What did the anti-Ferentz Crowd Think of Saturday?

This will be an interesting thread. First several things, I missed going to the game (maybe one of 15 or so since the mid-70s), I didnt get to listen to it, only saw about 6 minutes of you tube highlights and have been reading up on this site. I am not anti-ferentz but have been very critical of his game management and various in game decisions. that being said if NIU is supposed to be a decent team and have a decent offense the Phil Parker has an above avg to very good defense going again on Saturday's. The formula is there with a very good defensive line, we have new linebackers but I think they will be good and the MLB needs to step up. We will probably face better passing attacks and offensive lines though so that could be a problem for the dbacks.

Offense again is a worry, the running back highlights and Off line run blocking looked above avg for the little I saw. The passing game again worries me with drops, inaccurate throws from what litttle is saw, hear and read about,

I cant say anything about KF and BF's offensive game plans though so that is something I would like to hear about from others.

KF could have a very good team this year but I hope he lets loose on the leash a bit and lets them play and try to make some big plays.

Let me state I like Kirk, especially when you see some of the real jerks exposed like never before around the conference. It's also interesting to see what coaching tree some of these jerks came from. Maryland and Texas coaches off the Jim Harbaugh tree tells me something about old Jimbo. What I dislike is the amost rediculous rise of Brian to OC in such a short time. You see it all the time in business where the boss's son is put on the fast track with everyone sucking up to their future boss. Nobody will be giving him an evaluation, criticism, or hard time because that would be politically a disaster to make an enemy of the guy who will be signing your paycheck in a few years. I guess I would have liked to see Brian make his mark at another program before Kirk brought him on board. There are some very good OC's out there that probable deserved to be looked at ahead of Brian. If that makes me "anti-Ferentz" so be it.

I thought it was a typically Ferentzian performance - rely on the run game and a superior offensive line and defense to lean on an inferior opponent. The first half was slow to start, with some special teams mishaps and turnovers. No passing game to speak of.

Thankfully, our line wore them down and the backs took care of business.

Against NIU, that's enough. Eventually, the passing game will be needed to win against opponents that can stack the box and stop the run, and we just don't have the talent necessary to break out of a fight in a phone booth. I'm still at 8 - 4, and I'm still worried about ISU, Purdue, Wisconsin, and PSU. Iowa will end up around 80th in the country on offense, which, while an improvement, is below what is needed to win the west.

Let me state I like Kirk, especially when you see some of the real jerks exposed like never before around the conference. It's also interesting to see what coaching tree some of these jerks came from. Maryland and Texas coaches off the Jim Harbaugh tree tells me something about old Jimbo. What I dislike is the amost rediculous rise of Brian to OC in such a short time. You see it all the time in business where the boss's son is put on the fast track with everyone sucking up to their future boss. Nobody will be giving him an evaluation, criticism, or hard time because that would be politically a disaster to make an enemy of the guy who will be signing your paycheck in a few years. I guess I would have liked to see Brian make his mark at another program before Kirk brought him on board. There are some very good OC's out there that probable deserved to be looked at ahead of Brian. If that makes me "anti-Ferentz" so be it.

The risk of Brian "making his mark at another program" is exactly why they promoted him.

The risk of Brian "making his mark at another program" is exactly why they promoted him.
So we promoted him out of fear of his leaving not for his performance. Kind of like what Barta does with his old man, though I don't see guys breaking down the door to offer Kirk a job anymore,

I thought like many other Iowa teams in the past, the defense deserved a ton of credit for the win. The first half was just embarrassing though. The offense bounced back strong in the second half but it was due to wearing down an inferior MAC team. Iowa State will be a step up in competition. If Stanley and the receivers don’t improve a lot then I see a toss up against the clowns, and losses to Wisconsin, Northwestern, Penn St. and possibly Nebraska.

I had no issues with Kirk this game, the gameplan was solid they just didn’t execute well.

Be honest...

Are you trolling your own site Rob?

I wasn't able to watch the game or a rebroadcast yet. I was able to listen to Dolph in the second half.
I always love an Iowa win. Been a fan for decades now.

I just hope Toren Young has a good week of practice so he can see some touches before the second half next Saturday.

What did the objective Iowa sportswriters, oops I mean Pro- Ferentz Iowa sportswriters think?

Be honest.

Also do you have some public quotes from Kirk this week showing deference to his mentor Coach Fry? I did see the one where he said "Coach Fry got the ball rolling and we have kept it rolling." I am sure there are more.

Last edited:
Be honest...

Rob can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think he is asking anyone to critique the Hawks' performance on Saturday, plenty of people have been doing that from opening kickoff up until this point. My guess is he is asking people who have been calling for Ferentz' head for years how it felt to watch him set the all-time Iowa wins record. Begrudging respect? Frustration that he has been allowed to hang around this long? Perhaps a change of heart re: Ferentz once you see the outpouring of praise from those that have been around the program?

I was at the game, and the funny thing is I completely forgot about the record because it had been downplayed so much by KF. It wasn't until I saw the media throng after the game that I remembered. I was happy I could be at that game, I think he has been a great steward for the program.

We can try to explain the reason for the play calling all we want. When the announcer even says they ran the same play 7 times in a row and just changed the direction, that's what keeps Iowa from being a force in the big ten. End of story. We have inexperience at receivers. Why not throw the ball and have film to critique in time for the big games where we cant overpower no star athletes?

Daddy is still running the offense.

I am ready for KF to assume a managers role. Let your coaches coach. Let them breathe some fresh air into the program.

I think this may have started, but that 1st half was flat out ugly. I was hoping those things would start to disappear and we would lay 50+ points on NIU.

To me it is the same old story. Ask me this after the Wiscy game.

100+ freaking ranked offense in football and you hire your son because you are unwilling to allow changes to your conservative crap. If you can't find any more geriatric patients to listen to you with the offense, just use your loyal son.

Any other team with our talent would have put 50 on them without blinking and had opportunity to coach up the young guys in the film room throughout the week making us even better in the future.

That is the difference between a 7 win coach and 9 win coach. Don't you think game experience and learning would help with "EXECUTION" coach? Something you seem to always bring up.

Anti-Ferentz crowd...come on Rob, you know the term is "haters". But I'll play. (be careful what you wish for)

If 144 wins makes Kirk the winningest coach in Iowa history (which I maintain is better represented by win % than wins only), his 97 losses also make him the losingest coach. That's not an opinion or viewpoint...those are the actual numbers.

KFz is a model citizen who runs a clean program with great kids. He's a great representative of IOWA. But a good journalist tells the whole story...and the numbers don't lie.

Last edited:
After this past game and many others, he is a Jeff Fisher.

He sets records because Iowa is a patient place to coach and the state is filled with nice people.

Plus, he is the de facto AD and college president. If he is content with his success nothing else matters.

Anti Ferentz lol. You don't think Iowa can hire a better OC than Brian Ferentz? This offense is brutal to watch, and will be all year again. No talent at receiver, no playmaker like Wadley that is a threat every down to make a big play. Hockenson is excellent, Fant is when he decides to actually participate and have his head in the game. He is not a good blocker, and doesn't seem to care much. Stanley is what he is, not very accurate, a total statue in the pocket, and doesn't seem to take on a leadership role. Who is the leader on this team? Get ready to face a stacked box all year long again, because our only threat on offense is our TE's. I do know it is embarrassing to have a receiving unit that is as bad as ours is. Total lack of recruiting talented players. I think the defense will be okay, but linebacker is a huge concern. It remains to be seen what will happen when we see a decent qb and offense in general.

So we promoted him out of fear of his leaving not for his performance. Kind of like what Barta does with his old man, though I don't see guys breaking down the door to offer Kirk a job anymore,

How many of our coaches are wanted by other programs? Not many. That says something.

Someone hacked Robs account.

If not that, Rob define you definition of Anti K F. Be honest.

My honest opinion....you are being kind of a sarcastic jerk. But hard to tell.

KF is what he is. Anyone who says they luv all that is KF is not being honest.

Latest posts