinctive smell and my old man washed his hands with it every day when he came home from work. I smell that stuff now I turn into a mess instantly and I have to walk away.
I’m not a Miracle Whip guy, either. But I do have a soft spot in my heart for it.

I was lucky enough to be a student manager in the late 70s/early 80s. On game day, our lunch in the equipment cubby was a stack of bologna and lettuce sandwiches on what I figure was Wonder Bread, with Miracle Whip. I don’t recall any American cheese, but it could’ve been there.

Every time I taste the stuff now I’m right back there.

Oh, for sure! I think we're particular prone to falling into sentimentality for anything with an engine, because we tend to think of that stuff as "alive" anyways. Just think of the language we use when we talk about an engine - highly personified.

My strangest attachment I have ever formed though is a 3 ft bubble level. It is a cheapo plastic one from Home Depot that literally broke in half the first time I used it (my fault - I had left it propped up on end and it tipped over and smacked the floor). I super glued it back together and have used it ever since. The super glue eventually wore out and now the break is tightly wound with duct tape.

It's the world's most awful level, but I have this crazy level of sentimentality about it because I bought it when we still lived in Iowa and I remember doing all sorts of projects around the house in it when our kids were little and all that sort of stuff. No lie, if it ever got completely destroyed or lost, I would cry - I'm 100% sure of it. I'm sure a psychologist could have a field day with all this.
Duct tape= handy man's secret weapon

Latest posts