What are you expecting out of 2014 class?

franstheman

With the staff not needing to be concerned about the spring period for 2013 with the signing of Jok, they have some extra time for the 2014 class.

With this extra time and the wealth of talent in the midwest in this class it would be nice if we could see Dillard's connection to "handlers" put to work and the staff can sign a few more blue chippers!

Fran's first class had Oglesby who was top 150 and Aaron White who's our best player.

Fran's second class had our starting PG Anthony Clemmons, top 100 Mike Gesell and top 50 Adam Woodbury

Fran's third class has top 100 Uthoff (transfer) and top 100 Jok.

Fran's fourth class..... sky's the limit.;)

It is actually his fifth class you are talking about. Although a couple of players were signed, Fran had to re-recruit Marble & McCabe. If they wanted to ask for a request to be released from their scholarships, they would have been granted that release. Plus he brought in Basabe.

But I agree, the sky is the limit! He has all the time he needs to pickup three great players. No doubt he will do just that.

FWIW, it's kind of misleading to call Jok a top 100. He is a unique situation, and despite being fairly vocal in opposition to Fran recruiting him, I've come to think Iowa got a steal with Peter Jok. But still, nobody that is credible has him ranked.

I'd like to see Iowa land two top 150 guys, Tyler Ulis seems like a good possibility, and Malek Harris would be great.

Actually most are projecting Jok will be top 100 by end of the spring eval. period so I just went ahead and agreed with them ;)

It is actually his fifth class you are talking about. Although a couple of players were signed, Fran had to re-recruit Marble & McCabe. If they wanted to ask for a request to be released from their scholarships, they would have been granted that release. Plus he brought in Basabe.

But I agree, the sky is the limit! He has all the time he needs to pickup three great players. No doubt he will do just that.

Yeah I didn't count that class as it wasn't all Fran's. Basabe was a good get but I doubt a guard like Cartwright would have gotten an offer for Fran in a regular class, he was just the best available the summer before classes start which is very bare for talent.

Although I hear Jok can fill it up, someone who can shoot the deep ball would be fantastic in the 2014 class.

My wish: combo guard (Collier), slashing SF who has lots of athleticism (Harris) and big man (Bonifas)

Guys who apparently have offers with some reciprocal interest:
G Dominique Collier/PG Larry Austin F/G Jordan Barnett/SF Malek Harris
I'd love Collier/Barnett. That's my wish list. But I'd certainly take any combo of the above. Our new line-up with both Gesell/Clemmons has got to be intriguing to Collier/Austin = playing time.

I get the impression that Bonifas is interested but Fran is waiting to see how he develops. Also in the mix: PG Tyler Ulis, SG Darrell Davis

I'd love Collier/Barnett. That's my wish list. But I'd certainly take any combo of the above. Our new line-up with both Gesell/Clemmons has got to be intriguing to Collier/Austin = playing time.

I get the impression that Bonifas is interested but Fran is waiting to see how he develops. Also in the mix: PG Tyler Ulis, SG Darrell Davis

Darrell Davis, here is what his Rivals blurb says in the part I can read for free:

"The Iowa Hawkeyes three scholarships available for the Class of 2014 and one of their top targets in that class appears to be Darrell Davis. The 6-foot-3 shooting guard holds and offer from the Hawkeyes and he says they have told him he is a priority his recruiting class."
Darrell Davis - Yahoo! Sports

Also, about 99% sure I saw a tweet the last Saturday that Fran was in Detroit watching a game and then was on his way to Ohio. I'd have to guess he was watching Davis. This coupled with the above statement from Rivals makes it appear Davis is in deed an important target for us.
Fran is a relentless recruiter, I'm confident he is going to land a couple great players in this class.

WE NEED BIGS! By the time the 2014 class comes to campus, we cannot reasonably expect White and Woodbury to stick around in college.

Fran offered Bonifas a scholly on his 14th Birthday right before his freshman season began..
as for Jok just the other night he went 5-10 from 3 in a overtime win in which he hit the shot that put it into overtime, in his Freshman season NY2LA had him as the #1 player in the country he was top 5 everywhere else, til knee issues occurred

I am going to try and find a way to see Davis, it is just scary going to some schools in Detroit, have to look at their schedule, if they play Cass Tech at CT I may be able to go, but I haven't looked at their schedule yet.

To me, I think Bonifas will be a Hawkeye, not if, but when and with Finke off the board, I think you may hear something this Summer, just a feeling, if not sooner.

With the 2014 class, Iowa can afford to go all out on guys like Collier and Harris because they are getting to the point that even if those guys don't come, the staff is proving that they can evaluate talent, which is what really gets me excited when I see players like Collier/Harris having interest in Iowa and have been on campus and I know the Iowa staff have seen both. Larry Austin has been to Iowa City as well, but I don't see a pure PG in this class, which is why I like Collier so much as he is growing and is a bit over 6-3 and says he is comfortable playing both guard positions.

Iowa has arrived on the recruiting scene and is going to get some top 150 kids, but also still look for guys like Clemmons and White. I think you will see Kyle Meyer in that same mold next season and why a true center will not be a priority, but a big man is and if Bonifas is not done growing he will be able to play both big spots.

WE NEED BIGS! By the time the 2014 class comes to campus, we cannot reasonably expect White and Woodbury to stick around in college.

White's staying 4 years. He's good but not good enough to leave early.

Woodbury will be in the NBA but he's not like a Zeller or the IL center of last year. Meaning, he can't rely on elite athleticism. His effectiveness is based on being a high-energy guy. Did you see how winded he was in the ISU game? That's from less than 25 minutes. Until he can stay out there for 35 minutes and not get winded, plus put on the weight he'll need at the next level, he's at Iowa. That's at least 3 years.

Maybe Bonifas has got a conditional offer based on improvement. What other bigs are in the picture? Wouldn't more be evidently recruited if Fran felt he needed another big for 2014? Sure, we'd always take a Cliff Alexander but who wouldn't?

What we need is athletic, skilled wings and knock-down shooters. Hence, the pursuit of Barnett, Harris, and Davis. With Gesell/Clemmons both starters, we could definitely use another PG/combo. See Collier/Austin/Ulis. Fran has pursued and offered most of these guys so obviously he agrees with me.

Woodbury will be in the NBA but he's not like a Zeller or the IL center of last year. Meaning, he can't rely on elite athleticism. His effectiveness is based on being a high-energy guy. Did you see how winded he was in the ISU game? That's from less than 25 minutes. Until he can stay out there for 35 minutes and not get winded, plus put on the weight he'll need at the next level, he's at Iowa. That's at least 3 years.

Hater. I didn't say they were NBA ready NOW, but they certainly will be by 2014. Just look how much they have developed after 1/3 of a season. Extrapolate that, and NBA scouts must have crispy undies thinking about bringing guys liek that into camp.

Maybe Bonifas has got a conditional offer based on improvement. What other bigs are in the picture? Wouldn't more be evidently recruited if Fran felt he needed another big for 2014? Sure, we'd always take a Cliff Alexander but who wouldn't?

What we need is athletic, skilled wings and knock-down shooters. Hence, the pursuit of Barnett, Harris, and Davis. With Gesell/Clemmons both starters, we could definitely use another PG/combo. See Collier/Austin/Ulis. Fran has pursued and offered most of these guys so obviously he agrees with me.
that kid from Illinois had these for stats as a Freshman
2.1 ppg, 1.2 rpg, 0.4 bpg and avg'd 8.2 mpg
Woodbury as a FR is putting up these stats thru 10 games as a starter
7.2 ppg, 5.0 rp, 1.1 bpg and 17.6 mpg
to say Woodbury can't be ready after his SO season is foolish, and Woodbury is getting better with each game, and Woodbury is a better passer and more of a center as Leonard liked the 3 point shot

that kid from Illinois had these for stats as a Freshman
2.1 ppg, 1.2 rpg, 0.4 bpg and avg'd 8.2 mpg
Woodbury as a FR is putting up these stats thru 10 games as a starter
7.2 ppg, 5.0 rp, 1.1 bpg and 17.6 mpg
to say Woodbury can't be ready after his SO season is foolish, and Woodbury is getting better with each game, and Woodbury is a better passer and more of a center as Leonard liked the 3 point shot

Leonard also averaged less than 10 minutes per game as a frosh because IL actually had players who could fill the position with experience. Now, don't get me wrong, Woody will be an NBA player, I'm just saying that because he relies on high energy in a 7'1" body and not elite athleticism, he has to be in better shape than Leonard was as a soph to go pro. You know redhawk, that's actually a good thing for Iowa.

I am well aware of who was infront of Leonard, but who is getting the most out of his freshman season. someone who started or someone who got mopup minutes?
my guess is a kid who starts. someone that is getting tested every game where a mistake here or there can lose the game.

Latest posts