What if KOK were Iowa's OC this year?

1) Exactly, and
2) I'm talking eye-test resemblance, not statistical resemblance. Other than where JVB ultimately throws the ball, do our plays look any different? I think they look remarkably similar to KOK.

This shows you don't know a whole lot.

The first 8 games Iowa was very different offensively. The last 2 games Iowa actually has thrown some of KOK tendencies in for JVB. When that happens JVB and the offense looks pretty good. The problem is it doesn't last and those play slowly but surely go away throughout the game.

GD has called a KoK offense more and more towards the end of the season. I noticed this, and actually asked Hawkeye Game Film about it. He agreed. I'm an amateur, he knows what he is talking about. I think the answer to the question is more about talent level and execution, rather than who is OC and what plays are being called.

I would agree with the OP about if the results don't changes next year, and the year after, I'm going to rethink this. If he needs to go at that point, I'll admit I was wrong, and help usher him out the door to the extent possible.

Thank you. Your exactly right. You can see it for sure..

Funny to think, right, given how much heat he took...I think they are 6-4 at worst and likely 7-3. Do you score more than 9pts against ISU? I think so. Do you beat CMU? Probably. Do you split with Purdue/Indiana? Not a reach.I am not on the 'Fire Greg Davis' train. I want to see another season with the kids coming back in year two. Kirk is no fool but he can't really want an offense that is doing so much targeting underneath that compresses the entire passing scheme and then hurts the running scheme..but if Iowa continues to attack laterally and underneath next season, forgoing the deeper and intermediate passing game, then I will definitely have a different opinion next year.Then again, maybe there would not be a difference. It's not like Iowa had an offensive powerhouse during the KOK years.
How in the world can you say we'd beat Central Michigan? We put up our highest point total of the season, with a 200+ yard rusher and a solid game from Vandy. That game was lost due to HORRIBLE defense and yet another epic special teams meltdown. That was a Phil Parker/Kirk Ferentz loss, the offense had absolutely nothing at all to do with it.

How in the world can you say we'd beat Central Michigan? We put up our highest point total of the season, with a 200+ yard rusher and a solid game from Vandy. That game was lost due to HORRIBLE defense and yet another epic special teams meltdown. That was a Phil Parker/Kirk Ferentz loss, the offense had absolutely nothing at all to do with it.

You mean the 31 we hung on a team giving up 36.3 per game? In the MAC.

Maybe the offense didn't lose that game but they sure didn't win it.

Completely disagree. If you look at the routes that were being ran last year compared to the routes being ran this year there is a world of difference. Iowa has seemingly lost the ability to run fade routes or quick slants right up the middle for 5-7 yards or comeback plays that gain 10-12 yards. The only plays that Iowa can complete now are 1-2 yard drag passes where the receiver takes a half step off the line and turns around. I also believe that KoK would take advantage of having a 6'7 tight end where Davis has not.

This years offense is Greg Davis. Not Kirk Ferentz.

A-F'ing-men

If people really don't see the difference in the O this year compared to last especially in the passing game than you either are a moron or know nothing about football.

GD has called a KoK offense more and more towards the end of the season. I noticed this, and actually asked Hawkeye Game Film about it. He agreed. I'm an amateur, he knows what he is talking about. I think the answer to the question is more about talent level and execution, rather than who is OC and what plays are being called.

I would agree with the OP about if the results don't changes next year, and the year after, I'm going to rethink this. If he needs to go at that point, I'll admit I was wrong, and help usher him out the door to the extent possible.

I guarantee that if KOK was still are OC there isn't a chance in hell that he would call a play on 4th and 3 that has 3 of the 4 guys running a 5 yard hitch route and the 4th running a flat route. Sorry for as crappy as KOK was at times there isn't a chance that is the play call he comes up with in that situation.

We are +11 in turnovers. The defense hasn't been amazing but they have done enough for the team to win. The offense hasn't put up points to win

Totally agree. This Defense hasn't been great but the Offense is one of the worst I have ever seen.

You mean the 31 we hung on a team giving up 36.3 per game? In the MAC.Maybe the offense didn't lose that game but they sure didn't win it.
Are you F'n kidding? We had a 9 point lead with like a minute and a half left. You are a complete football moron if you can't recognize the offense did more than enough to win that game. Edit: Our defense also gave up 5 more points than CMU's scoring average this year, so that aspect would appear to be a draw.

My preseason thoughts were that this team had 6-7 win floor with O'Keefe and 3-4 win floor with GD.

As the last defender of JVB standing, the kid IS NOT AS BAD AS HE LOOKS. Yes, McNutt helped a lot last season, but JVB threw 25 TDs against 7 picks last year. That is precisely the boring, average QB play we need to win 7 or 8 games. And we saw some glimpses from the youngster in 2010 at Columbus with the great TD pass in a narrow window and the TD pass that Terry S dropped. The raw talent is there, but GD has completely put this offense in reverse with the new routes and independent reads that the recievers appear to be making on many plays (sorry, but there is no way JVB is so inaccurate that he misses several passes a game by 5+ yards - he and the receivers are on totally different pages at least 25% of the time it seems).

And my Monday Morning QB take is that Davis's offense with these multiple reads is exacerbating JVB's locking on problem because he doesn't know what the primary receiver is going to do and if he looks him off he has no idea where the secondary receivers are or what routes they are running. I'll give Davis a pass due to the injuries because the o-line looks bad right now and the RB situation is grim, but O'Keefe actually managed injuries fairly well and I don't think that even with the injuries he loses to Indiana and Purdue.

From a purely technical perspective and assuming away the problems caused by GD's failure to stretch defenses with anything remotely deep, I do think Davis has a good offensive strategy, but the problem with it is that it is not suited for the college game where you have significant year over year turnover and limited practice time. In other words, the pass plays seem to me to be better suited for the NFL with a highly skilled and intelligent QB who has worked with his receivers and coaches for countless hours. The strategy simply asks far too much of college kids.

For all of the crap O'Keefe got, he did understand the virtues of a more limited playbook with more focus on execution and I think that strategy won a ton of games for us not because the O'Keefe offenses were high powered, but they often converted a few key third downs late and could change field position, which played into the macro strategy of running the team. Obviously, the downside to using O'Keefe's philosophy is that we became easier to game plan and for defenses to execute against us. But right now the offensive coaching looks so bad that defenses don't even need to really execute against us because we shoot ourselves in the foot. Norm used to defend his bend but don't break defense on the basis of "well, there aren't a lot of college QBs who can consistently beat you on drives where they have to make several good passes in order to score so we will defend against the big play and make that QB really work to beat us" and he was right (save for Northwestern) and then of course we get an offensive coordinator who has built a strategy that is built precisely on an expectation that the QB is going to have to go something like 7 out of 10 or better EVERY FREAKING DRIVE in order for our offense to score. It makes no sense and is completely counter to what I think Kurt's macro philosophy is.

Sorry for the rant.

Not a rant. A pretty logical argument here.

I guarantee that if KOK was still are OC there isn't a chance in hell that he would call a play on 4th and 3 that has 3 of the 4 guys running a 5 yard hitch route and the 4th running a flat route. Sorry for as crappy as KOK was at times there isn't a chance that is the play call he comes up with in that situation.

I'm hesitant to be critical of a player, but that last play was on our QB, not the play call. We will agree to disagree here I'm guessing.

I'm hesitant to be critical of a player, but that last play was on our QB, not the play call. We will agree to disagree here I'm guessing.

Regardless of whether or not Vandy should have realized it was covered, any play in which a 1-yard out route is the primary read is ******* stupid.

Are you F'n kidding? We had a 9 point lead with like a minute and a half left. You are a complete football moron if you can't recognize the offense did more than enough to win that game. Edit: Our defense also gave up 5 more points than CMU's scoring average this year, so that aspect would appear to be a draw.

Sure, the offense did enough that they should have won that game. If KOK were the one calling plays, though, it's not unreasonable to think they would have scored more than 31 points. Which is what the other poster was alluding to.

Did you get that, or are you a deductive reasoning moron?

Complete football moron? Really?

I point out (in a thread about the offense) that the offense scored fewer points than the opponent gives up on average and you call me a moron.

I will probably cry myself to sleep tonight, hope you're happy.

Regardless of whether or not Vandy should have realized it was covered, any play in which a 1-yard out route is the primary read is ******* stupid.

I don't think it was the primary read. I had thought even JVB said it wasn't option #1?

Latest posts