Welsh back, Kornbrath gone

God damn Ferentz...what are we going to do without our third string scholarship punter? Man, things are starting out pretty damn iffy to me. When is someone going to realize we need a change.

Good news on Welsh. He got some experience last year...and if he gets the left guard spot, he will have to earn with the talent we have now that's working hard.

Whenever you think Kirk can't raise the bar on his lunacy he continually shows there really is no ceiling.

Wasting a scholly on a putrid punter who won't even be on the team and who wouldn't be able to walk-on at another Power 5 school?

It's truly inspiring to be so close to this level of genius.

I don't know how this works, but what would be the benefit of pulling his scholarship at this point? Not like you could bring in someone to fill that spot this year?

I don't know how this works, but what would be the benefit of pulling his scholarship at this point? Not like you could bring in someone to fill that spot this year?

Ofcourse you could.

There are better ways to use a one year scholy, even if it's just a walkon who is actually on the team.

I am happy that Welsh is back given we devoted much time to recruiting him and a great deal of playing time to him last year over Boone Myers or even Ike Boettger. Those 2 guys could have used some meaningful snaps for this year. To have Welsh leave after that would be a killer.

By the same token, something is up with this guy so I want to actually see him on the field before I feel relieved.

God damn Ferentz...what are we going to do without our third string scholarship punter? Man, things are starting out pretty damn iffy to me. When is someone going to realize we need a change.

Really? Someone is upset that Con Kornbrath won't be the
back-up punter in 2015? Really........someone actually cares about that?

Glad to hear Sean Welsch is back playing football

Welcome back! This o-line is looking good. I also think that this will help the special teams next year. Kidd was looking good this spring. Kornbrath being eligible in 2016 will give Iowa experience at the position.

Last edited:
Really? Someone is upset that Con Kornbrath won't be the
back-up punter in 2015? Really........someone actually cares about that?

Glad to hear Sean Welsch is back playing football

Yeah, Ferentz is loyal to his starting punter from last year in letting him keep the scholly instead of giving to another non-impact player and it becomes one more reason to mock him for the haters. What a shocker.

Welcome back! This o-line is looking good. I also think that this will help the special teams next year. Kidd was looking good this spring. Kornbrath being eligible in 2016 will give Iowa experience at the position.

He's not being redshirted. He's been kicked off the team pretty much cause Iowa doesn't need 3 punters. I think Koehn is going to get that gig too cause Kidd stunk it up last yr. Can a coach kick a kid off and take his scholly away just because he's not good enough? Maybe he can't take his scholly away unless there's a disciplinary reason why. I don't know how that works but If that's why he gets to remain on scholly that's my guess as to why.

very happy to hear welsh is back.. We need all the experience and depth we can get on the line that needs to replace two draft picks. I dont understand why Kornbrath is on scholly if hes not on the team. Im sure there is a reason but it seems illogical

I don't see why the rules would keep him from being eligible next year. He did not red shirt his first year. He played 3 years. Even if his scholarship does not extend to 2016, could he not walk on?

Hmmmm... a kid comes to Iowa and works his butt off. It doesn't work out so the coach makes sure the kid can still do what he came here for which is to get an education.

And... somehow... the Negative Nancy Boys think this is a bad thing. Apparently, honor and integrity are things of the past with these know-it-alls.

Clueless drones.

...I dont understand why Kornbrath is on scholly if hes not on the team. Im sure there is a reason but it seems illogical

I wonder whether this is roster management at play. Perhaps there's a walk-on who could make a difference but can't participate otherwise. KF is doing his bit to catch up with the Urban and rest of the SEC.

I don't see why the rules would keep him from being eligible next year. He did not red shirt his first year. He played 3 years. Even if his scholarship does not extend to 2016, could he not walk on?
He could if the coaches wanted him too... The guy isn't any good (Kidd isn't either hence why Koehn is even in the mix) and I'm sure the coaches told him somewhere between spring ball and now he wasn't wanted. No team needs 3 punters scholly or no scholly as far as I'm concerned. I'm not sure but I think KF can't kick a kid off the team and yank his scholly without there being a disciplinary reason or grades reason to do so. So he gets to graduate and have a free education for being a crappy punter. Just on a practical premise is there a better gig out there then being a backup punter on a full ride and your last yr you don't have to even show up and be on the team and still have it paid for? Hope he's been taking advantage of it. Only in America.

I thought those scholarship guarantees and four year commitments to kids was part of some plan to make the b1g competitive with the SEC.

I thought those scholarship guarantees and four year commitments to kids was part of some plan to make the b1g competitive with the SEC.

Assuming that there is no chance that we could use CK's scholly for a new recruit for 2015, then I don't have an issue with this. But, I do have an issue with not paring the roster down to 1 scholly punter. How many scholly punters/fg kickers do we have? Is it 3 or 4? Why not take 1 or 2 tries at a rb/wr/qb/de player?

Latest posts