Weisman Vs. Coker

MW looked as he got better as the game progressed. He got nicked up at the end, but Spartys defense will feel it Sunday because he beat on them too.

I have to hand it to Weisman. He got a wake up call to B10 football yesterday...a test if you will...and passed with flying colors. That is the best defense he will face all year and he stuck with it...handled the physical pounding and had something left in the fourth quarter. For a guys with essentially 3.5 games of experience...that was impressive. Our offensive line and Weisman kept landing body blows the whole game...and that allowed that 4th quarter drive. MSU was worn down and the pursuit wasn't as eager to run to the ball.

That being said, the play where Weisman got rolled by the LB on the Vandy sack...holy crap...that was a "Welcome to Big Time Football" if I have ever seen one. The fact that he got up...and delivered was very telling. Tough kid.

MW looked as he got better as the game progressed. He got nicked up at the end, but Spartys defense will feel it Sunday because he beat on them too.

My "fear" was that we would bust out of the gate with a quick score then fade from there. I knew that if MSU went after him early, the OL and JVB and MW would find the crack and eventually get to attacking it.

I have to hand it to Weisman. He got a wake up call to B10 football yesterday...a test if you will...and passed with flying colors. That is the best defense he will face all year and he stuck with it...handled the physical pounding and had something left in the fourth quarter. For a guys with essentially 3.5 games of experience...that was impressive. Our offensive line and Weisman kept landing body blows the whole game...and that allowed that 4th quarter drive. MSU was worn down and the pursuit wasn't as eager to run to the ball.

That being said, the play where Weisman got rolled by the LB on the Vandy sack...holy crap...that was a "Welcome to Big Time Football" if I have ever seen one. The fact that he got up...and delivered was very telling. Tough kid.
Actually, it was MSUs over-pursuit that JVB, the OL and MW exploited. He had been choosing the outside cut for the first half and most of the 3rd quarter. When MSU overplayed it, the cut-back lane was there.

On the last TD, going right was brilliant. Don't know if that specific play was called, whether JVB checked to it, or it was a matter of OL and MW "picking" the course of the play, but we had;t run to the right side most of the game. Doing it there was perfect, as evidenced by the relative ease with which MW scored.

Two things:

First, for most of the first half MW was cutting the plays back and not pushing the hole. Opposite of what you said. In the second half, he actually got to his hole and the stretch zone worked.

Second, the TD run was directly over the center's a$$, which is like a 0 or 1 hole run.

Actually, it was MSUs over-pursuit that JVB, the OL and MW exploited. He had been choosing the outside cut for the first half and most of the 3rd quarter. When MSU overplayed it, the cut-back lane was there.

On the last TD, going right was brilliant. Don't know if that specific play was called, whether JVB checked to it, or it was a matter of OL and MW "picking" the course of the play, but we had;t run to the right side most of the game. Doing it there was perfect, as evidenced by the relative ease with which MW scored.

On a side note, Stony Brook rushed for 283 yards against Coastal Carolina and Coker accounted for 64 of them.

Latest posts