What Did We Learn? Iowa-ULM

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
We know the Iowa Hawkeyes are 3-1 heading into their bye week. I had them 4-0 at this point, as I didn't see them losing to Iowa State. Say what you will about that game, but Iowa State was the better team the day the game was played, so you can't take anything away from the Cyclones.

Well, I guess you can try, as I still see some of that on the message boards...makes the rivalry fun.

What did we learn about Iowa in Week Four? Here are some of my thoughts...

DYNAMIC OFFENSE: Iowa ran a dive play on it's first play of the game...it's next four plays came 17, 25, 10 and 12 seconds after the end of the previous play, as the Hawkeyes went to the no-huddle offense. That got down them down to the ULM 10 yard line after the 'in the bucket' fade play to Marvin McNutt. Iowa then went for it on 4th and goal at the 1 yard line and scored a touchdown.

This is the type of attacking offense that Iowa fans have wanted to see for a long time. I will admit that I am enjoying this wrinkle that Iowa shows, but it's not a drastic change in philosophy...OK, for Kirk Ferentz, it might be a tad towards the drastic side, especially as Iowa went for it on 4th and 1 from the 50 later in the first half.

What it comes down to is this; this coaching staff is taking advantage of the offensive weapons it has. They are 'Scratching Where it Itches' to borrow a Hayden Fry figure of speech as well as offensive philosophy. They are aligning offensive philosophy with offensive personnel.

Iowa ran 44 plays in the first half and gained 18 first downs. Yeah, that's not a typo, it actually happened.

Iowa has not become a spread team, nor will they. However, they are using formations that spread out the defense which makes it easier to run the football. Iowa used a lot of its 311 personnel on Saturday (3 WR, 1 TE and 1 RB), which makes it real hard to stack the box with eight defenders, and next to impossible to commit eight defenders to stopping the run.

Would Iowa be doing this if it had a top of the line fullback this year? Maybe not, and I think that factors into things. However they also have the most talented quarterback of the Ferentz era from a pure throwing skills standpoint as well as the best wide receiver trio of the Ferentz era.

I realize some will want to argue that last point, but in my opinion, 2011 McNutt is better than 2010 DJK. 2011 Keenan Davis is close to as good as the 2010 Marvin McNutt and Kevonte Martin-Manley is better than the 2010 Keenan Davis. None of that is to slight anyone, either, it's just how I see it.

Iowa has the horses and they are choosing to let them run...or pass.

This no-huddle wrinkle is going to give opposing defensive coordinators something else to prepare for when Iowa comes up on the schedule. It also seemed to calm James Vandenberg down a bit, as he had his best start to finish game of the 2011 season. He got into a groove on that first drive, completing all four passes and he didn't suffer from phantom footsteps the rest of the game as he had in the first three games.

Vandenberg also seems more comfortable starting out from the shotgun, where he can look down the field as opposed to being under center and running play action or the bootleg game where you turn your back to one side of the field for a brief time.

Play action and the bootleg game will remain a part of Iowa's game plan. The running game isn't being demoted to a second class citizen and Iowa is not going to go run and shoot.

However, these wrinkles are productive and they will remain a part of the 2011 (and likely 2012) offense.

What we did not see on Saturday was any shotgun handoffs or draws, something I think you will see in two weeks against Penn State.

Iowa's running game will be a beneficiary of this passing attack, be certain of that. It comes at a good time, too as Marcus Coker had his best game of the season against ULM.

Yes, I realize he has rushed for more yards in a game this year than his 113 from Saturday, but he got those on just 18 carries and his footwork was a lot better this game than it has been all year. He was picking them up and putting them down quicker and he ran with more confidence, accelerating into holes and keeping his shoulder pads square to the line of scrimmage.

The Hawkeyes also played Damon Bullock and Jordan Canzeri at running back. Each of those players is faster and quicker than Coker, and they can be utilized better between the 20's and in the more traditional I-formation or 311 sets, where they may not have to do much in the way of pass blocking.

Bullock had two noticeable attempts in pass protection and served as a speed bump, as he was knocked on his rump both times. Neither resulted in a sack, which is a good thing.

Canzeri showed today why I have been excited about him since signing day, and that was reinforced during Iowa's August open practice.

When he gets the ball, he is going towards the line of scrimmage and quickly. I guess a Fred Russell comparsion would be the best I can come up with, though I am not predicting a similar career...Canzeri is small and will really blossom from an offseason with Chris Doyle. But give this kid a few carries out between the 20's after Coker has tenderized the meat, and you are going to see something. Of course, all of this reminds me of how much Iowa misses Mika'il McCall, who would have had a very good season had he stayed healthy, but that train has left the station.

This offense has a lot of weapons, the offensive line is good and capable of getting a lot better and the tight ends have barely been involved in the action thus far this year. As dynamic as this group is now, I think it still has exponential improvement possibilities, which is exciting.

THE BERNSTINE EFFECT: I was ready to tweet this on Saturday afternoon before Marc Morehouse beat me to it; were it not for James Vandenberg, Jordan Bernstine is Iowa's MVP so far.

He is everywhere on the field for the Hawks..returning kicks, covering punts inside the five yard line, laying out tacklers as a blocker on punt returns and making plays on defense.

I could be wrong here, but it seems like his energy level is infectious, ala the Bob Sanders Effect. Bernstine has been like this since getting off the bus in the season opener, when Ferentz said he and McCall were playing at a different tempo than anyone else on the field against Tennessee Tech. Iowa sorely missed his presence against Iowa State as he was battling an illness and he was one of the lone bright spots against Pitt for the first two and a half quarters.

He was a bright spot all day on Saturday and he is going to play his way into the NFL if he remains healthy. It seems that each year, Iowa gets a breakout performance from a fifth year senior who has either been buried on the depth chart or has battled injury problems in his career. Bernstine is having that type of season.

BREAKOUT DEFENSIVE PERFORMERS: You can say the same thing about Tom Nardo. He has had two very good games back to back, and he had 12 tackles on Saturday against ULM. 12 tackles for a defensive lineman? That's a lot, and Nardo was a very disruptive presence. He is the lone lineman that has gotten better each week.

Tanner Miller made several big hits on Saturday and you could actually see the time he spent in the film room this past week come to the fore.

There was a play in the first quarter where ULM ran motion from the outside into the backfield, and Miller shaded it, following the motion man and actually ran up into the far side slot. ULM gave the ball to the motion man on a reverse, jet-sweep style of play, and Miller was just waiting in the hole for the runner, and tackled him for a loss. This was on ULM's first possession, so if you recorded the game o yourself a favor and go watch that. Seldom can you so easily identify film study paying off before your eyes, but you can on this play.

As the season goes on, those plays where he was making big hits on receivers are going to turn into pass break ups and interceptions, as his reaction times improve, which they will. The fact that he was making so many bang-bang hits shows you how far he has come in a few weeks. He is going to get there, and this secondary is improving right before our eyes.

DINK & DUNK SEASON IS OVER: Iowa played four spread-based offenses in its first four games, something that is going to change the rest of the year.

Sure, Northwestern is going to run a similar offense to some that Iowa has faced thus far, and these preparations will pay dividends as the Wildcat's are Iowa's second Big Ten opponent.

However, most of their future opponents will be more traditional, or at the least less 'cute'.

ULM had some unique plays and looks...some I have never seen before or variations that I have never seen...several plays where an underneath receiving target paralleled motion with the quarterback and served as a slick release...plays that were akin to the shovel pass, but more sophisticated.

I predicted ULM would score 17 points, which is just what they got...they are just crafty. By the way, I picked Pitt to get 27...my predictions haven't been so great in recent years, something many of you remind me of, so I need to point out a few that hit the mark ;)

Penn State threw for its first passing touchdowns of the season on Saturday. They are still unsettled at quarterback, they have an average at best offensive line and their defense suffered a huge loss on Saturday as LB Michael Mauti was lost for the season with an ACL injury. This is a winnable game for the Hawkeyes, more so than I thought it would be before the year began.

After that, it's Northwestern in Kinnick, under the lights for a 6pm start. Iowa is not going to lose this game, this year. Not going to happen. OK, that is me projecting. I hope it doesn't happen, but you have to expect Dan Persa to miraculously be healthy and accurate for this game, even though he has yet to play a snap this season.

Then it's Indiana at home and Minnesota on the road and half of the Big Ten season is over. If Iowa can navigate that portion of the schedule 3-1, they will be in the hunt for the Legends Division title. If they can somehow go 4-0 during that stretch, you have to really like their title chances with Michigan and Michigan State at home and Purdue, one of the three worst teams in the league, on the road.

OK, I am getting way, way too far ahead of myself, considering this Iowa team still has a ways to go with regards to defensive improvement and the offense finding consistency.

However, the schedule is favorable in a year that needed a bit of help.

Iowa entered this season with the fewest number of returning starters in the Big Ten. It signed 25 players in its 2012 recruiting class, with 24 making it to camp (Rodney Coe did not). So far, they have played 10 true freshmen...

That's a lot of new faces...which means this team has a chance to improve exponentially the rest of the way, based on what I have seen. It may also mean they could experience some road game bumps in two weeks with so many new faces out there...

Part of the excitement for the 2011 Iowa football season in the unknown; we just don't know what to expect, but we've seen reasons to be optimistic.

Not that it takes much to make Iowa fans optimistic, present company included.

I was thinking the same thing today about Bernstein and Sanders. When you are watching the game on t.v. you can't always tell who made the tackle/hit right away or you can't see their number. You KNOW when it is him without having to see who it was. Much like Sanders.

i would like to say that i have learned that Brandon Sheriff at Guard is a must he is a great athlete and will be an awesome O-Line keep getting him reps and run coker behind him and the offense clearly already can pass! 11-1 here we come!!!!!

Jon,

Love the enthusiasm! I'm not so sure about PSU or NW, I hope you have it correct. I haven't seen the game yet but the games I have seen I have to hold out some pessimism.

We need some speed at tailback and maybe we found it today and I like throwing a little no huddle in there. Can the defense get pressure on a BIG 10 team? I am very interested to see that happen consistently.

Thanx for all you do,

AttackoftheHawks!!

Penn St. game is going to be crucial. I predict a knock-down, drag-out, who-wants-it-more affair. They're kinda the opposite of us. Great defense, but no offense (too bad for them they lost Mauti). Going to be a huge game on the road. Go Hawks. Gut check time.

Great right up Jon. I feel the offense is looking solid and as the line continues to gel and as Vandy's confidence grows, the offense is going to be even better.

The defense still has serious issues, but continues to improve. Yes, they only gave up 17 but a few dropped passes and odd play calling helped the D today. As was pointed out, there were some bright spots, and there is hope they can be a decent defense. I hope Nielson can get healthy during the bye week.

Excellent write up Jon. I agree that this group of receivers is better than last. However, I think it has more to do with KMM being better suited for the slot than any of the 3 from last year, neither DJK, McNutt or Davis are effective in the slot, IMO.

Thanks Jon - you perfectly wrote here what many of us were thinking after the game yesterday. I would add that staying healthy is as big of a part of this season's success as any Hawk team in recently memory.

GO HAWKS!

I'm really worried about the D-line being Iowa's achilles heel. Weaknesses at TE and FB, you can scheme around, DL you just can't unless you go to a 3-4 and the Hawks are short of LB's. Btw, Nielsen needs to start wrapping up tackles. His failure to do so on tackles cost the defense a lot of yardage yesterday. Lot of guys in the NFL don't want to wrap up tackles either, and the runner, more often than not, manages to get a lot of extra yards. If you are in position to make a stop, wrap them up. Needless to say, I was really disappointed when when one of your better seniors is not finishing a tackle.

I think we learned that despite Kirk's sarcastic remarks after the game regarding keeping the fans and the media happy, that he does listen to his critics to some degree. I would have been extremely disappointed if we would have come out with the plain vanilla offense that we usually employ against an outgunned opponent. He is finally basing his offensive strategy on the strengths of his players. Even some of his defensive schemes were a departure from our usual patterns. I think this bodes well for success for this year.

Loved this point about Iowa's recievers. "I realize some will want to argue that last point, but in my opinion, 2011 McNutt is better than 2010 DJK. 2011 Keenan Davis is close to as good as the 2010 Marvin McNutt and Kevonte Martin-Manley is better than the 2010 Keenan Davis. None of that is to slight anyone, either, it's just how I see it."

One thing I have thought about Marvin since the Michigan State game. He is clutch. He has a way of getting to the ball at the right time. Now with KMM, Keenan and Vandenburg this team has the potential to be the best offensive group Iowa has produced in a very long time.

I think we learned that despite Kirk's sarcastic remarks after the game regarding keeping the fans and the media happy, that he does listen to his critics to some degree. I would have been extremely disappointed if we would have come out with the plain vanilla offense that we usually employ against an outgunned opponent. He is finally basing his offensive strategy on the strengths of his players. Even some of his defensive schemes were a departure from our usual patterns. I think this bodes well for success for this year.

Hate to disagree with you but I really don't believe KF listens to what the fans or media say. He has more football knowledge than all of us combined. Coaches that listen to the outside world are probably not destined to be coaches for very long. Despite what some people believe, I think he looks at everything involved and does what he feels gives the team the best chance to win, whether we as fans agree or not.

When was the last time Iowa had a team that scored this many ppg through the first four games?

This offense could be the difference to the games we normally lose by 1,3,7 points...

Well, I don't agree either. Utimately, Ferentz realizes Iowa will win with its offense this year. It's funny how much Ferentz hates this.

Say after me: It's only ULM. It's only ULM.

Penn State is going to be one low scoring and, imo, ugly game.
Iowa's defensive schemes traditionally stop offenses like Penn St (great running and no passing offenses).

Penn State's defense has the athletes to run with Iowa's offense. Iowa will need superior offensive schemes to win - yeah, I said it, it's all on KOK.

It will be a battle for field positon for most of the game.
Good for us: Guthrie is a great punter.
Iowa's punting coach deserves a raise.

Vandy needs to get rid of his windup when he throws.
It's like he's screaming to an opponent's DB that he's throwing his way before he throws it.

I'm really worried about the D-line being Iowa's achilles heel. Weaknesses at TE and FB, you can scheme around, DL you just can't unless you go to a 3-4 and the Hawks are short of LB's. Btw, Nielsen needs to start wrapping up tackles. His failure to do so on tackles cost the defense a lot of yardage yesterday. Lot of guys in the NFL don't want to wrap up tackles either, and the runner, more often than not, manages to get a lot of extra yards. If you are in position to make a stop, wrap them up. Needless to say, I was really disappointed when when one of your better seniors is not finishing a tackle.

Glad I'm not the only one noticing this. And this isn't an issue related to has recent ankle troubles. Right now he reminds me of Herman - solid football players who for whatever reason aren't playing fundamentally sound right now. I'd also add that I think the trio of Morris, Kirksey, and Hitchens will be absolutely devastating next season, particularly w/ Kirksey's athleticism at the Leo spot. Throw in burning Alston's RS yesterday and Marcus Collins getting minutes all season, maybe we'll see more and more 3-4 looks or LB rotations. Hard not to get excited about the future of the back 7 on D.

We have yet to play a big ten caliber team this year. All four teams would be lucky to finish in seventh place if we weren't two divisions. Yes the offense looks very good at this point. Unless I am mistaken I believe KOK came from a team that ran the spread offense......meaning a lot of passing. I don't think the vanilla offensive schemes we have seen over the years are of his doing or his choice of offense. The last time we ran mostly passing plays I believe it was due to only having paki at running back so what choice did we have that year? Yet that was very entertaining to watch. Going by memory only I want to say that was the year we beat LSU in the capital one bowl game (my family and I were there at the game and loved it). Now KF is finally letting KOK cut loose.

At this point our glaring weakness is the defensive line which hasn't presented much of a pass rush and at times has looked poor against the run. Hopefully they can learn and develop as the season goes on. At this point the old addage is true ........the best defense is a great offense. I hope we get the chance to play Wisky this year......if so it would be time to get out the calculators as I would predict a wide open scoring game as two potent offenses would be facing each other. I would also give an advantage to wisky's defense at this point in time...... but there is time for that to change.

We have yet to play a big ten caliber team this year. All four teams would be lucky to finish in seventh place if we weren't two divisions. Yes the offense looks very good at this point. Unless I am mistaken I believe KOK came from a team that ran the spread offense......meaning a lot of passing. I don't think the vanilla offensive schemes we have seen over the years are of his doing or his choice of offense. The last time we ran mostly passing plays I believe it was due to only having paki at running back so what choice did we have that year? Yet that was very entertaining to watch. Going by memory only I want to say that was the year we beat LSU in the capital one bowl game (my family and I were there at the game and loved it). Now KF is finally letting KOK cut loose.

At this point our glaring weakness is the defensive line which hasn't presented much of a pass rush and at times has looked poor against the run. Hopefully they can learn and develop as the season goes on. At this point the old addage is true ........the best defense is a great offense. I hope we get the chance to play Wisky this year......if so it would be time to get out the calculators as I would predict a wide open scoring game as two potent offenses would be facing each other. I would also give an advantage to wisky's defense at this point in time...... but there is time for that to change.

I agree with almost everything you're saying here. However, I don't think Iowa's schedule has been THAT bad through the first four games, especially if you look around the B1G and see who other teams have played. There have been 5 tough games for the B1G: Notre Dame 2x, @USC, @Miami (FL) and Arizona State at home. And the B1G is a sub-par 2-3 in those five games.

2-2 Pitt is a tougher defensive team than what they're getting credit for. Will ISU get murdered at home against the Longhorns on Saturday?...maybe. But we have to at least wait and see what comes out of that game; even a close loss by ISU would prove to me that the Clones are no pushover, and you have to take into account that its an in-state rivalry game Iowa played on the road (NOBODY else in the B1G has this as a non-conference game). And then Iowa blew out the 2 teams they were supposed to.

Wisconson, Nebby, Penn State, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern (BC is now viewed as bad), have all played much worse non-conference games than Iowa.

We have yet to play a big ten caliber team this year. All four teams would be lucky to finish in seventh place if we weren't two divisions.

What constitutes a "Big Ten caliber team" if not beating and/or leading for 3 1/2 quarters a team that we all think should finish in the top half of the league?

Both Iowa State and Pitt could faceplant the rest of the season. But, as much as it pains me to say this, you can't name three teams in the Big Ten that have shown on the field that they are clearly better than those two squads right now. Pitt struggled with Maine, yes. Is that different than Illinois not being able to put away Western Michigan? And look at how Pitt played Notre Dame as opposed to ND's performance against Michigan and Michigan State.

Iowa State beat Iowa at home and UConn on the road. I am not sure if there is a Big Ten team that has two wins that are clearly superior to those.

Glad I'm not the only one noticing this. And this isn't an issue related to has recent ankle troubles. Right now he reminds me of Herman - solid football players who for whatever reason aren't playing fundamentally sound right now. I'd also add that I think the trio of Morris, Kirksey, and Hitchens will be absolutely devastating next season, particularly w/ Kirksey's athleticism at the Leo spot. Throw in burning Alston's RS yesterday and Marcus Collins getting minutes all season, maybe we'll see more and more 3-4 looks or LB rotations. Hard not to get excited about the future of the back 7 on D.

I think that you're forgetting Nielsen's play too quickly from last year. Besides, if you really closely watched Nielsen in coverage against ULM ... he played pretty darn well. He made a beautiful play on a ball and almost came up with a pick.

I definitely think that he needs to start tackling better ... however, I also clearly remember Edds tackling poorly early in the season too in years past. And Edds is the guy who set the gold standard at the LEO spot.

My point being ... I wouldn't be marginalizing Nielsen too soon here.

Besides, I doubt that you're accounting for how much pressure spread Os put on our LBs. And, it makes it that much harder when your ankle isn't 100%.

I think that we're going to find that Nielsen's ability to hold the edge ... particularly against "traditional Os" like PSU's and MSU's ... will reap significant rewards.

Latest posts