What About Baylor?

MelroseHawkins

What if the BIG went after Baylor. Wouldn't that be a good move to get a large footprint into Texas and its fans. In addition, a larger footprint to help with recruiting players to the BIG. I could see Baylor being a sensible university to invite and I think it seems like it would be a good fit over time. Academically, I think they could be better than many other universities as I think of them as a research university and they have a pretty impressive medical school. I think they would meet all that criteria.

I think getting a chunk of Texas would be a good move after Texas and OK are going to the SEC. It would make sense to me and I think it would be a good move for the BIG network.

Thoughts?

Not big enough for the B1G. And the cable model, which is still relevant to some extent now, is reliant on a huge, loud, psychopathic fan base that will badger the sh1t out of the cable companies and deliver TV sets at a premium rate every month. There are two schools in Texas who fit the bill, A&M and UT. And they're both in the SEC. The lower tier schools don't have the market power or fanbases. I know I predicted the cable model breaking in a decade about 10 years ago and I was a bit early on the prediction, but the writing is absolutely on the wall on that front. The B1G TV deal may be the last monstrous TV deal inked for collegiate sports.

The wave of the future is going to be some sort of direct to consumer model. It has to be, cable is breaking very quickly and content delivery model is becoming highly fragmented and yielding far lower economic returns than the content companies were anticipating. Assuming a direct to consumer model comes into effect, schools like Rutgers and Baylor categorically cannot be equal share partners in an endeavor like the Big Ten because they just won't deliver the subscribers. I hate to say it, but even our beloved wouldn't be able to deliver in that model, but we would be much better positioned to do so than Baylor or Rutgers.

What if the BIG went after Baylor. Wouldn't that be a good move to get a large footprint into Texas and its fans. In addition, a larger footprint to help with recruiting players to the BIG. I could see Baylor being a sensible university to invite and I think it seems like it would be a good fit over time. Academically, I think they could be better than many other universities as I think of them as a research university and they have a pretty impressive medical school. I think they would meet all that criteria.

I think getting a chunk of Texas would be a good move after Texas and OK are going to the SEC. It would make sense to me and I think it would be a good move for the BIG network.

Thoughts?
As someone who lives in Texas Texas Tech is maybe the only other school that could move that needle right now. UNT maybe in the next decade after they move to the American. I think brining in FSU Miami USF UNC GT and or Clemson would be better at this point. Baylor, TCU, & SMU aren't that widely followed unless people are forcing themselves to be fans.

Footprint = the Irish. If one of power five gets them it will be a major get. They are not what the used to be but they have a mega huge draw for either Love or Hate! Considering the region in which they live it would make total sense for them to join the B1G. Let’s see how they do in Kinnick ever other year.

Footprint = the Irish. If one of power five gets them it will be a major get. They are not what the used to be but they have a mega huge draw for either Love or Hate! Considering the region in which they live it would make total sense for them to join the B1G. Let’s see how they do in Kinnick ever other year.
NBC will want a piece of the action, which I think can only be a good thing for the conference that wins that sweepstakes.

I'd rather see SMU come to the B1G before Baylor. In the heart of Dallas. The school while small can get the dudes. Lots of very wealthy Alumni.

Good school and great athletics. But, like others stated, the Big10 is going after 1st tier schools. Unfortunately Baylor will never be top dog in the state.

I know this adding a Texas school to the B1G is an admirable goal, but how does Baylor's academic research compare to ATM and UT?

Rumor has it that Oklahoma and Texas came to the B1G first before they decided to bolt to the SEC. Hindsight being what it is I wish Kevin Warren would have said "yes" if the rumors are true.

They've had their chance so I am over them. I hope they never get invited at this point. To me, it ain't worth the headache at this point. The BIG don't need any Texas's joining the league who think they are above everyone else.

So over them.

Latest posts