What did you think of Gabe last night?

sioux34

I saw just about what I expected. A gifted athlete that has a lot to learn about basketball yet. I think Fran will continue to bring him along in practice and get him a few minutes now and then as the game allows. I don't expect to see extended minutes from Gabe this season, but can see him getting a few more next year in a rotation with Woody and Meyer.

I liked what I saw. Aside from his 2-4 at the FT line. Made some decent moves and some good decisions. Played OK defense, had a block or two. All in all about what I was expecting. I think Archie (Aside from one major lapse on defense) and Olensani bring more to the table the Brommer. Unfortunate as I was expecting more out of Brommer this year. Oh well, I think Olensani will continue to develop and hopefully provide some strength down low to include blocking shots and rebounding.

I liked what I saw from a freshman center that needs to add some size. I reviewed the travel call and I can't see how it was a travel. It was simply a very nice move for a score. I truly believe that he wouldn't be so lost on his defensive movement if he played more minutes. He is a wonderful shot/pass blocker with his length but needs more experience to know where he needs to be on the court. I'm actually kind of ****** that he hasn't been getting more minutes. It's not like the NCAA tourney is really a strong possibility this year. Why waste his future development on getting Brommer so much time on the floor? Here's to hoping he plays more.

I saw just about what I expected. A gifted athlete that has a lot to learn about basketball yet. I think Fran will continue to bring him along in practice and get him a few minutes now and then as the game allows. I don't expect to see extended minutes from Gabe this season, but can see him getting a few more next year in a rotation with Woody and Meyer.

All season Gabe has looked a bit rushed on the offensive side of the ball. His offense is not as bad as it was reported. His FT stroke looks good and his issue has been moving too quick and picking up some travel calls. I think with a bit of strenght, experience and coaching he has some skills to play some filler minutes. It might be a crowded back court though so I am not sure how many minutes he can expect to get.

I agree and he wasn't bad at all. With more PT and confidence he could develop into nice big guy. I thought he played pretty aggressive at times witch is what we need more then anything from the front line now. He played enough to work up a sweat and thats the best way to see what a kid has. A min or 2 doesn't show ya much.

Thought he looked pretty good. Went 2 of 4 from the line, but his stroke looked good. Had the nice jump hook that he was fouled on. Had a nice move to the basket and got called for the travel, I dont think he travelled. Obviously needs to get stronger, but hes long. I think he will end up being a nice player for the Hawks.

If Gabe is a willing shot blocker and rebounder, he should be on the floor...he showed that he was both last night. Iowa needs no scoring from the Center position as long as White/McCabe/Basabe is on the floor all the time, no particular order.
If it means playing 4 on 5 as some has suggested with Archie on the floor, so be it, I will take those two things over them being limited offensively at this point.

I liked his aggressiveness and decisiveness when he got the ball down low. He caught it and looked to score.

BTW the travel was legit. I also re watched it as I didn't see it at first but he picked up and shuffled his pivot foot as we attempted to drop step.

I hope that Fran starts to look toward next year,and play him more.
It is hard because most of these games will be close,but Fran has to force-feed some minutes to Gabe the last 10 games. It will motivate him in the off-season and pay dividends next year. We need him to be able to play 15 minutes a game next year along with Woody playing maybe 15, and Meyer/McCabe playing the other 10 in the middle,depending on matchups.

I still think Gabe has a lot to learn about defense before I want to see significantly more playing time for him. Yes, he has the ability to block shots and rebound, but we still need more than that in a defensive effort from our centers. Both Gabe and Archie just simply get lost on defense too often. Archie had the most glaring example of that last night.

I still think Gabe has a lot to learn about defense before I want to see significantly more playing time for him. Yes, he has the ability to block shots and rebound, but we still need more than that in a defensive effort from our centers. Both Gabe and Archie just simply get lost on defense too often. Archie had the most glaring example of that last night.

So just play the simplest defense in the world, the 2-3 zone and let him patrol the paint.
He is the only player on the roster that is willing to block shots and he played hard when he was in.

I think Archie is more than willing to block shots as he demonstrated by jumping on Olidipo's head last night.

I thought that was a good offensive move he got called for a travel on. That isn't called if he wasn't a freshman who hasn't played much.

So just play the simplest defense in the world, the 2-3 zone and let him patrol the paint.
He is the only player on the roster that is willing to block shots and he played hard when he was in.

Agree with sportstalent. Of course the kid is going to be a bit indecisive given his limited PT, but there is only one cure for that. As far as him not knowing how to play defense, are you implying that others do? We are 3 ring circus defensively regardless of who is in the game. Get him on the court and give him some meaningful minutes....it cannot be worse than the alternative.

We are in Cubs mode the rest of the season.

i just wish archie had more time to develop into better player.

All season Gabe has looked a bit rushed on the offensive side of the ball. His offense is not as bad as it was reported. His FT stroke looks good and his issue has been moving too quick and picking up some travel calls. I think with a bit of strenght, experience and coaching he has some skills to play some filler minutes. It might be a crowded back court though so I am not sure how many minutes he can expect to get.

Replace the name with McCabe and you have an identical situation as last year. McCabe played much more last year than Gabe does this year though.

i just wish archie had more time to develop into better player.

images

I liked what I saw from Gabe. Good athleticism. Kind of has a nose for the ball. Definitely gave full effort.

That said, Gabe had better improve significantly and quickly if he wants to play with the likes of (1) McCabe, (2) White, (3) Meyer, and (4) Woody on the roster for awhile.

Edit: Forgot Basabe... indicator of the season he is having, I guess.

Last edited:

Latest posts