What Happens When Ferentz is Done at Iowa?

Who Will be the Next Iowa Football Coach?

• Total voters

Section136

Personally, I think KF retires after Steven's senior year.

Whenever the time comes that Iowa is looking for their next football coach, who does Iowa get to replace Ferentz?

Please vote in poll and explain in thread if you would like.

In response to your question, Iowa will very likely stop having offenses that are so terrible they are ranked in the bottom ten of d-1a schools in the nation.

FreedComanche

In response to your question, Iowa will very likely stop having offenses that are so terrible they are ranked in the bottom ten of d-1a schools in the nation.

FreedComanche

How many times has that happened in KF's tenure?

Quit hijacking every damn thread with your repetitive negative posting. Clear violation of board rules.

IMHO Iowa will be unable to attract a "big name" coach from the BCS. Furthermore, they will get a lot of pressure NOT to hire someone from a mid level conference, based on our assumption that it would be beneath Iowa's dignity to hire from that level (I am not saying I agree, just pointing out an argument that will be made). So, I think their search will include, or even focus on, coaches with Iowa ties. Maybe a Stoops would be available; maybe a Brett Beilema would consider a return, dependent on his ability to be successful at Arkansas; there are others out there from the Iowa tree who may be ready for a shot at the Iowa job. When the smoke clears, and when a hire is made, it will be a polarizing choice, I'm afraid.

At this point, I don't think it will matter, in terms of quality applicants, whether KF is let go or heads out on his own. I do think that with the Big Ten division re-alignment, substantial pressure will be on Iowa to rise to the top, or near the top of the West. The strong opinion will be that Minnesota, Northwestern, Illinois, Purdue should be consistent wins for Iowa and that they should fight it out annually with Nebraska and Wisconsin for the title. The expectation for 4-5 division wins each year will be very high, and will increase the pressure on KF if he remains at Iowa for a few more years.

Brian will take over...

Iowa can get about any coach they want. We could have had Stoops if we wanted. We just have to be agressive in getting that type of coach. With the consistent top 25 resources & fan base, it is a great job. That said, there is no doubt it will be Brian's job to have. He will be as good or better than his father. I think he will be better.

Brian, but KF has to win some games, quite a few actually in the next few years in order for Barta or whoever to make that fly.

Mark Stoops if he has decent success at Kentucky and KF is "forced" out.

As for KF he will be in his early 60's, still too young to be just hanging around the house, TV work maybe, NFL personnel type work.

Brian, but KF has to win some games, quite a few actually in the next few years in order for Barta or whoever to make that fly.

Mark Stoops if he has decent success at Kentucky and KF is "forced" out.

As for KF he will be in his early 60's, still too young to be just hanging around the house, TV work maybe, NFL personnel type work.

Dear Lord, never in a million years would Kirk be on as a tv analyst, not only would it be like hearing someone read the farm report but in case you haven't noticed, he isn't exactly the man of a thousand words.

Dear Lord, never in a million years would Kirk be on as a tv analyst, not only would it be like hearing someone read the farm report but in case you haven't noticed, he isn't exactly the man of a thousand words.

Lou Holtz is a studio analyst. Do I need to say more.

What'll happen at that time will depend on when that time is. If it's in the next 2 or 3 yrs it's anyones guess. If it's further out then that I suspect Brian will be groomed up for it so long as he's endeared himself to Barta or whomever is calling the shots then. It's an interesting questions because going forward it'll be asked alot till it comes to pass.

IMHO Brian will take over. No doubt about it.

Well, I will say that I'm ok with that just as long as BF is clearly a qualified candidate that will do a good job, and isn't being hired just because KF wants his kid to be the next coach. That said, I would like to see our AD try to get the best coach who will take the job first before promoting from within, someone who has no head coaching experience.

Hopefully KF will get the program back on its feet and then retires so that Iowa Football is an attractive job, rather than him being fired. The latter basically means that Iowa football would have to stink, and I would rather that not be the case the next time we have a coaching vacancy. So those rooting for Iowa to lose so that KF gets fired, be careful what you wish for.

That said, who would or would not be interested is a different conversation, but I'm skeptical about the prospect of Iowa going for the gold and offering a proven coach big money. I feel they would likely go the "cost effective" route, to put it delicately.

I mentioned this in another thread but I would expect Iowa to target Fran/Lick/Alford types, accomplished coaches from mid major schools or Kirk types, accomplished position coaches in the NFL would have low level head coaching experience.

As another poster mentioned, I think Iowa could hire accomplished BCS coaches if they were willing to fork over a big contract. Basically IMO it would go something like this:

Offer 1-1.5 million a year, we're looking at Fran/Lick/Alford/Kirk (pre-Iowa) type candidates (most likely scenario)
Offer 3-5 million a year, looking at Bret Bielema types, accomplished BCS coaches from other middling BCS conference schools
Offer 8 million+ per year, now we're in Stoops category. They're not going to lure a HC away from ND, Michigan, OSU, Oregon, USC, UCLA, Texas, Bama, LSU, or FLA schools, etc because those jobs are too elite. But every other coach is going to take notice and at least pick up the phone and listen.

Last edited:
I mentioned this in another thread but I would expect Iowa to target Fran/Lick/Alford types, accomplished coaches from mid major schools or Kirk types, accomplished position coaches in the NFL would have low level head coaching experience.

As another poster mentioned, I think Iowa could hire accomplished BCS coaches if they were willing to fork over a big contract. Basically IMO it would go something like this:

Offer 1-1.5 million a year, we're looking at Fran/Lick/Alford/Kirk (pre-Iowa) type candidates (most likely scenario)
Offer 3-5 million a year, looking at Bret Bielema types, accomplished BCS coaches from other middling BCS conference schools
Offer 8 million+ per year, now we're in Stoops category. They're not going to lure a HC away from ND, Michigan, OSU, Oregon, USC, UCLA, Texas, Bama, LSU, or FLA schools, etc because those jobs are too elite. But every other coach is going to take notice and at least pick up the phone and listen.

I agree that your third scenario isn't going to happen. The top-tier schools - those jobs are too elite, and those coaches are too entrenched to take a step down for a school like Iowa, probably even if the money was better. Even after the Hayden Fry era, Iowa hired an unknown with Iowa ties rather than paying big money to a name coach.

I think your second scenario is possible - I just don't think Iowa will do it. I just have seen nothing that makes me think Iowa is willing to shuck out the big bucks on a proven coach.. Yeah I know, Kirk is getting paid Top 5 money, but that was only after he won big in the Big Ten early on in his Iowa tenure. He was an unknown when he was hired.

I personally believe Iowa would rather play it cheap and hope to catch lightning in a bottle by hiring from a mid-major and hope he can win in the Big Ten. Not that you can't get some good coaches that way though - Florida hired Urban Meyer from Utah and that paid big dividends. But you can also end up with Lick or Alford.

Neither Michigan or Wisconsin hired a big time BCS coach nor PSU or IL or IU or PU or MSU or MN or neither NU schools. Only OSU did. Many fans will expect Iowa to hire a headcoach from a BSC school and will be unreasonably disappointed when they don't.

I agree that your third scenario isn't going to happen. The top-tier schools - those jobs are too elite, and those coaches are too entrenched to take a step down for a school like Iowa, probably even if the money was better. Even after the Hayden Fry era, Iowa hired an unknown with Iowa ties rather than paying big money to a name coach.

I think your second scenario is possible - I just don't think Iowa will do it. I just have seen nothing that makes me think Iowa is willing to shuck out the big bucks on a proven coach.. Yeah I know, Kirk is getting paid Top 5 money, but that was only after he won big in the Big Ten early on in his Iowa tenure. He was an unknown when he was hired.

I personally believe Iowa would rather play it cheap and hope to catch lightning in a bottle by hiring from a mid-major and hope he can win in the Big Ten. Not that you can't get some good coaches that way though - Florida hired Urban Meyer from Utah and that paid big dividends. But you can also end up with Lick or Alford.

I think you pretty much nailed it. Going to have to hope Iowa can find that rising star from the mid major ranks even though they're extremely difficult to find and harder to keep.

I would be stunned if Iowa followed scenario #2.

Scenario #3 is unthinkable.

I would be ok with Iowa throwing big money at someone proven, it is one area that Iowa is successful at and why not take advantage of it. I mean Iowa is in the top 10 or whatever in revenue, up the anti a little bit.

I also think Bret Bielema is going to become the next coach at Iowa, he is following the Nick Saban route, waiting for the call from Barta. Just needed to get out of the Big10 and out of Alvaraz's iron curtain. Which I am all for, Iowa NEEDS swagger, bring back the bullies of the Big10!

Latest posts