What about Jok??

1hawkeye1

I've seen him a couple times and I just love his game. I'm surprised that he is getting no mention for B1G FOY in all the preseason polls.

Has he fallen that far from his previous high rankings or is it that with all Iowa's depth he will not see as much PT as others?

I think it's a combination of the two but heard Tom Kakert say yesterday he saw him as the 1st or 2nd guy off the bench as an "instant offense" guy. Fran said in the BIG Media Day transcript he was an extremely good shooter. Probably comes down to whether he can play defense and if so, his minutes will increase accordingly.

I've seen him a couple times and I just love his game. I'm surprised that he is getting no mention for B1G FOY in all the preseason polls.

Has he fallen that far from his previous high rankings or is it that with all Iowa's depth he will not see as much PT as others?[/QUOTE]

Yes and yes.

Indiana is young, so their froshes will be counted on more, UM has a couple studs too...
Just a few names of guys who are probably going to see more press... it's a pretty deep frosh class

Noah Vonleh
Troy Williams
Derrick Walton
Zak Irvin
Stanford Robinson
Malcolm Hill
Kendrick Nunn

Maybe even talk about Bronson Koenig depending on if Gasser plays the 2 and if Traevon Jackson sticks at the 1 too.

A lot of talent in the B1G, esp young talent. And it's weird because now Iowa is one of the older teams in the league.
[h=1][/h]

Also didn't mention either of the two guys from Purdue, they could get some substantial PT too - Stephens and Scott.

With the new rules, if teams start going to more zone I think this could open up more minutes for Jok in certain games. If he can shoot like Fran says, we will need him to come on and make teams pay for running a zone on us.

We need to slow down on Jok. He's going to be a player for us, no doubt. I even think he's going to have a nice freshmen season for us (average around 5-7 ppg). But FOY? He's not even a top 150 recruit and he's coming to a team with a lot of depth already.

I think Jok is highly anticipated because he had the NBA potential before his high school injury that scared off all of the elite programs. He's definitely a shooter and will play aggressive, the only questions are his defense and post-injury health. I like that he's under the radar, if he makes it on the freshmen team, which I think he will. He will play with a chip on his shoulder, just like White.

Many high ranked frosh entering the league this year....Peter is not even on the radar...which is fine...just be Iowa's FOY and we will be fine.

Spank is on the right trail here...Jok is on a deeper team than Indiana and a more talented team than Purdue. He's not gonna get the reps.

Spank is on the right trail here...Jok is on a deeper team than Indiana and a more talented team than Purdue. He's not gonna get the reps.

Finally....Iowa is deep enough not to have to count on true frosh to carry the team. This is a good thing. Still, IU has some real talented frosh this year, with the big guy likely going to the NBA right away. These guys are probably better players than Jok. Stephens of Purdue is going to be even better than his dad,Everette, was at PU...we are getting old, Jon.

Most of these pre-season predictions, whether for teams or players, are pretty much knee jerk decisions made by writers and coaches that can't be bothered to do any real research. They are truly meaningless and nothing to get hot and bothered about.

Peter Jok is an unranked three star with offers from Iowa and Drake, why would anyone talk about him outside of Iowa fans.

Nobody, outside of us, cares about his rankings as a freshman.

Peter Jok is an unranked three star with offers from Iowa and Drake, why would anyone talk about him outside of Iowa fans.

Nobody, outside of us, cares about his rankings as a freshman.

True ... for now;)

There will be plenty of talk as he tears up the non-con. Jok bombing 3's off the high post screens by McCabe will be staples for the second platoon's offense and he will get plenty of pt as many games will be in hand. Whether the "talk" continues (the "x-factor" on Jok) will be if he can sustain it during the B1G season and play adequate defense for Fran to keep him on the floor to keep getting reps.

Most of these pre-season predictions, whether for teams or players, are pretty much knee jerk decisions made by writers and coaches that can't be bothered to do any real research. They are truly meaningless and nothing to get hot and bothered about.

+1. Jok will have a chance to prove himself on the court, and preseason predictions won't (and don't) mean squat. Others have made good points about Iowa's depth, though.. Jok won't be counted on heavily as a freshman. If he doesn't win B10 FOY, no worries. I'm hoping more that he will be all-B10 as an upper classman.

Nope, I think Jok will be a good player for the Hawks. But you have to understand, he isn't a high profile recruit- just a matter of fact.

Before his injury, he was getting loads of attention and then everyone backed off. I understand he may not be the same player post-injury.. Has anyone heard any recent analysis on Jok comparing him to the player he was before injuries? I haven't read that he is NOT the same player either, though.

If nothing else, it sounds like he will be a good shooter, and you can never have too many shooters. But I'm hoping he can still be a player that can be explosive and get to the rim.

Regarding his lack of offers - was his commitment to us considered early? Would he have had a lot more offers if he hadn't committed to Iowa when he did?

Latest posts