What about a Big Four Weekend at the Well

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Someone through this idea out to me this morning.

Say Iowa v UNI and ISU v Drake on a Friday night at the Well. Then Iowa vs Drake and ISU vs UNI the following night/afternoon on a Saturday at the Well..Iowa and ISU keep their game home and home.

That doesn't help the problem that we are looking at decreased nonconference games next year. That would mean we play at least 2 games out of Carver. Plus you still have ISU and BIG/ACC game.

I proposed something similar on the board last year after getting stuck in the rafters at the Iowa-Drake game and having a great view of the game between guard wires, fans walking in front of me on the track and the basket. If memory serves, many claimed Drake would never give up the revenue because Wells Fargo gets all the concession, parking, etc.

I think it is a great idea though.

How about instead of Drake and UNI...we play Iowa school for blind and Iowa school for the Deaf?? We need W's however we can get them

I proposed something similar on the board last year after getting stuck in the rafters at the Iowa-Drake game and having a great view of the game between guard wires, fans walking in front of me on the track and the basket. If memory serves, many claimed Drake would never give up the revenue because Wells Fargo gets all the concession, parking, etc.

I think it is a great idea though.

Drake can be excluded then invite Creighton instead.

I like the idea of this turning into a mini tournament but rotate the sites between the Well, Iowa City, Cedar Falls, and Ames. I think exposing all 4 teams in different parts of the state would be huge for everybody.

That doesn't help the problem that we are looking at decreased nonconference games next year. That would mean we play at least 2 games out of Carver. Plus you still have ISU and BIG/ACC game.

This is the correct answer. Sure it would be neat but you cannot take away another home game or 2 each season. How about Iowa just improves so they don't have to complain about playing MVC teams.

This would be a great idea, then on Sunday you could have the wrestling with the 1st match being Iowa vs. UNI, then ISU vs. UNI and the 3rd dual to cap the weekend could be Iowa vs. ISU.

I don't think Iowa or Iowa State should play UNI or Drake on the road, it is just a trap game where they schools have more to lose than they stand to gain. Other schools don't do it. Even the best teams in the country don't go on the road to play midmajors so why are Iowa and Iowa State doing it?

My thought was close to yours. How about a 4 team 2-game tournament at the Well. Draw for 1st game matchups. It would free up a game with another opponent at home or big conference opponent home/away.

1) How would you divide the revenue?
2) Question #1 is based on the fact that we should not schedule UNI nor Drake and travel to their facilities - EVER. We don't go to any other mid-major home court, we shouldn't go to theirs.
3) What is in it for Iowa to schedule these teams? nothing

Its sounds good in theory that we get to play all the instate schools and everybody gets a nice warm and fuzzy, but whats the point? We (Iowa) and (Iowa State) gain nothing out of playing UNI and Drake on their HOME court. If they want to travel to Iowa City every year then I'm all for keeping them on the schedule. If not, go find another mid-major that wants to come in to Iowa City.

Latest posts