What about a Big Four Weekend at the Well

I think Iowa should host it at CHA as a prerequisite to play both of these teams.

If anything Iowa and Iowa St should play in Des Moines every year.

As a Panther fan, if we have to go on the road, we might as well put Minnesota, or Wisconsin on the schedule instead of Iowa. Or maybe Missouri or one of the Kansas schools would be fun to watch. It would help UNI in the long term more to get more games with other schools from big conferences. I see no problem in ending the series. UNI became a better program by playing stronger competition. That competition doesn't need to be in Iowa.

As a Panther fan, if we have to go on the road, we might as well put Minnesota, or Wisconsin on the schedule instead of Iowa. Or maybe Missouri or one of the Kansas schools would be fun to watch. It would help UNI in the long term more to get more games with other schools from big conferences. I see no problem in ending the series. UNI became a better program by playing stronger competition. That competition doesn't need to be in Iowa.

That's the point. Your home games this year were against Northern Colorado Bears, Western Carolina Catamounts, and a few other mid-major or lower schools. The only major conference team that traveled to UNI was Iowa.

Do you really think that Minnesota or Nebraska or Kansas would schedule a home and home with you? It won't happen and it shouldn't be allowed to happen again from Iowa's standpoint.

Jon

great idea, what a fun weekend, but I would be surprised if the schools could afford it? I would bet the biggest revenue nights for UNI or Drake are when they play ISU or Hawks at home, I can barely wait to see next yrs Hawkeye and UNI game, rumor has it that Barta has already hired the refs.

Not in a million years. So if we aren't gonna get a home game anyway, we should play better schools on the road. Right now, that's not Iowa. We could re-visit playing Iowa in 5 years or so. Meanwhile, I would love to schedule a home and home with really good Mid-majors, and schedule higher quality schools from bigger conferences on the road.

Sounds like a win-win for both parties..

Not in a million years. So if we aren't gonna get a home game anyway, we should play better schools on the road. Right now, that's not Iowa. We could re-visit playing Iowa in 5 years or so. Meanwhile, I would love to schedule a home and home with really good Mid-majors, and schedule higher quality schools from bigger conferences on the road.

you can schedule better major conference teams than Iowa on the road and Iowa can avoid playing a mid-major road game.

I don't see it happening. Though, keep in mind, I thought Iowa would win 22 games this year so my perspective is suspect.

In a tournament setting UNI/Drake may have to play each other. They already play twice in the regular season and maybe again in the post season. Do they want to put themselves in the situation to play 13% of their games against a single opponent?

It may be time to let the series go away. Much like the Iowa/isu game in football.

If this falls through, my second choice would be Mccaffrey and the ref from last in a cage match at Meskwaki with dollar beers.

I like the idea, except I would like to see it on a Saturday and Sunday. I'm not a fan of Big 4 teams playing on Friday nights since it's traditionally a high school basketball night.

if you have 4 team event between the Iowa schools
you could have the opening round switch to a matchup between Iowa vs Drake and ISU vs UNI then the next year switch to a Matchup between Iowa vs UNI and ISU and Drake
you can keep it this way so you avoid a matchup between UNI and Drake unless they meet in the Championship game
as for money it would be a 4 way split and the games would be over 2 days
then the State would have their Champion and everybody could schedule another game against a OOC opponent

if you have 4 team event between the Iowa schools
you could have the opening round switch to a matchup between Iowa vs Drake and ISU vs UNI then the next year switch to a Matchup between Iowa vs UNI and ISU and Drake
you can keep it this way so you avoid a matchup between UNI and Drake unless they meet in the Championship game
as for money it would be a 4 way split and the games would be over 2 days
then the State would have their Champion and everybody could schedule another game against a OOC opponent

I think that it wouldn't be a tournament. Just two games prescheduled on day 1 and two games prescheduled on day 2. That way Iowa doesn't play ISU and Drake doesn't play UNI.

so a pair of BCS level teams don't get a chance to play each other
under your scenario you are giving in to the MVC teams
i prefer a tourny setup where teams earn the right to play for the State championship and there is a good chance that Iowa and ISU get to play each other
sorry there is no way i only want a matchup between bcs vs mvc every year

That's the point. Your home games this year were against Northern Colorado Bears, Western Carolina Catamounts, and a few other mid-major or lower schools. The only major conference team that traveled to UNI was Iowa.

Do you really think that Minnesota or Nebraska or Kansas would schedule a home and home with you? It won't happen and it shouldn't be allowed to happen again from Iowa's standpoint.

The only BCS team that came to Iowa in the non conference was Clemson and that wasn't even Iowa's decision.

My thought was close to yours. How about a 4 team 2-game tournament at the Well. Draw for 1st game matchups. It would free up a game with another opponent at home or big conference opponent home/away.

Drake and UNI can't meet each other since they are in the same conference. That is why Creighton took Nebraska's place in the Dale Howard Classic this year.

This idea has been floating around since the Well was built. It would be a fantastic weekend of basketball to be certain.

I wonder, however, if Iowa will ever be able to beat the epic power of UNI. Those guys can take a charge better than anyone I've ever seen. What a weapon! And their campus is a sprawling Mecca of culture, diversity and well, I have to admit . . . the best looking girls in the midwest. They have a very rich tradition. I, for one, would be imminently proud to wear a UNI purple and yellow sweatshirt with a ferocious cat on it.

so a pair of BCS level teams don't get a chance to play each other
under your scenario you are giving in to the MVC teams
i prefer a tourny setup where teams earn the right to play for the State championship and there is a good chance that Iowa and ISU get to play each other
sorry there is no way i only want a matchup between bcs vs mvc every year

SMH

Under the set up, Iowa and Iowa State would still play each other in a home-and home setting. It makes it so Iowa and Iowa State play every year in a large arena against the small schools instead of playing once at home against Drake or UNI and once on the road against the other of Drake or UNI. A sample two year slate under this scenario would look something like:

2012-2013:
December 11, 6 PM-UNI vs. Iowa State at Wells Fargo
December 11, 8:30 PM-Drake vs. Iowa at Wells Fargo
December 12, 1:30 PM-UNI vs. Iowa at Wells Fargo
December 12, 4 PM-Drake vs. Iowa State at Wells Fargo
Other dates: Iowa at Iowa State, Drake at UNI, UNI at Drake

2013-2014:
December 12, 6 PM-Drake vs. Iowa at Wells Fargo
December 12, 8:30-UNI vs. Iowa State at Wells Fargo
December 13, 1:30 PM-Drake vs. Iowa State at Wells Fargo
December 13, 4 PM-UNI vs. Iowa
Other dates: Iowa State at Iowa, Drake at UNI, UNI at Drake

In summary, ISU and Iowa would still play each other every year, but it would independent of this Wells Fargo non-tournament 4-game series.

1) How would you divide the revenue?
2) Question #1 is based on the fact that we should not schedule UNI nor Drake and travel to their facilities - EVER. We don't go to any other mid-major home court, we shouldn't go to theirs.
3) What is in it for Iowa to schedule these teams? nothing

Its sounds good in theory that we get to play all the instate schools and everybody gets a nice warm and fuzzy, but whats the point? We (Iowa) and (Iowa State) gain nothing out of playing UNI and Drake on their HOME court. If they want to travel to Iowa City every year then I'm all for keeping them on the schedule. If not, go find another mid-major that wants to come in to Iowa City.

Full Disclosure: I am an Iowa football season ticket holder but I am an UNI grad.

This seems to be a powerplay by Iowa and Iowa State after close to 10 years of losing to the Panthers. Are you really telling me that you can't do home and homes with UNI and Drake when you play 30+ games a year? If you want to get literal, UNI (and Drake for a couple of years) was doing Iowa and Iowa State a favor. By playing the two "big schools" it has hurt UNI's RPI this year (and most years). After listeing to my fellow Hawkeye fans the last couple of days being totally irrational (like the poster above) I now know why Iowa State fans hate us. But after thinking about it, I guess it shows that the Iowa athletic department and the Iowa fan base finally respects and are fearful/jealous of the Panther.

Someone through this idea out to me this morning.

Say Iowa v UNI and ISU v Drake on a Friday night at the Well. Then Iowa vs Drake and ISU vs UNI the following night/afternoon on a Saturday at the Well..Iowa and ISU keep their game home and home.
I always thought that it would be cool for Iowa and ISU to play at the Well but this sesems like an even better idea. Should get the womens teams on board with this as well.

Latest posts