What has The Tournament revealed

longtimer

First Big Ten as usual was overrated. Hard to debate it. All year long we hear how great they were and how hey beat up on each other. If Purdue goes down Michigan is the only team playing next weekend. 3 All Americans and those teams are gone. Last year Michigan was the only team to survive the first weekend.

2-22 Iowa State on to the Sweet 16. Great defense and maybe their run isn't done yet. I've read on this site from some who say coaching change isn't the answer but hard to dispute the success of a new coach who grabs a key transfer and makes a run in the tournament. Kind of makes you wonder when he starts recruiting some better players what the future holds? Sure wish i was wondering the same for Iowa.

-What I have further learned just like never trusting a fart......it is I will believe it when I see it if they get out of the first weekend...even if they should. Both Men and Women really.

-The Wilson ball sucks for those teams who don't shoot well with it.

-NCAA officials suck, so don't let them decide the game for you.

-1st year coach can make the Sweet 16.

-15 seed can make the Sweet 16.

If you are a coach and you punch/slap an opposing coach in the regular season, your team can still get to the Sweet 16.

Big Ten chokes
I went to the Duke/MSU and Miami/Auburn games last night. I've been to a ton of Big Ten games and I have to say that the athleticism of the Big Ten looks downright laughable compared to what I saw last night. MSU kept it close but that was because they were hot from three point range. Had they been cold or average they would have lost by 15 or 20. I don't know if the conference chokes or if we just totally suck. I suspect we just suck.

Congrats to Iowa State for hiring a coach who knows how to game the transfer market.

Serious views that I have thought about prior to this post question.

1) The BIG 10 is always on a yearly basis declared to be this rough, physical an tough conference. It is not. Each year they get bullied in this tournament and play more finesse than other teams. They are not one of the tougher conferences and the team speed in the conference lacks overall. The top team defense is not there.

2) The referees have really swallowed their whistles this tournament and letting the players play. Calls are baffling and inconsistent at times. Guys going up and getting hammered at the rim then they call simple touch fouls on occasion that don't really impact the game. I wish they could be more consistent and in the middle of the two points above. Let them play but only call fouls that impact a play such as on offense.

3) BIG teams don't adjust well to #2 within the game.

Last edited:
One other thing....match ups matter. Somehow teams will run into competition that they don't match up well against. Again see Iowa and Wisky for example. Richmond point guard just abused JBo, next game he did nothing. Tyler Wahl has been a problem for most B10 teams all season, last night Iowa St. seemed to have him shut down. Iowa St. will have their hands full with Miami. Finally, one other lesson.....seedings for some teams seem to be questionable.

You all act like there is a massive difference in talent and the Big Ten teams are getting blown out of these games. The Big Ten teams were in all of these games, exception was Indiana but at least they won their First Four game, perhaps they had tired legs. The only real black mark on the Big Ten was Iowa losing to Richmond.

You all act like there is a massive difference in talent and the Big Ten teams are getting blown out of these games. The Big Ten teams were in all of these games, exception was Indiana but at least they won their First Four game, perhaps they had tired legs. The only real black mark on the Big Ten was Iowa losing to Richmond.

No, the BIG the past few years is touted as the best conference. Nobody said anything measuring how much they get blown out. It's about wins and stout defense. They shit the bed completely last year. They got 9 teams in this year, the most of any league. It's just that these other teams seem to be tougher teams many times. Will see if Purdue can make a run.

No, the BIG the past few years is touted as the best conference. Nobody said anything measuring how much they get blown out. It's about wins and stout defense. They shit the bed completely last year. They got 9 teams in this year, the most of any league. It's just that these other teams seem to be tougher teams many times. Will see if Purdue can make a run.
purdue has been given a ready made run on a silver platter, but i suspect their lack of defense and a few questionable foul calls on their big men will slow them down.

Iowa pretty clearly deserved to lose, for a variety of reasons that had nothing to do with the refs, and this isn't sour grapes about why they lost. However, the officiating in this tournament (and for as long as I can remember in college) has been awful and renders many of the games unwatchable.

I watched the Baylor/UNC game through the end of regulation and, while UNC absolutely choked, the refs allowed Baylor to mug UNC on every press and trap during their comeback. Mayer from Baylor should have picked up his fifth foul many different times in regulation for grabbing, hip-checking, and humping every ballhandler into the out-of-bounds or half-court lines. And offensive foul calls throughout college basketball are atrocious. Flopping gets rewarded almost every single time. Jay Bilas tweeted criticism about this particular game's officiating and there also was a scathing opinion piece on USA Today's site about how bad it was.

But, to the point of this thread, I'd say this tournament has revealed or highlighted a few things that severely diminish NCAA basketball as a product and simultaneously pose problems for the Hawks:

1) The officiating is awful and rewards teams in the postseason that reach, grab, flop, and outright assault opponents. That's not playing "physical" defense, it's fouling. There are rules designed to prevent that, if the officials choose to enforce them consistently. But by trying to stay out of the way, swallow their whistles, and not be the story, refs inadvertently ARE becoming the story. Basketball sucks to watch (and play) when the less-skilled teams keep it close or even win simply because the refs allow them to turn every possession into a press-man coverage drill. Hell, football refs call more fouls for illegal contact than college basketball refs. The NBA realized this years ago and emphasized calling these types of fouls to increase freedom of movement, especially on the perimeter. Now, the NBA game is faster-paced, higher-scoring, and better to watch than when the Knicks and Pistons mugged their way through the playoffs back in the '90s and '00s and kept scores absurdly low. It's still very physical, especially in the post and on the boards, but it generally flows nicely and showcases the insane skills of its players. It's not perfect, of course, but it's better.

Iowa's offense resembles a lot of modern NBA teams, with its emphases on fast tempo, movement, and shooting. It's beautiful to watch when it's clicking, but it falls apart when the opposing team is allowed to stop that motion by reaching and grabbing all game. Teams that do this are being rewarded in this tournament and advancing, even when their offense is absolutely horrible. The only teams able to overcome this style are teams with elite talents throughout their rosters like Gonzaga and Duke, and even they might fall victim before long.

To be clear, while I don't like the way they do it, I can't really blame Iowa State or other teams for doing this. They're simply taking advantage of what the NCAA is allowing them to do and being rewarded for doing so.

2) The transfer portal has rendered program and player development virtually meaningless when it comes to the tournament. With the exception of minor-ish contributors like Rebraca, Fran has almost solely relied on homegrown players his staff has recruited and developed. I appreciate this about Fran and it makes it more rewarding when our players succeed, but it has its limits when there are clear needs on the roster, like this year's desperate need for better defense and dribble creation in a slugfest. A team like Iowa State was able to turn things around because they snagged a couple of free agents from the B1G (Brockington and Kalscheur) and emphasized "physical" defense to make up for horrible shooting and a lack of offensive cohesion. Why bother developing anyone anymore when you can just sign experienced players who are known quantities, then hack the shit out of opponents with impunity to keep games close? Hoiberg's ISU teams spearheaded the transfer trend, but now it's everyone's reality. Fran needs to adjust somewhat, or risk this same result every single year.

Iowa pretty clearly deserved to lose, for a variety of reasons that had nothing to do with the refs, and this isn't sour grapes about why they lost. However, the officiating in this tournament (and for as long as I can remember in college) has been awful and renders many of the games unwatchable.

I watched the Baylor/UNC game through the end of regulation and, while UNC absolutely choked, the refs allowed Baylor to mug UNC on every press and trap during their comeback. Mayer from Baylor should have picked up his fifth foul many different times in regulation for grabbing, hip-checking, and humping every ballhandler into the out-of-bounds or half-court lines. And offensive foul calls throughout college basketball are atrocious. Flopping gets rewarded almost every single time. Jay Bilas tweeted criticism about this particular game's officiating and there also was a scathing opinion piece on USA Today's site about how bad it was.

But, to the point of this thread, I'd say this tournament has revealed or highlighted a few things that severely diminish NCAA basketball as a product and simultaneously pose problems for the Hawks:

1) The officiating is awful and rewards teams in the postseason that reach, grab, flop, and outright assault opponents. That's not playing "physical" defense, it's fouling. There are rules designed to prevent that, if the officials choose to enforce them consistently. But by trying to stay out of the way, swallow their whistles, and not be the story, refs inadvertently ARE becoming the story. Basketball sucks to watch (and play) when the less-skilled teams keep it close or even win simply because the refs allow them to turn every possession into a press-man coverage drill. Hell, football refs call more fouls for illegal contact than college basketball refs. The NBA realized this years ago and emphasized calling these types of fouls to increase freedom of movement, especially on the perimeter. Now, the NBA game is faster-paced, higher-scoring, and better to watch than when the Knicks and Pistons mugged their way through the playoffs back in the '90s and '00s and kept scores absurdly low. It's still very physical, especially in the post and on the boards, but it generally flows nicely and showcases the insane skills of its players. It's not perfect, of course, but it's better.

Iowa's offense resembles a lot of modern NBA teams, with its emphases on fast tempo, movement, and shooting. It's beautiful to watch when it's clicking, but it falls apart when the opposing team is allowed to stop that motion by reaching and grabbing all game. Teams that do this are being rewarded in this tournament and advancing, even when their offense is absolutely horrible. The only teams able to overcome this style are teams with elite talents throughout their rosters like Gonzaga and Duke, and even they might fall victim before long.

To be clear, while I don't like the way they do it, I can't really blame Iowa State or other teams for doing this. They're simply taking advantage of what the NCAA is allowing them to do and being rewarded for doing so.

2) The transfer portal has rendered program and player development virtually meaningless when it comes to the tournament. With the exception of minor-ish contributors like Rebraca, Fran has almost solely relied on homegrown players his staff has recruited and developed. I appreciate this about Fran and it makes it more rewarding when our players succeed, but it has its limits when there are clear needs on the roster, like this year's desperate need for better defense and dribble creation in a slugfest. A team like Iowa State was able to turn things around because they snagged a couple of free agents from the B1G (Brockington and Kalscheur) and emphasized "physical" defense to make up for horrible shooting and a lack of offensive cohesion. Why bother developing anyone anymore when you can just sign experienced players who are known quantities, then hack the shit out of opponents with impunity to keep games close? Hoiberg's ISU teams spearheaded the transfer trend, but now it's everyone's reality. Fran needs to adjust somewhat, or risk this same result every single year.
Good stuff

Good take. I can't tell you how many times I screamed at my TV this weekend when flopping was rewarded. Many, many offensive fouls were called when it seemed to me that defenders were clearly moving or just flopping. I think I may have seen one flopping warning since the beginning of the tournament. May have missed a bunch but it seems like what they called during the season is not what is being called now.

Latest posts