What happend today?

uihawk82

I only heard the last 4 minutes. Is point guard a major problem depth wise? Did the hawks just shoot poorly?

One of the rims was of very poor quality. One was much too hard. The organizers of that tournament should consider investing in some quality control measures. There were too many in and out baskets in the first half to be coincidence. Iowa is clearly the better team, and Iowa will compete for championships this year, get into the NCAA tournament etc, if Iowa had Baer and this was in CHA Iowa would have routed that team.

One of the rims was of very poor quality. One was much too hard. The organizers of that tournament should consider investing in some quality control measures. There were too many in and out baskets in the first half to be coincidence. Iowa is clearly the better team, and Iowa will compete for championships this year, get into the NCAA tournament etc, if Iowa had Baer and this was in CHA Iowa would have routed that team.

Not sure I buy that. Both teams played on that floor and with those rims.

From some of what I heard, two familiar issues are on the radar. Lack of quality depth at PG and defense.

I watched most of the stream. We couldn't stop them driving to the hoop and we couldn't drive to the hoop without getting the ball stripped. Couple that with way too many turnovers and it was just ugly.

There guards drove to the rim over and over with ease. I can stand them getting past the guards off the dribble. The problem I see is we have a plethora of forwards and their guards didnt shoot a free throw until the end of the game. Noone should ever get to the rim without getting pounded. We have so many fouls to give with our front line.

Iowa’s offense actually let us down today. Much tougher to defend off miss shots than makes. Iowa missed a ton of shots and had a ton of turnovers.

What happened:

1) Iowa shot VERY poorly in the first half. I want to say 20% from the field and 0% from 3. Dug themselves a huge hole they couldn't get out of
2) Fran tried going zone most of the 2nd half and Louisiana cut through Iowa like butter and got easy lay-ups
3) Iowa's post players couldn't get anything going. Garza 0 points on 2 attempts.
4) Rebounding was an issue. Iowa was making a serious run late in the game only to give up long rebounds to Louisiana. Some of this was due to the zone defense. Iowa wasn't getting bodies on anyone.
5) Iowa had multiple chances to get it under 10 points but just couldn't. They hovered around 12-16 point deficit almost the entire second half. Iowa was close to cutting it to single digits multiple times around the 8-10 minute mark and just couldnt do it.

Played ok the first 8 minutes. Couldn’t make a shot. Frustration carried over defensively and it snowballed in the first half. Front court was non existent. Played ok in the 2nd half, but the hole dug in the first was too big.

we should know better than to put our faith in Iowa basketball by now guys

Meh. I was pissed at first, but its one bad half of basketball in a foreign country at 11am and missing the reigning 6th man of the year. We'll see how they respond tomorrow.

Louisiana is currently 99th on kenpom and could wind up being just a "bad" loss, not a "terrible" loss. At any rate, its not nearly the terrible loss that Omaha was last year.

It was an 11am game in a rinky dink gym and we shot about as bad as we can. We are without one of our top guys and certainly our best energy guy. We need to get a few things straightened out but we will be fine.

Yeah, he actually plays defense. Someone else that played defense was Christian Williams.

I was actually amazed that Dom Uhl got ZERO minutes. His offense is a complete black hole, but he's decent on the 3/4 court trap defense and rebounding. i remember a few games last year where Dom was in there disrupting things on the press with his length.

Fran must just be done with him completely.

I also do not understand Kriener getting 26 minutes. Nothing against Kriener, he has a role to play on this team, but if he's playing 26 minutes a game we're in a lot of trouble.

Kriener played more minutes than Cook, Garza and Moss. WUT

I also do not understand Kriener getting 26 minutes. Nothing against Kriener, he has a role to play on this team, but if he's playing 26 minutes a game we're in a lot of trouble.

Kriener played more minutes than Cook, Garza and Moss. WUT
Agreed and wtf is up with Fran limiting Moss' minutes anyway? He's one of our better on ball defenders right now along with being probably our best scorer. Only 20 minutes? And yeah I understand the fouls, but come on! He scored 24 pts in 20 minutes.