What Do We See Saturday From nebraska Schematically?

Fryowa

Administrator
Watching what little college film there is of Smothers (hilariously little, I've watched it all in under a half hour on YouTube including their spring game), he has a wet noodle of an arm. He can run though which gives us problems like it did when Clifford was in the game.

Do we see some wildcat stuff at times Friday since the kid can't throw, especially against the leading interceptionizing team in the country the last several years?

I have a hard time thinking Frost doesn't "get weird" and go for broke with gimmicks at this point in their season. If they get crazy, it could be trouble. Our defense thrives against vanilla offenses, not so much against teams that do funky stuff.

On Fuskerboard, they're saying that he has above average legs, incredibly accurate on short throws and terrible on deep balls. They think that this will give teams a chance to load up the line to stop both.

Of course we're talking about Fusker fans, so who knows if this is accurate at all.

On Fuskerboard, they're saying that he has above average legs, incredibly accurate on short throws and terrible on deep balls. They think that this will give teams a chance to load up the line to stop both.

Of course we're talking about Fusker fans, so who knows if this is accurate at all.
You should check out his spring game film. It's practice tape, and I get it, but it's absolutely horrid. He missed guys by a dozen feet multiple times.

Nebby does scheme some receivers wide open 20-30 yards downfield so all the qb would have to do is loft the ball high in that direction. As I said previously, the qbs running is the thing to stop first and Nebby's run game overall needs stopped and slowed. Nebby runs the qb draw, a sort of option, and the zone type read with occasional I/pistol formation. I cant see this new qb being under center much so the hawks need to just be ready to plug the gaps and edges on Nebby's usual run plays. As others have said this will be Nebby's time to run reverses, halfback passes, a pass back to the qb from shotgun, all kinds of trickeration.

I still liked our chances with Martinez playing because our defense over the last few years has not given up a lot of big chunk plays to Nebby and making them drive using a lot of plays just puts them in the position to F up with a turnover, a drop, a penalty, or what ever else.

I cant see this new qb being under center much.
That kid will never be under center. It’s going to be a steady diet of quarterback draws and safe 7 yd passes across the middle. The exact thing that gives us fits.

We could be in trouble no matter who the QB is.

That kid will never be under center. It’s going to be a steady diet of quarterback draws and safe 7 yd passes across the middle. The exact thing that gives us fits.

Agreed. I did watch his spring game "highlights" and wow. He must have shown something in practice or they have nothing behind him. He did have a nice throw rolling out to his right against Buffalo that traveled ~40 yards in the air. A bit behind the WR, but was complete.

Having said that, I'm hoping that our missing DB's are less of an issue with him at QB. Also, with the shorter passing game, Jacobs has been a liability. Great against the run though. I think our DL will be able to get close enough to him to flush him. Not a lot of confidence in the pocket. Also, he has a long delivery makes me think we'll get a strip sack. Of course, this is from the videos I could find.

You're right he doesn't have a strong arm. Really wobbly throws.

The biggest worry is him running is space. He ran a 11.19 100.

Looking at the other qb Frost said may play, he's got a strong, accurate arm (from what I saw/read). Not really mobile though. Smothers seems to fit the system, but I think Haarberg looked more impressive to my old eyeballs.

Agreed. I did watch his spring game "highlights" and wow. He must have shown something in practice or they have nothing behind him. He did have a nice throw rolling out to his right against Buffalo that traveled ~40 yards in the air. A bit behind the WR, but was complete.

Having said that, I'm hoping that our missing DB's are less of an issue with him at QB. Also, with the shorter passing game, Jacobs has been a liability. Great against the run though. I think our DL will be able to get close enough to him to flush him. Not a lot of confidence in the pocket. Also, he has a long delivery makes me think we'll get a strip sack. Of course, this is from the videos I could find.

You're right he doesn't have a strong arm. Really wobbly throws.

The biggest worry is him running is space. He ran a 11.19 100.

Looking at the other qb Frost said may play, he's got a strong, accurate arm (from what I saw/read). Not really mobile though. Smothers seems to fit the system, but I think Haarberg looked more impressive to my old eyeballs.
I’m worried about the direct snap stuff and QB draws. For all its faults, Frost runs (or tries to run) the spread which isn’t vanilla Big Ten, and KF doesn’t usually game plan that stuff well.

This new guy taking a snap and running for paydirt after the pocket collapses scares the shit out of me because we’re missing Hankins, Roberts and Koerner—3 guys who would be coached up enough to stay home in those situations and not get drawn out of the box by WRs taking off on post routes.

This whole thing makes me nervous, and to be honest I think I’d rather have Martinez back there all else being equal.

If this kid is as weak, noodle armed as you and others are saying then he cant throw a safe pass over the middle, he will throw enough high and tipped to get about 4 picks. The hawks are drooling at the opportunity. And let him run and meet Misters Van Valkenberg, Campbell, Jacobs, and Benson a few times.

He can run, so I expect option football. They will use their very good TE on short routes. They are banged up on both lines, and the O line has struggled when healthy, RB position is thin, linebackers are banged up with Domann done, decent DB'S, they are very banged up and missing 4 coaches. We should rick roll them. I don't care who they are at this point they are fragile and ready to be done.

I'll also bet dollars for donuts we see Haarberg and Masker at some point. Nebraska is a wounded dog with no way out, they're gonna do everything they can to turn this thing into backyard football and Phil better be ready with the 2nd string DBs.

They will run the same offense they ran with AM. How can they not?? They don't have an offensive coaching staff to install anything new, let alone in 6 days.

I’m worried about the direct snap stuff and QB draws. For all its faults, Frost runs (or tries to run) the spread which isn’t vanilla Big Ten, and KF doesn’t usually game plan that stuff well.

This new guy taking a snap and running for paydirt after the pocket collapses scares the shit out of me because we’re missing Hankins, Roberts and Koerner—3 guys who would be coached up enough to stay home in those situations and not get drawn out of the box by WRs taking off on post routes.

This whole thing makes me nervous, and to be honest I think I’d rather have Martinez back there all else being equal.
You mean Parker doesn't game plan that stuff well.

For all of his faults, I am fairly certain when the staff says KF doesn't meddle with the defense, he really doesn't. He just gives them high level parameters to work in and gives the reigns to Parker.

Trick will be to put him in obvious passing situations on 3rd downs... If we can't slow down their running game however all they try to do that then it'll make it easier for him to throw. Put him in 3rd and 7s and longer on their side of the 50 and I like our chances.

That said what's Nebraska playing for this week? Nothing so this is their Super Bowl again. I expect Frost will do all sorts of crazy shit. He's gotten that vote of confidence from Alberts and isn't going anywhere so he's got nothing to lose. Expect trick plays fake punts etc etc etc....

A lot of that can be dealt with by simply putting #4 Belton as a spy on the QB on every play. Not something Parker usually does tho.

They will run the same offense they ran with AM. How can they not?? They don't have an offensive coaching staff to install anything new, let alone in 6 days.
Well....Frosty has a thick offensive playbook, and according to both he and Wisconsin players, the Huskers ran some stuff vs the Badgers they hadn't shown all year -- they really wanted that game. Granted it's a short week of prep, but nothing -- including seeing some triple option -- would surprise me.