What is a Dukes Mayo Bowl?

JUST MOVE BACK TO IOWA AND EAT YOUR HY-VEE BRAND "SALAD DRESSING" AND BBQ SAUCE FULL OF HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP.
I'm a mayo-only person, but I do have a soft spot in my heart for Miracle Whip.

The go to sandwich my mom always made me when I was a little kid was white bread, bologna, Miracle Whip, and mustard. I probably ate 10,000 of them.

If I had a field trip to go on as a kid, that was the sandwich.

When she'd drop me off at the park to fish for the day, out would come a bologna sandwich without even asking.

She worked nights and if I was hungry before real supper she'd make me one then too. Loved those things.

Jesus christ man, I'm getting all choked up just thinking about it. Weird how certain things can do that to you. Every single time I see Miracle Whip in the store I think about my mom, not food. Same thing with Lava soap. That stuff has such a distinctive smell and my old man washed his hands with it every day when he came home from work. I smell that stuff now I turn into a mess instantly and I have to walk away.

The go to sandwich my mom always made me when I was a little kid was white bread, bologna, Miracle Whip, and mustard. I probably ate 10,000 of them.

When she'd drop me off at the park to fish for the day, out would come a bologna sandwich without even asking.

She worked nights and if I was hungry before real supper she'd make me one then too. Loved those things.

Jesus christ man, I'm getting all choked up just thinking about it. Weird how certain things can do that to you. Every single time I see Miracle Whip in the store I think about my mom, not food. Same thing with Lava soap. That stuff has such a distinctive smell and my old man washed his hands with it every day when he came home from work. I smell that stuff now I turn into a mess instantly and I have to walk away.

Well by God, now you've got me all choked up. Your family was so poor that you couldn't even afford to throw a piece of Hy-Vee American "cheese" on your bologna sammich. I thought I had it bad. Just goes to show, unless you're living under a garbage dump in Sri Lanka, there are probably people out there who have it worse than you.

Well by God, now you've got me all choked up. Your family was so poor that you couldn't even afford to throw a piece of Hy-Vee American "cheese" on your bologna sammich. I thought I had it bad. Just goes to show, unless you're living under a garbage dump in Sri Lanka, there are probably people out there who have it worse than you.
The only thing Kraft singles went on was tater tot casserole.

You know what? I'm driving straight to the store to get some Miracle Whip and bologna when I get off work, and I'm having a circa 1985 bologna fucking sandwich for supper. And a glass of milk which I never drink anymore but it's how I rolled back then. And I'm gonna eat it while watching Reading Rainbow on YouTube because I was a nerd and that's what I did, and then I'm going to sort through baseball cards for a couple hours. The greatest Christmas present I ever got was from my mom...a full set 1988 1989 Upper Deck that I begged relentlessly for...and I still have it in the box.

Thanks for the thread, boys. I'm gonna have a hoot tonight.

Last edited:
The only thing Kraft singles went on was tater tot casserole.

You know what? I'm driving straight to the store to get some Miracle Whip and bologna when I get off work, and I'm having a circa 1985 bologna fucking sandwich for supper. And a glass of milk which I never drink anymore but it's how I rolled back then. And I'm gonna eat it while watching Reading Rainbow on YouTube because I was a nerd and that's what I did, and then I'm going to sort through baseball cards for a couple hours. The greatest Christmas present I ever got was from my mom...a full set 1988 Upper Deck that I begged relentlessly for...and I still have it in the box.

Thanks for the thread, boys. I'm gonna have a hoot tonight.

Sorry, bud, but '89 was the first year for Upper Deck sets. Ken Griffey Jr. was card 1.

Kraft singles? Fancy. Too good for the Hy-Vee or Wal-Mart brand?

I still get bologna. Make my boy bologna with Dukes and cojack cheese. He loves them.

I still keep Kraft Singles around. I eat chipped beef on toast (NO peas) and I make Mac n’ Cheese with (yahoo!) Velveeta. Thanks, mom. So there.

Great Value Deluxe American Cheese is in my fridge.

But it's for the kids, I got to have Great Value baby swiss on my sandwiches.
Walmart 's house brand is actually decent stuff most times.

We eat a lot of seafood in my house, and as far as quality their frozen shrimp is damn good stuff for $6/lb. I always get a kick out of people in the midwest buying "fresh" shrimp for $14.99/lb when it's just bulk frozen shrimp that the grocery store thaws out and lets sit in their meat counter getting mushy for 8 hours.

I grew up on Spaghetti-Os and butter on white bread. LOVED that shit. played like I was a cowboy eating beans.

The other go to was broiling bread on one side, flipping it and putting a slice of Kraft american cheese and pepperoni on it and broiling that side. Still eat those to this day. LOVE THEM.

I remember the moment moment when I transcended white bread and ham and discovered Rye bread.

Kroger's in Peoria has it and I like it. Wife however is one of those who only use Miracle Whip but still calls it mayo in recipes.

I grew up on Spaghetti-Os and butter on white bread. LOVED that shit. played like I was a cowboy eating beans.

The other go to was broiling bread on one side, flipping it and putting a slice of Kraft american cheese and pepperoni on it and broiling that side. Still eat those to this day. LOVE THEM.
Damn. I might try that

I love sauteing sweet onions, garlic, and a Portuguese sausage (Linguisa), then deglazing the pan with a dry white wine, add a little chicken stock and cream, then pasta of your choice and you are almost there. Dust with a fine aged parmesan, and sprinkle in some crushed fresh basil leaves.

Or the baloney and mayo, it all works.

Fried baloney with a little bit of mustard on it was the shit. Or fry it up and melt some American cheese on it was also very good. You grow up poor, you find creative things to do with baloney.:)

Not a big mayo guy.....unless Dukes has a little kick to it ....it is not going to move the needle for me.

Yeah, it's strange how as human beings, we form attachments to certain things.
Our 2nd year after moving to Ks and my lawnmower goes to crap. I bought a 3rd hand lawn boy, green of course. The damn thing didn't even run, but I knew the brand was top-notch, so I purchased it from a little old widow lady and fixed it up. I had it for 18 more years until the deck on which the motor was mounted was so cracked, the motor was nearly dragging the ground. The motor still worked. I nearly cried when I had to go buy a new one. I wanted to keep the old one around and see if someone could weld it, but finally just gave up on it.
It's funny how man can form bonds with machinery sometimes.
I gave it a 21 gun salute and buried it in the back yard. Just kidding.

Latest posts