What I would like to see just once...............

bxy

Is some accountability..........

Especially the coaching staff...especially Kirk Ferentz.

I would like to hear:

"I would first off just like to apologize. I would like to apologize to the university, to the student body, to the alumni, to our great fans, and to the team"

"I get paid handily to coach this team and this week, like many weeks, I have failed horribly. I did not get them ready to play this week and my game plan was flimsy, and my coaching during the game was not good. I was thoroughly out coached again, today, and did not live up to my role as the leader of this team."

"I recruited these players. I chose them. The responsibility is on me. My teams consistently crumble in the 4th quarter and that is a reflection of my lack of preparation and poor coaching. We have excellent players, good recruiting but I frequently am bested by inferior teams and inexperienced, less compensated coaches during crunch time."

"I will work harder and commit to this program to try with everything in my power to turn this around by having a better game plan, having the players ready to play, and stop the pattern of me being out coached, especially in the 4th quarter."

"Again, I am truly sorry."

Gee, good one.......Some people aren't real thrilled with being in the Minnesota, Indiana, NW, Purdue category......but, by all means don't stop your fantasizing of Coach Ferentz in a speedo with a cape on.

Gee, good one.......Some people aren't real thrilled with being in the Minnesota, Indiana, NW, Purdue category......but, by all means don't stop your fantasizing of Coach Ferentz in a speedo with a cape on.

Look, I'm not happy at all with the way things are going over in Iowa City but I also know wishing the coach would come out and admit to all of his failures is the dumbest idea ever. Would it be refreshing? Sure. But like politicians the idea that coaches would convey weakness is ludicrous at best.

I'm pretty sure that Bo Pelini did this after the Wisconsin-Nebraska game. He apologized to the fans for the poor performance and that this will not happen again.

Apologizing over a loss is one thing. Apologizing over poor recruiting and stuff like the OP suggested is another level. There is no way a coach is going to come out and say he failed at recruiting. That would be no different than throwing his players under the bus.

Perhaps not that over the top, but some semblance of ownership would be encouraging. Otherwise, it comes across as if he has his head in the sand. I know he doesn't, he generally addresses things behind closed doors in an effort to save anyone from public humiliation (a reflection of how much integrity he has), but when you see folks under-perform as often as his coaching staff and players do against inferior competition, he may be best served by taking a different approach. What I saw in Minnesota was not "just football", it was a meltdown of epic proportions with a completely lethargic effort against a BAD BAD football team that played with 100x more emotion than our soft team. As much as I hated watching Tate throw tantrums on the field during his career, I think I would actually be encouraged by seeing somebody go ballistic like him just to prove to themselves, theirs peers, their coaching staff and least importantly us the fans that they are engaged and motivated to do better.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that Bo Pelini did this after the Wisconsin-Nebraska game. He apologized to the fans for the poor performance and that this will not happen again.

While I think Bo Pelini is a complete meathead, my level of respect for the guy did go up when he owned up to that performance. I didn't think it was necessarily bad coaching that day, I don't even think it was that bad of a performance beyond Taylor Martinez playing like a bonehead, but you can definitely tell him players play hard for him and buy into what he is trying to accomplish.

Our friends in Iowa City on the other hand, it's hard to say at this point. They say all the right things, but I see a lot of bad tendencies with no real plan to address things with a much more difficult schedule on the horizon.

Latest posts