What about a Big Four Weekend at the Well

The only BCS team that came to Iowa in the non conference was Clemson and that wasn't even Iowa's decision.

Number of games Iowa will play against BCS schools during the season: 20
Number of games UNI will play against BCS schools during the season: 3

Which team do you think needs to schedule BCS schools in the OOC?

Which team plays the tougher competition night in and night out? We play in the #1, #2 or #3 toughest conference in the country.

Full Disclosure: I am an Iowa football season ticket holder but I am an UNI grad.

This seems to be a powerplay by Iowa and Iowa State after close to 10 years of losing to the Panthers. Are you really telling me that you can't do home and homes with UNI and Drake when you play 30+ games a year? If you want to get literal, UNI (and Drake for a couple of years) was doing Iowa and Iowa State a favor. By playing the two "big schools" it has hurt UNI's RPI this year (and most years). After listeing to my fellow Hawkeye fans the last couple of days being totally irrational (like the poster above) I now know why Iowa State fans hate us. But after thinking about it, I guess it shows that the Iowa athletic department and the Iowa fan base finally respects and are fearful/jealous of the Panther.

Nobody is fearful or jealous of a directional school in the state of Iowa. The fact is that Iowa basketball has been down for going on a decade now.

The point that I'm making is that there is no need for a major conference program to do a home and away series against a MVC team. We wouldn't do one against Illinois State, Bradley, SIU, Wichita State, etc., so why would we do one with UNI? The point being that we can schedule any mid-major team in the current UNI slot going forward and not have to travel, give up revenue, add costs, for no real gain. We win then we are expected to win (most years), we lose and it hurts us (most years).

Iowa State - in basketball - I can understand why we are doing a home and away series. They currently play in a major conference. When UNI moves to the Big12, SEC, ACC, Big East, Big 10 or Pac12 then give us a call and we will do a home and away series.

doesn't the Well hold over 15,000 fans
if so a nuetral site might not be a bad idea
besides i am tired of the UNI flop and here i thought the antics by MSU players was bad

Nobody is fearful or jealous of a directional school in the state of Iowa. The fact is that Iowa basketball has been down for going on a decade now.

The point that I'm making is that there is no need for a major conference program to do a home and away series against a MVC team. We wouldn't do one against Illinois State, Bradley, SIU, Wichita State, etc., so why would we do one with UNI? The point being that we can schedule any mid-major team in the current UNI slot going forward and not have to travel, give up revenue, add costs, for no real gain. We win then we are expected to win (most years), we lose and it hurts us (most years).

Iowa State - in basketball - I can understand why we are doing a home and away series. They currently play in a major conference. When UNI moves to the Big12, SEC, ACC, Big East, Big 10 or Pac12 then give us a call and we will do a home and away series.

Do you really believe that if the Hawks wuss out and drop UNI from the schedule, they're going to replace it with a home-and-home against a major-conference team?

Number of games Iowa will play against BCS schools during the season: 20
Number of games UNI will play against BCS schools during the season: 3

Which team do you think needs to schedule BCS schools in the OOC?

Which team plays the tougher competition night in and night out? We play in the #1, #2 or #3 toughest conference in the country.

Ya! So lets go into the conference season with zero challenging games! That will surely help Iowa if it ever gets consideration for the NCAA tournament.

UNI should drop the series for at least a few years and use the open dates to play the big paycheck road games like they did vs Syracuse.

I'm not opposed to playing Drake & UNI, but I don't particularly see the need to play every single in-state team on an annual basis, either. As others have pointed out, how many major conference teams play home/home with mid-majors? Why does Iowa and ISU have to do this?

There was a time, like back in the 1980's, when Iowa didn't play UNI & Drake every year, and only played ISU. It wouldn't break my heart if we went back to that. At least it's a Big 10 vs. Big XII matchup.

That said, I wouldn't want to see UNI & Drake replaced with Prairie View A&M or teams like that. More cupcakes is not going to interest me much - I'd rather keep UNI & Drake.

I'd rather see more games against other major conference teams, even if it's mid-lower programs from those conferences: Providence, Texas Tech, Arizona St, etc. Win or lose, the cupcakes games bore me..

Game Times Announced:
Iowa Vs. UNI 1:30pm
ISU vs. Drake 4pm

GENERAL PUBLIC TICKETS GO ON SALE OCT. 26th

BTN will televise Iowa vs. UNI

Men's basketball: Starting times announced for Big 4 gathering on Dec. 15 | The Des Moines Register | desmoinesregister.com

spacer.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts