What About Northwestern?

Northside Hawk

They are hardly looking impressive doing it, and they had their customary lackluster September, but they are quietly leading the West as of this morning. They have an impressive win at MSU, a tough home loss to Michigan that they let get away, and a bunch of wierd, close games in between. They have beaten Purdue, Nebraska, and Rutgers by a combined total of nine points. A win is a win, and teams like can be dangerous. I don't expect to stay on top because most teams in the West have a game in hand on them, but you don't need me to tell you that they usually play us tough. They usually play Wisconsin tough as well.

Best way to beat them is by not mucking up game and playing into their hands. That's what we've done in the past. That's not what I expect us to do this year.

They were lucky to get Purdue and Michigan early. I actually think they lose their next 4.

They lost to Michigan...but I get your point, they played em close. BTW, how is it Northwestern can get a Notre Dame on their schedule and we can't?

I’d assume it’s us not wanting that game, not them.

I agree and it might be an old deal but ND IIRC dropped Iowa back in the 60' after many years of playing. ND has a lot of rivalries and Mich St became a big one in the 50s.

Maybe Iowa just doesnt want to go there after being dropped but one home and home series would be fun

Fitzy will throw the defensive kitchen sink at Iowa, all kinds of blitzes and this has been the formula to for jNW to stop Iowa since Barnett was there as Iowa usually has the better personnel.

On offense they will spread and play dink and dunk then try to go over the top a few times a game. When their passing game is on and their QBs keep plays alive they are always tough. I dont think they have the best running game this year though

...all kinds of blitzes and this has been the formula to for jNW to stop Iowa...
This is the formula for everyone to beat Iowa. For the life of me I don't know why teams don't bring the house every down. We have been historically bad at picking up LB and safety blitzes and when teams ignore that (OSU last year), they pay for it.

Because we have to play Lames every year.

This is true and just another reason why I would love Iowa to dump the ISU game or only play them maybe 4 times in 10 years.

When I was growing up and listening and rarely watching the hawks on tv or at kinnick, from 1957-1970, it was so much better to follow Iowa than Iowa St because of who Iowa played. In those days Oklahoma and once in awhile Nebby were the only good Big 8 teams and Iowa St played a lame ass non-con schedule.

Look it up, Iowa would be playing USC, Penn St, Washington, Syracuse, etc while Iowa St was playing Drake, Pacific, and mostly lower tier teams.

This is the formula for everyone to beat Iowa. For the life of me I don't know why teams don't bring the house every down. We have been historically bad at picking up LB and safety blitzes and when teams ignore that (OSU last year), they pay for it.

Teams are still blitzing the crap out of us. ISU was sending all kinds of blitz packages. Minnesota and Indiana were too. We are just better at picking it up...better...not great...because Indiana, in particular was getting there...and they couldn't make a play on Stanley. Our backs can still get better though in picking up the blitz.

Someone flashed Stanley's numbers when teams blitz'd and it was pretty impressive. I'm old...I can't remember where I saw the stats. Now where are my keys...wait I left the car running outside.

Depending on how the season turns out that Wisconsin vs iowa game might haunt us for years.
I feel for the kid, but Beyer would end up being the Bill Buckner of Iowa. If we win out and so does Wisconsin we go from the B1G championship game to a very real possibility of playing in the RedBox or San Francisco Bowl because of how the affiliations work. I sure hope Woods realizes that.

Depending on how the season turns out that Wisconsin vs iowa game might haunt us for years.
We needed one more non conference game to get some kinks out of our system, and not just special teams. A conference opener against Illinois or Ruthers would have also been just what the doctor ordered.

That said, I'm sticking to my previous guns and not bestowing definitive judgement until after Penn State. We may be catching them at the perfect time just as much as we caught Wisconsin at a bad time. We may not have had a chance in Happy Valley in September.

We could also have a 1991 situation. We lost the conference opener at home to Michigan. We then ran the table, but Michigan never lost. With only one loss, we had to settle for BYU in the Holiday Bowl. That would also be our finest hour for a while until Tim Dwight and Sedrick Shaw/Tavian Banks showed up.

Latest posts