Welp...we're officially on O$U's radar

IMO it was way beyond that. There was a conscience decision NOT to try to the win the game because "Vandenberg" was a "new" starter. BS. He played well enough to keep us in the game. And if he had thrown an INT at the end, who cares. Tressel-ball would have prevailed anyway.

Remember, we were down by 14. Then DJK returned a KO for about 98+ yards, then McNutt scorched his guy for a TD late in the 4th. The Shoe was quiet and the momentum had clearly switched to Iowa.

It was a chicken-shit decision. Then and now.
That was an upsetting move by Kirk but I could understand it, but having the Mo I think we should have at least tried. I think Kirk had a lot of faith that our defense and kicking game would win it in OT, as fortune would show our offense was terrible and cost us the game.

Not to run over a flat cat, but, you play for OT at home, you play for the win on the road.

We let O$U off the hook, and 108K knew it.

IMO it was way beyond that. There was a conscience decision NOT to try to the win the game because "Vandenberg" was a "new" starter. BS. He played well enough to keep us in the game. And if he had thrown an INT at the end, who cares. Tressel-ball would have prevailed anyway.

Remember, we were down by 14. Then DJK returned a KO for about 98+ yards, then McNutt scorched his guy for a TD late in the 4th. The Shoe was quiet and the momentum had clearly switched to Iowa.

It was a chicken-shit decision. Then and now.
Amen a freaking men to every word of this. I mean first of all JV had been playing good ball. Babying him shouldn't have been a strategy. We had a shot a real legit shot at winning that game and the coaches decided they didn't want to try and just hope OSU would lose it.

That playing not to lose crap doesn't impose a lick of confidence into your guys and why should it? Go out with your boots on for peats sake

Amen a freaking men to every word of this. I mean first of all JV had been playing good ball. Babying him shouldn't have been a strategy. We had a shot a real legit shot at winning that game and the coaches decided they didn't want to try and just hope OSU would lose it.

That playing not to lose crap doesn't impose a lick of confidence into your guys and why should it? Go out with your boots on for peats sake

Moronic take. Say we throw a pick 6. Then we lose by 7 instead of losing by 3 in OT. It was the right call.

Moronic take. Say we throw a pick 6. Then we lose by 7 instead of losing by 3 in OT. It was the right call.
What if he drives down the field and wins the game in regulation? It was more of a possibility then him throwing a pick 6 would be. Play to win especially on the road not to go to OT.

What if he drives down the field and wins the game in regulation? It was more of a possibility then him throwing a pick 6 would be. Play to win especially on the road not to go to OT.

Okay, so say we march down the field and win the game. Then we play Oregon in the Rose Bowl. I don't like that matchup, particularly given our horrific showings in Rose Bowls the past 40-ish years. The Georgia Tech Orange Bowl was a great game. Everything worked out.

Okay, so say we march down the field and win the game. Then we play Oregon in the Rose Bowl. I don't like that matchup, particularly given our horrific showings in Rose Bowls the past 40-ish years. The Georgia Tech Orange Bowl was a great game. Everything worked out.
You might be the only person I know that'd turn down a trip to the Rose Bowl...

I've known barrister Jeff for 15+ years, harkening back to the days when he was BTR, hung with Happy Chef and drank *only* non-union Coors. A rock star among Ron's tailgates for sure.

"Sarcasm" is his middle name :)

Last edited:
You can't look at the decision retrospectively to determine whether it was the right call.

It was the wrong decision because we had a better chance of scoring, than of turning the ball over and being scored on. Not because we ended up losing in OT. What happened subsequently has no bearing on whether it was the right call at the moment.

And I don't think it was as egregious as the rap it gets. Vandenberg was playing alright for his first start but he still had three 3 interceptions, and should've thrown a fourth on our game-tying drive but got a lucky bounce that Moeaki was able to pluck out of the air. The risk of losing the game by going for it was not negligible. Again, still agree it was the wrong call on the whole, but it simply was not as bad as some make it out to be.