What do y'all think about Brian's pay cut and ultimatum announced publicly today?

Respectfully, I really think you are missing the point here. The word “public” changes the ball game. Have you ever seen that before? And, I trust “dumb” is not a reference to me?
Speaking of things you’ve never seen before, have you ever seen an offensive coordinator keep his job for so long after being so terrible at it for so long?

Have you ever seen a fan base so “publicly” up in arms over such an obvious instance of nepotism?

To answer your last question, if you believe that the way the contract was worded means that he’s going to be fired for not meeting those criteria, then I have no other possible conclusion to draw other than your intelligence (or at the very least your inference skills) qualifies as dumb.

Yep.

The contract states (quoted in DMR) that if those two provisions aren’t met “the agreement will terminate on June 30, 2024.”

I have the same language in my high school coaching contract. It terminates every year and then the school board has another one already written up at the next school board meeting.

Brian ain’t goin’ nowhere, boys. This contract was written in a manner to make naive, unintelligent people think Brian has to hit a benchmark or he’s fired.

Ain’t happenin.
Spot on. Only trying to appease the fan base and sport writers.... nothing more. Damage control after KF figuratively told Hawkeye nation to f... off in his press conference.

If this contract had teeth and said BF would be fired for not meeting scoring target...I'm picturing the last game of the season with BF needing one more touchdown to make his goal. Cooper is back to receive a punt with seconds left, takes it, turns the corner with nothing but green in front of him...and Levar runs out and Woody Hayes' Cooper as he runs by to prevent the TD.

I take it as a sign that they plan to open up the offense more and play more aggressively. Very wierd situation and don't think I've ever seen something like it, but the optimistic side of me thinks it's a prelude to at least more offense. We'll see how it goes.

One question. If something happens like Phil Parker resigning before the season starts for whatever reason and the offense scores 50 ppg but we go 6-6, does BF still get fired?

TCU got shit housed in the title game.

But they made it.
This year's TCU would have beaten the Hawks 65-0.

Point is, Iowa football isn't on the tier of schools like that and never will be. Until something happens to derail OSU or Michigan both at the same time, there's no chance of winning the Big Ten. Now that there's a championship game, you essentially have to first win your division, then catch lightning in a bottle by beating a team in either UM or OSU that is so far ahead of Iowa's level we can't even see it from here.

Used to be all you had to do was have the best record or even tie for the best record and that was it, no matter who you played. There was sometimes a chance, albeit a tiny one. Now you have to not only win your division, but you have to go through a juggernaut. The odds of both of those things happening in the same year are infinitesimally small.

Iowa has played OSU 27 times since Hayden Fry took over and has won 4 of those. To make it worse, OSU is way stronger than it ever was in the 80s or 90s and getting bigger all the time. I'm sorry, folks, the B1G isn't in reach anymore until both UM and OSU are both down at the same time relative to Iowa, and I wouldn't start holding my breath for that anytime in the next 20 years. By then we won't be watching tackle football anymore.

It’s just lip service to get dumb people to shut up for a couple years.
That's the intent of it... To me it's so insulting that they think the fans will look at that and be good with it... Just the other day in his pressor KF said that 8 wins wasn't a goal. Well it sure as hell is Brians and now it's in writing.

I think they are just acknowledging their own guilt about the whole situation. I just wonder who made up the numbers? Kirk or Barta? Brian probably hates everything about it but didn't have a choice. It's honestly way worse to do this. Makes them a laughing stock. They'd be better off just maintaining the status quo instead of this. If you have to put qualifiers/incentives in place then you should be looking to replace the guy. It's just that simple...

I agree....this is just a stupid stunt all the way around that is bound to backfire somehow pr wise....not that Brian is going anywhere. Barta is a terrible negotiator and pr man.

This is shit that really does not need to be out in public......this is shit that Gary needs to work out with Brian in private.

Barta needs to either fire him or stick with him......not play it off like he is going to do something that he has zero intention of doing. If we are getting real about it.
1. It has to be public.
2. He did not fire Brian
3. He stuck with him.

Speaking of things you’ve never seen before, have you ever seen an offensive coordinator keep his job for so long after being so terrible at it for so long?

Have you ever seen a fan base so “publicly” up in arms over such an obvious instance of nepotism?

To answer your last question, if you believe that the way the contract was worded means that he’s going to be fired for not meeting those criteria, then I have no other possible conclusion to draw other than your intelligence (or at the very least your inference skills) qualifies as dumb.
The fan base is not up in arms. Football will continue to be quite profitable.

When the contract is done KF will be gone and BF may be new HC. Or not.

I think this is an indication that 2023 may be Kirk's last year. This contract modification somewhat buys them 1 more year. If Brian cannot hit these really low targets, then Kirk retires so he doesn't have to 'fire' Brian, and Brian will go find an assistant/analyst job in the NFL somewhere.

And if he does surpass these targets, he probably gets a large extension to set him up financially even if he can never land another decent job after Kirk does finally retire.

I believe Iowa State is the only team in the Big 12 that averaged less than 25 points per game. Imagine hiring an OC in that conference and telling them that as long as they don't finish dead last amongst their peers then they still have a job.

Out of curiosity I looked and saw that 4 SEC teams averaged below 25 points and surprisingly 7 were below that mark in the Big 10.

I do 100% agree with Fryowa that this was a feeble attempt to silence the pitchfork wielding crowd. His contract will terminate but he'll be hired back... as the head coach.

I also might be a minority in this but I think we'd be better with Brian than Kirk at the helm.

I think this is an indication that 2023 may be Kirk's last year. This contract modification somewhat buys them 1 more year. If Brian cannot hit these really low targets, then Kirk retires so he doesn't have to 'fire' Brian, and Brian will go find an assistant/analyst job in the NFL somewhere.

And if he does surpass these targets, he probably gets a large extension to set him up financially even if he can never land another decent job after Kirk does finally retire.
I think it's more of a 2 yr out play then one. If it was just one they really don't have an incentive to do anything at all to pacify those with pitchforks cause they could just do what they want to anyway. I could be wrong too I don't know. Just feels like they set achievable benchmarks for him so they can have 2 more yrs at it and then see where we are.

No. I have never seen an OC survive this kind of performance.
No. I have never seen a fan base so intent on firing BF.
No. You in fact do not know whether BF will lose the OC job if he doesn’t meet the requirements.
No. I am not the “Worlds Foremost Authority” I doubt that I am dumb. But, you consistently have to throw out an insult to posters who disagree with you. That gets pretty old.

I think all coaches contracts should be incentive based, based on wins to simplify it. Pay a OC like Brian $90,000 a win. Pay a head coach obviously more for every win. Get nothing for no win games. That would up the quality of coaching. If they win, they get a nice salary. If they are crap, they don't last.

I suppose you could put in specific incentives like if the OC can score over 25 pts, get some $$$$. That would help in games that our outliers for various reasons, like if the OC generated 34pts but the D was total shit a particular game.

Latest posts