Well Lester failed test number 1

They didn't even bother to change the weights. Hill is a turnover machine so that's got to make KF furious. After watching TL's Western Michigan, it doesn't look like Hill has any of the skills to make an immediate read followed by a good throw, or the infantry skills to recognize and gain yards from a break down in what is hopefully a much thinner stretched defense.

Like many KF spring rosters, this one is not very definitive. As a caveat-I will be very disappointed if Deacon Hill is on the field. Run those other guys out there like going over the top at Somme before Deacon plays.​

I think Lester would really do himself a solid if he could coach up Lainez or Resar... Those two have wheels for legs. If he could get either one of them to be a decent QB at making reads and just hitting the makeable plays and then use their legs that'd be a huge improvement just right there. And yes they need 1 receiver to really step up. 2 would be great and 3 ideal but just 1 for starters would be so damn nice
.......... and the thing is, in the past, any QB they threw out there in the Iowa system performed similarly. Pretty much the same outcomes as far as scores and wins. So, why not go with the more athletic player with more leg. I mean.......duh.

But, if this is a true read system, it's really imperative putting the QB out there who can make quick reads and throw. Making the correct read at the line and getting the ball out quick is a key in what I think Lester wants to run. Having a QB who can run on occasion will be a benefit but not a necessity.

One advantage I think with this system if Lester can run what he wants is that the opposing D and LB'ers just can't pin their ears back and T off on our slow unathletic QB's. The scheme will make the defenders have to honor the quick reads and certain flats so they can't just tee off up field.

Last edited:
I know we are already over the scholarship limit, but it seems like we should have put some serious work into getting Chubba Purdy out of the portal. Against us (back breaking interception not withstanding) he looked better than any QB we have trotted out since Stanley. We had to have more to offer than Nevada. Who knows, maybe he just wanted to get closer to home?

.......... and the thing is, in the past, any QB they threw out there in the Iowa system performed similarly. Pretty much the same outcomes as far as scores and wins. So, why not go with the more athletic player with more leg. I mean.......duh.

But, if this is a true read system, it's really imperative putting the QB out there who can make quick reads and throw. Making the correct read at the line and getting the ball out quick is a key in what I think Lester wants to run. Having a QB who can run on occasion will be a benefit but not a necessity.

One advantage I think with this system if Lester can run what he wants is that the opposing D and LB'ers just can't pin their ears back and T off on our slow unathletic QB's. The scheme will make the defenders have to honor the quick reads and certain flats so they can't just tee off up field.
Agree with every word you said here but especially this for the sake of the O. If you know the Oline can't slow anyone down and you're qbs can't move you can't call 5 and 7 step drop back plays that take 2.5 seconds plus to develop. This type of O should definitely help in that regard. Will we be any good at it? Heck if I know but it'll be different and at least if we are bad at it it'll be a different kind of bad

Agree with every word you said here but especially this for the sake of the O. If you know the Oline can't slow anyone down and you're qbs can't move you can't call 5 and 7 step drop back plays that take 2.5 seconds plus to develop. This type of O should definitely help in that regard. Will we be any good at it? Heck if I know but it'll be different and at least if we are bad at it it'll be a different kind of bad

Yea, we ain't gunna get any worse. Might as well try it.

I know we are already over the scholarship limit, but it seems like we should have put some serious work into getting Chubba Purdy out of the portal. Against us (back breaking interception not withstanding) he looked better than any QB we have trotted out since Stanley. We had to have more to offer than Nevada. Who knows, maybe he just wanted to get closer to home?
There's prob a really good chance he wasn't interested in coming to Iowa, but, we will never know.

They better get this chit figured out fast and Iowa in the 80 and better range for offense or Iowa is going to really have a hard time getting any QB's or WR's that are decent out of the portal. Another chitty season will not help.

Hill is a turnover machine so that's got to make KF furious.​
For good reason.

It’s not stressed enough, imo.

T/O margin is by orders of magnitude the most reliable predictor of football win/loss that anyone’s ever found. There have been academic papers done on it.

If you throw 2 INTs and your opponent throws 1, there’s an over 70% probability you’re going to lose.

I seriously wonder how that happened and why they don't fix it. Not really any reason for a 6'2" QB to weigh 260. If they can take a skinny freshman Ike Boettger and turn him into an NFL size O-lineman they can do the reverse on the Pillsbury Throwboy in 5 months easy peasy.
Truth. Dude needs to get down to the Iowa wrestling room and learn what a REAL workout is like. Ben Kueter went down to the room after the end of the football season, and it took him over a month to even BEGIN to get into serious shape.

Truth. Dude needs to get down to the Iowa wrestling room and learn what a REAL workout is like. Ben Kueter went down to the room after the end of the football season, and it took him over a month to even BEGIN to get into serious shape.
No doubt. In todays game there's zero excuse to have someone that morbidly out of shape playing QB at the D1 level. We need to have better standards. They don't have to be RG3 level athletic but for crying out loud Hill is embarrassing.

I'll give Lester a fair shot. But if Hill is taking snaps for this team over Lainez, Resar or anyone they could maybe bring in from the portal once it opens up again then I'm just out. Hill isn't a D1 qb. He's just not. It's bad enough he's taking up a scholly this yr again. To have him taking snaps over others is inexcusable.

Saw Chad Leistikow put out spring depth chart. Lester has Hill #2 behind Cade and still ahead of Lainez. So as far as I'm concerned bring back Brian wtf are we even doing? Hill should be buried so far down on the depth chart he never has a chance to see the field again. If he's still behind Hill then Lainez must not be able to throw at all and shouldn't be on scholarship either.

I just can't do it. If Hill ends up playing qb again this yr I'm out. Now that the hoops season is winding down (I'm locked in till women are done) it's damn near football season but I can't do another yr of Hill trying to run any kind of zone read or any kind of O.

Well hopefully Cade perseveres and we don’t see Hill. Hopefully
Saw Chad Leistikow put out spring depth chart. Lester has Hill #2 behind Cade and still ahead of Lainez. So as far as I'm concerned bring back Brian wtf are we even doing? Hill should be buried so far down on the depth chart he never has a chance to see the field again. If he's still behind Hill then Lainez must not be able to throw at all and shouldn't be on scholarship either.

I just can't do it. If Hill ends up playing qb again this yr I'm out. Now that the hoops season is winding down (I'm locked in till women are done) it's damn near football season but I can't do another yr of Hill trying to run any kind of zone read or any kind of O.

Hopefully Cade perseveres and we don’t need to go to the number two QB. Idealistically Lainez comes around and we get to see a QB who can throw the ball and run. That kid has great elusive skills. Not even Banks had those kind of moves.

For good reason.

It’s not stressed enough, imo.

T/O margin is by orders of magnitude the most reliable predictor of football win/loss that anyone’s ever found. There have been academic papers done on it.

If you throw 2 INTs and your opponent throws 1, there’s an over 70% probability you’re going to lose.
Long ago in Pro Football Weekly there was an article about chances of winning if a team blocks a punt.

That ship has sailed.

Lainez should be QB1, McNamara QB2, and Hill persona non grata
This. Kirk probably likes Hill's demeanor or maturity or grasp of the offense (not the ball) ;)

It's Kirk. It's always been Kirk. Lester is only going to do what Kirk allows him to.

Latest posts