Well......I saved myself thousands of dollars

I went to Indy and had a great time. I went with 3 friends and met my son and his friends. I have been to several bowl games and I am not sure anything beat the Indy experience. Tossed around going to Rose Bowl. If one of my two adult children could have went I would have but they couldn't. The last Outback bowl was the first bowl game my wife and I attended without our whole family and something was missing. Plus we had just spent 10 days in Florida watching Hawk basketball. I do not regret not going to Rose Bowl, but am happy people who did enjoyed themselves. Bowl games have been some of the best times our family has had.

Last edited:
This. I mean, some of you people should just lock yourselves in a padded room with your hi-def TV's and call it a life. What can you go out and experience in person that you can't watch on TV? Plus, if you don't like the way it makes you feel, you can just turn it off and stare at the wall for a while.

God willing, I'll always have great memories of hanging out in L.A. with my wife and some good friends for a few days. We saw some cool sights, ate some good food, drank some tasty beverages, enjoyed the great weather, had a great tailgate and watched/cheered on the Hawks down to the final buzzer inside of what IMHO is THE most iconic and picturesque college football venue in the world. Yeah, if I'm lucky enough to make it to be old and gray, I'm really gonna regret that decision. Why have memories when I could have a few more crusty dollars in my bank account?

Get a grip folks...you ain't takin' that cash with you, and the Hawks aren't going to reward your "investment" with a victory every single time. This was a team that deserved the support of the fans for the great season they gave us, and this bowl trip was an unforgettable experience. By all means, save your pennies if that's what makes you happy, but you might want to at least consider getting out of the house for a change. Sit on your couches and drink your own beers...hell, don't cost nothin'...but, don't get on your high horses and act like the rest of us made a stupid decision by choosing to go on a vacation and attend the Rose Bowl where your Iowa Hawkeyes were playing for the first time in a quarter of a century.

Well said. This was a vacation for me, one spent with friends, and it was well worth the money. The wife is great, and let me take the trip without her, as she didn't want to go. These were the type of trips I took all the time in one form or another before marriage and a child. We would go on golf trips, baseball spring training trips, bowl game trips, Hawkeye games, Cubs games, etc. There is no such thing as "ROI" on a vacation or a trip. They always cost money, and they will never ever return anything but memories, be it a trip to Jamaica or a trip to the Rose Bowl.

I don't understand why hawk fans are critical of other hawk fans making trip to Rose Bowl. Would it have been better if all hawk fans stayed at home?

I went with hawkeye nation trip, best $ I have spent for a long time. The outcome of the game was out of our control, but the memories of spending 4 days in Southern California will never leave.

Me and my family took a vacation over Christmas. Lots of memories made, don't worry. You guys act like the only option to not going to Pasadena is hiding under your bed covers. My family vacation was the week before.
........so, I saved thousands.

I don't understand why hawk fans are critical of other hawk fans making trip to Rose Bowl. Would it have been better if all hawk fans stayed at home?

I went with hawkeye nation trip, best $ I have spent for a long time. The outcome of the game was out of our control, but the memories of spending 4 days in Southern California will never leave.
Who's criticizing the people that went? I simply stated that I saved thousands because none of my Hawkeye friends wanted or could go. And in hind sight, I'm glad.

Me and my family took a vacation over Christmas. Lots of memories made, don't worry. You guys act like the only option to not going to Pasadena is hiding under your bed covers. My family vacation was the week before.
........so, I saved thousands.

I didn't go on vacation for Christmas.......so, I saved thousands. Lots of memories made, don't worry. With the money I saved there, I went to the Rose Bowl instead of hiding under my bed covers. I am also not going on vacation this week, so once again I am saving thousands this week. :eek:

There just trying to justify why they didn't go to make them feel better.We all have good memories of our trip and hopefully we'll go somewhere warm again.Go Hawks

1000s of dollars? i bought 3 tickets in section 17 about half way up - 20 yard line or so on iowa side - $100/ticket about 2-3 hours before kickoff. had an amazing time out there. Rose parade is spectacular in person. USS Iowa, could go on and on. ran into so many people who spent $800/$900+ per ticket. All kind of inexpensive tickets on the ground out there. One guy offered me 2 for 1, but needed 3 seats, not 2. Rented a car, airbnb sleeping arrangements, etc. it can be done outside of a 'travel package'....

Overpaid for my ticket? check
Hawks got rolled? check
Hawk fans cheering til the bitter end? check
Enjoyed beautiful weather after leaving miserable weather behind? check
Got to play golf on some beautiful courses (in December)? check
Saw guys who I hadn't seen in years and we laughed our azzes off? check
Worth every penny? double check

If the value of a trip is wholly dependent on the outcome of a bowl game, then you're wise to not go.

Hawks got rolled? check

If the value of a trip is wholly dependent on the outcome of a bowl game, then you're wise to not go.

Nutshell!

Hawks got rolled? check

Bingo!!!

Loved every second of my father/son trip. Memories that will take me to my grave:) Feel a little sorry for those who didn't get to go and have to make an excuse of how much money they saved. I'd do it all over again even if I knew the exact same outcome for double what I spent!!!

I'm sad for some of you. The only father/son time you get is once a year? You don't take the time to make memories with your kids on a daily or even weekly basis?
Sounds like some of you need to get your priorities straight. Maybe in 2016 you will find more time for your children.

I'm sad for some of you. The only father/son time you get is once a year? You don't take the time to make memories with your kids on a daily or even weekly basis?
Sounds like some of you need to get your priorities straight. Maybe in 2016 you will find more time for your children.

Seriously, you are something else. I spend more time with my kids than you could even imagine. This was one on one with my son at the Grand Daddy of them all. Too bad you'll never understand that feeling. I'm sad you couldn't afford to go.

The Big Ten Championship game was pretty awesome. Not to expensive and an awesome experience. That is one game I will never miss in the future if Iowa goes

Seriously, you are something else. I spend more time with my kids than you could even imagine. This was one on one with my son at the Grand Daddy of them all. Too bad you'll never understand that feeling. I'm sad you couldn't afford to go.
How do you know I was talking about you? Methinks you doth protest too much. Time to examine your conscience if a random comment hit that close to home.

I think he was just pimping you. Sort of Stanford band-like, with the same level of originality.

i have a bunch of kids and spend more time with them than most. going to the rose bowl/rose parade/uss iowa, et al (with iowa playing in the game and the iowa band in the parade) is a once in a lifetime experience, perhaps. that being said, i did not go to the game with my kids, rather, my wife. i spent wayyyyyy less than most here, i know that for a fact. the few days out there with my wife - that stuff can't be replicated. i said to many people i came into contact with - "hey, your at the rose bowl........and IOWA is playing in it".....win/lose/draw, after it was all said and done, i'm very, very glad i went.

Latest posts