Well shit, Lurch is coming back

Seth53

Lurch, er....Zach Edey has announced he's coming back to Purdue.
More B1G hoops headaches.

But then again, Fairleigh Dickinson ain't impressed. ;)

No surprise dude isn't a starting NBA level player. Maybe 25 yrs ago during Yao Mings time but not now. He'd probably be a 20 mins a game guy or less now just depending on matchups. May as well stay in school and make more NIL $

I assume he will make Hunter Dickinson type money for coming back. I don't think anyone projected him as a first rounder, but he would probably be drafted and bounce around like Garza. But, maybe he would never make it out of the G league, so college is much more lucrative. Smart move financially.

Plus, like when Garza came back, would you rather be THE story in college hoops for the season, on ESPN, playing on national TV, talked about on sports radio, etc.; or a nobody playing in front of nobody in Vegas? Anyone who is solidly projected outside the first round is going to be better off in college as the systems are currently set. Football is obviously a different story given injury and opportunity.

I assume he will make Hunter Dickinson type money for coming back. I don't think anyone projected him as a first rounder, but he would probably be drafted and bounce around like Garza. But, maybe he would never make it out of the G league, so college is much more lucrative. Smart move financially.

Plus, like when Garza came back, would you rather be THE story in college hoops for the season, on ESPN, playing on national TV, talked about on sports radio, etc.; or a nobody playing in front of nobody in Vegas? Anyone who is solidly projected outside the first round is going to be better off in college as the systems are currently set. Football is obviously a different story given injury and opportunity.
That has to be such a shock to guys like that... You're not just BMOC but nationally and then yeah playing in empty arenas. It'd be like going back to HS for some of them but heck a lot of them mighta had larger HS crowds then what the G league often gets.

No surprise dude isn't a starting NBA level player. Maybe 25 yrs ago during Yao Mings time but not now. He'd probably be a 20 mins a game guy or less now just depending on matchups. May as well stay in school and make more NIL $

Yep, he has the Big Man Syndrome and prob found out he is pretty one-dimensional in the league and a liability on D in today's game. There is a certain personnel for today's game.

Yep, he has the Big Man Syndrome and prob found out he is pretty one-dimensional in the league and a liability on D in today's game. There is a certain personnel for today's game.
I do think he'll be in the league though. There's guys like Cody Zeller and Kaminsky taking up roster spots in the NBA all over not doing much yet cashing checks. Edey will certainly get that chance for awhile. But there's no way he'll be a 30 plus min guy I just don't see it.

I do think he'll be in the league though. There's guys like Cody Zeller and Kaminsky taking up roster spots in the NBA all over not doing much yet cashing checks. Edey will certainly get that chance for awhile. But there's no way he'll be a 30 plus min guy I just don't see it.
I don't think I'd even compare him to Zeller or Kaminsky, he's got 5" and 60 lbs on both of them and he can't move. The only place there ever was in the NBA was back pre-2000s when they still played basketball within 10' of the rim. Edey isn't going to play in the bigs IMO.

I don't think I'd even compare him to Zeller or Kaminsky, he's got 5" and 60 lbs on both of them and he can't move. The only place there ever was in the NBA was back pre-2000s when they still played basketball within 10' of the rim. Edey isn't going to play in the bigs IMO.
I just threw out their names as backup bigs in the NBA playing 15ish mins a game. (which is more then Garza has gotten the chance to do and it blows my mind) I don't think Edey is capable of doing anything more then that really. So long as he's good with not making a zillion dollars and having that type of role I think he could have a job in the NBA for awhile. However there's more $ and playing time over seas for him if he wants it.

Zeller has gotten minutes in the postseason and will get a ring if Miami outlasts Denver.

Yeah, I'm not sure there is a place for him in the league. If you watch Garza, he's worked incredibly hard to transform his body and game since college, and he plays amazingly hard every second on the court. I don't think 99% of borderline NBA guys have the sheer will and effort to accomplish what Garza has since college.

He almost appears to be playing twice as fast as he did at Iowa. He's incredibly skilled compared to Edey. He's also so much quicker. And Garza is hanging on by a fingernail when it comes to playing fast enough to be in the NBA. Can't see Edey making a roster.

I know this is unlikely, but at some point the NBA is not going to be equipped to defend a giant post scorer like Edey because all of the "centers" in the league (except Jokic) are skinny point centers. If Edey had Garza's touch and post moves, at his size, he could be pretty lethal on the block and a rim protector on D.

I know that the game has completely evolved to the 3 ball and pick and roll, and Edey is not equipped to do that, but at some point having a giant post player who can score on the block at will has to be an asset. I just don't think Edey is good enough offensively to be that guy.

I bet somebody takes a flier in the second round, but likely he is Europe bound.

giphy.gif

Yes....Eddy...I'm back to avenge our 1st round loss as a 1 seed.

Latest posts