What does each Big 10 team lose next year?

This thread seems to insinuate actual hope for next season.

Hey, Hawks might even compete for middle of the pack.

Players signed in 2018 class in red.

OSU - Tate, Williams and Bates-Diop (Jr.) 4* LeDee, 4* Muhammed, 4* Washington, 4* Ahrens
MSU - Bridges (So.) and Jackson (Fr.) 4* Bingham, 4*Loyer, 4* Brown, 4* Kithier, 4* Henry
PU - V. Edwards, Haas, Mathias and Thompson 4* Dowuona, 4* Hunter, 4* Williams
NE - Gill & Taylor none
MI - Abdur-Rahkman & Robinson 4* Brazdeikis, 4* Johns, 4* DeJulius, 3* Castleton, 3* Nunez
PSU - Garner and Carr (So.) 4* Bolton, 4* Dread (awesome name)
IN - Johnson, Newkirk and Hartman 4* Hunter, 4* Phinisee, 4* Anderson, 4* Forrester
NW - Lindsey, McIntosh and Skelly 4* Nance, 4* Kopp, 3*Young, NR Lathon
MD - Cekovsky and Nickens 5* Smith, 4* Wiggins, 4* Ayala
WI - No one NR Curry
IA - No one 4* Weiskamp, NR Fredrick
MN - Mason and Lynch 4* Uturo, 4* Kalschuer, NR Omersa
RUT - Freeman and Williams 4* Mathis, NR Harper
IL - No one 4* Dusunmu

We did beat out IU, PSU, Ball State, and Bowling Green for Frederick. His team crushes teams with enrollment of 500 to 700. His video shows 1 baseline move and lot's of square up shooting with good form. Mediocre vertical, but not bad.

Another marginal and slow athlete that can shoot. When JBo breaks down the D our 2/3 guys will have open shots with Cook for the rebound put back. Makings of a great 1/2 court. Fantastic transition scores. Sweet 16 here we come. Looks like everyone but Wisky will be in the sweet 16. 13 Bigs out of 16 positions. Of course there could be an upset or 2, but this looks great.

Wonder if we'll have to play in a play in play in Big Tourney game.

We did beat out IU, PSU, Ball State, and Bowling Green for Frederick. His team crushes teams with enrollment of 500 to 700. His video shows 1 baseline move and lot's of square up shooting with good form. Mediocre vertical, but not bad.

Another marginal and slow athlete that can shoot. When JBo breaks down the D our 2/3 guys will have open shots with Cook for the rebound put back. Makings of a great 1/2 court. Fantastic transition scores. Sweet 16 here we come. Looks like everyone but Wisky will be in the sweet 16. 13 Bigs out of 16 positions. Of course there could be an upset or 2, but this looks great.

Every video I've seen on Fredrick, is against athletically challenged competition. So, I'll have to wait and see. My problem is we are a sub par athletic team that can't play defense (one causes the other). Particularly in the back court. Our 3 additions to the back court next season are Connor, Fredrick and Weiskamp. None of which will reverse the problems I have listed. So, we'll have to wait and see. Fran's current roster leads me to believe that I am correct in my assessment.

Every video I've seen on Fredrick, is against athletically challenged competition. So, I'll have to wait and see. My problem is we are a sub par athletic team that can't play defense (one causes the other). Particularly in the back court. Our 3 additions to the back court next season are Connor, Fredrick and Weiskamp. None of which will reverse the problems I have listed. So, we'll have to wait and see. Fran's current roster leads me to believe that I am correct in my assessment.

Are you old enough to remember Special K, Steve Waite, Kevin Boyle, Bobby Hansen and Gannon all playing on the floor at the same time? They were more athletic than what we are looking at if Cook is gone.

Are you old enough to remember Special K, Steve Waite, Kevin Boyle, Bobby Hansen and Gannon all playing on the floor at the same time? They were more athletic than what we are looking at if Cook is gone.
I started watching Iowa football and basketball in 1979, so yes, I remember those players. And you are correct.

Is Wieskamp really not athletic? I've heard he was.

So let's say Connor is a better defender than Moss (doesn't take much at all), Weiskamp is a better defender than Baer (doesn't take much at all) and Bohannon is a better defender with a healthy foot than he was with a jacked up foot. That would be 3 positions upgraded on defense.

There is a very realistic chance we will have 2 new starters next year. That is a pretty big upgrade for a team. Baer can go back to being a bench player. Bohannon can play off the ball more. We will have more shooters on the team. Garza and Nunge with a year to get stronger. We will have a fresh start and a reason to play harder. There is a lot of things that point to a chance to be better. Wieskamp and Bohannon shooting 3s sounds pretty darn good to me.

Isn't Connor athletic too? Really long for his position, pretty athletic, and really smart is a pretty good start for good defense.

D1 pg athletic....no. Not being smart you really should watch high level bigger school HS games outside of Iowa. You really wouldnt be making that statement as a question if you did.

As a 3 no. As a 2 ok to low. 2s oft are strong. He doesnt shoot like a 2. As a 2 ok of there are not lots of other positions.

Last edited:

Xavier offered Frederick

D1 pg athletic....yes. D1 pg quick.....no. 2 sport athletes aren't exactly a dime a dozen.
Just my opinion, but if you’re hoping for an impact out of Connor other than spot minutes, I think you’re in for another major disappointment.

D1 pg athletic....yes. D1 pg quick.....no. 2 sport athletes aren't exactly a dime a dozen.

He's a 2 sport athlete at Iowa where his dad is a coach. Also, the chubby Cubs outfielder was a two sporter who you wouldn't want as a point guard.

I can't believe any of you can be excited about this. This team just isn't P5 level. CM doesn't have the personality as a 2. Shooting is not his first thought. He also is not very strong.

On a solid P5 team he is a 7/8 player whose role would be to pass around the defense when playing certain teams at certain times.

Xavier offered Frederick

He would be a fine recruit for a team that was needing a spot up number 2 shooter. We already have several of those. I have no problem with him. I have a problem with bringing in a taller JBo.

JBo
JW
CM
Frederick

Where is the 1? Where is the legit 3?

He would be a fine recruit for a team that was needing a spot up number 2 shooter. We already have several of those. I have no problem with him. I have a problem with bringing in a taller JBo.

JBo
JW
CM
Frederick

Where is the 1? Where is the legit 3?
I do agree with that.

Isn't Connor athletic too? Really long for his position, pretty athletic, and really smart is a pretty good start for good defense.
Not athletic in the lateral quickness/vertical leap categories. If he were playing for a coach that coached and demanded defense, he is athletic enough. Because he's playing for Fran, he won't be pushed to play good defense. So, it's a mute point. No?
I see people arguing how the players coming in can solve the problems. If they were known as great defenders in high school, that might hold some water. None of Connor/Fredrick/Weiskamp were good defenders at the high school or AAU levels. Weiskamp might fit that bill as a small forward at the BIG level. Even if Fran and this team dedicated themselves to practice and play great team defense, they have to start from scratch and they are very young and inexperienced, so it's gonna take time. I get that you want to believe in the future. I'd love to believe as well. But This roster is another 2nd round NCAA blow out loss at it's fullest potential, with Fran as head coach. He's not detail oriented enough to be any better than that. That's not an opinion. His coaching record confirms this.