Weisman at Fullback?

BillSPrestonEsq

Been a while since I've been on the site so not sure if anyone else has brought this up recently but this year we seem to have the luxury of multiple talented RB's, does anyone think it'd be effective to run multiple RB sets or use Big Mark in the fullback slot? Thinking since he's not that quick to the hole but still a force to stop and a defense would still have to worry about him and another good RB and also the play-action factor. Or would it make sense or perhaps use a 2 split back set with Weisman and another RB and have kind of a dual threat to worry about? You'd have the option to split out one of the RB's (like Bullock) and audible to a single back set and cause more confusion. Just thinking of the best way to use the talent that might be developing in the backfield. Thoughts?

A lot of this has been discussed, kicked around, and talked about. The hawks could have done it alot last year but very small percentage of lead fullback plays. They could do a lot of of this and have rbs swing out to both sides for passes which defenses dont see much, all kinds of stuff.

I have said all along that it might be best for weisman to get back to showing his stuff at fullback.

Been a while since I've been on the site so not sure if anyone else has brought this up recently but this year we seem to have the luxury of multiple talented RB's, does anyone think it'd be effective to run multiple RB sets or use Big Mark in the fullback slot? Thinking since he's not that quick to the hole but still a force to stop and a defense would still have to worry about him and another good RB and also the play-action factor. Or would it make sense or perhaps use a 2 split back set with Weisman and another RB and have kind of a dual threat to worry about? You'd have the option to split out one of the RB's (like Bullock) and audible to a single back set and cause more confusion. Just thinking of the best way to use the talent that might be developing in the backfield. Thoughts?

I don't think "quick to the hole" is a problem with Weisman. Past ten yards downfield is the bigger issue.

I kind of hope we see MW used more at FB. A goal-line situation with Weisman and Daniels could be formidable, assuming the OL and TEs are doing their thing well.

If they put CJ under center they could run the triple option all game...since apparently all of the QB's are throwing ducks for hours during Spring practice

People are calling for split backs all of the time, probably because alot of us ran some version of the wing-T in high school. However, I can't really think of any team in major college FB or the NFL that use such a formation, with the exception of true option teams. Am I missing any obvious ones?

My theory is this: split backs works well in high school because it lends itself to misdirection, which is great at fooling a high school defense where players are mostly trying to watch the ball. As defenses become more sophisticated/mature, they key more off the blocking to take them to the ball carrier. Thus, that RB heading in the other direction to fool the defense is being ignored, and is therefore a waste of a body (this of course does not apply to option teams where each of those RBs is a potential threat to get the ball based upon how the defense reacts). Such actions can catch a defense off-guard every now and again (see the success of the "Wildcat" packages that numerous teams experimented with for a while), but once defenses are coached/reminded to follow the proper keys, the effectiveness of such attacks wanes.

Instead of wasting that man, most teams at the highest levels of FB seem more interested in:

• getting him involved in the blocking as an extra TE
  • putting 2 backs in a straight or offset I, thus giving the FB a better angle of attack and giving the TB a better mesh point to read blocking
  • using that player to stretch the defense horizontally as an extra receiver

Anyone have other theories why we do not see this much?

If you read the transcript of Coach White he comments that Weisman will not practice at FB. Weisman is familiar enough with the FB position that he could be dropped into the position if circumstances arise. I imagine that would be attrition at FB or if either Daniels or Hill become the go-to back.

Bullock is still a third down back and they are trying to figure out how he fits into the scheme of things. He will not be a slot receiver.

White commented that Jordan Canzeri may have the best instincts of the current group of backs and makes better reads. Canzeri is small though and there are some questions about his durability.

As of now there are five backs ready to go, Weisman, Canzeri, Daniels, Bullock and Hill, but no go-to back.

Last edited:
If you read the transcript of Coach White he comments that Weisman will not practice at FB. Weisman is familiar enough with the FB position that he could be dropped into the position if circumstances arise. I imagine that would be attrition at FB or if either Daniels or Hill become the go-to back.

Bullock is still a third down back and they are trying to figure out how he fits into the scheme of things. He will not be a slot receiver.

As of now there is no go-to back.

Thats exactly how I took Whites comments too. I think they'll lighten Weismans load this year as they used the crap out of him the first 5 games last yr. I doubt they'll do that again. (I sure hope not anyway) I hope Canzeri gets the most touches 15ish a game with Weisman and Daniels splitting the rest. I'm not as down on Bullock as some. I don't think he's a WR either. He's a nice insurance policy/3rd down guy. I think they have enough bodies at WR just need 3 or 4 of them to step up.

Bullock was a dependable third down back last season. Better hands than anyone else out of the backfield, and he has improved his pass blocking as well. I think that will be his role on the team.

Ferentz likes the Weisman-like runner as the featured back/tail back. That answers your question. I guess KF doesn't think his OL can open big and consistent enough holes for speedier and more athletic backs to be successful. The fullback and slot receiver get very little work in Ferentz's offense. If a player is asked to play slot receiver, that player will be relegated to less of Ferentz's offense.

Last edited:
Hoping Hill has a chance to show what he can do in game situations. Watched the young man play in H.S. He always seemed to get 30+ carries a game. He had flash and durability at CFHS, no reason he wouldn't as a Hawk.

Hoping Hill has a chance to show what he can do in game situations. Watched the young man play in H.S. He always seemed to get 30+ carries a game. He had flash and durability at CFHS, no reason he wouldn't as a Hawk.

Well Hill was working as the # 1 back in the fall when he got that unlucky injury so he has the ability.

Daniels may prove to be a faster Weisman-type with the power but not quite the moves and extra speed of a shonn green

I don't think "quick to the hole" is a problem with Weisman. Past ten yards downfield is the bigger issue.

Quick to the hole is an issue with Weisman against better defenses. He's not a #1 running back option. If he is, your team needs to recruit better running backs or they are all hurt.

I love the guy and there are carries for him on this team...but he's at best a doubles hitter

After reading the comments by the coaches and observers, it seems the big push this spring is concentrating on getting a respectable passing game. The running game with the three upper classmen and the two fullbacks is as-is, you’re not going to see a lot new. Daniels and Hill are being given ample opportunity to show that they can contribute this fall. Hill by most reports appears to be having a good spring. Daniels has gotten some positive remarks about better blocking skills, but hasn’t really stood out in the running game.

Reason #1 - He didn't see guys lining up against him as big, as strong, as fast or as quick as he will see as a Hawk. I doubt he saw every team with a roster of B1G caliber players in the Mississippi Valley Conference.
Reason #2 - If he carried 30+ times a game, he probably didn't pass block much. Ask any QB how important pass blocking is.
Reason #3 - If he carried 30+ times a game, he probably didn't catch many passes out of the backfield. Again, ask any QB how important that is.

I'm not saying he can't learn these skills. It just isn't something you can watch and immediately do well.

Weisman is the best and most proven option at running back. The offense moves when he is in there. Gives them a legit play action game. JC is also going to see alot of carries. The two together and not going 3, 4, 5 deep is the best bet. No rythem when you go more than 2 deep. Guys need to get in flow of game.

Weisman is the best and most proven option at running back. The offense moves when he is in there. Gives them a legit play action game. JC is also going to see alot of carries. The two together and not going 3, 4, 5 deep is the best bet. No rythem when you go more than 2 deep. Guys need to get in flow of game.

Def some truth to this. The latest group think for HN is to play 37 rbs, one for each type of olay, and scenario that could exist at anytime, any game, any type if weather, etc. Very hard for a back to get any type of flow in a game with this approach. Yeah, it sounds good, and yeah, some degree of it is ok and can work, but the hard part of this is allowing a player to get into a flow, not to mention how very difficult it is for a coach to orchestrate.

Quick to the hole is an issue with Weisman against better defenses. He's not a #1 running back option. If he is, your team needs to recruit better running backs or they are all hurt.

I love the guy and there are carries for him on this team...but he's at best a doubles hitter

That's my biggest argument with Ferentz's approach. Overall I'm a fan. I don't mind his approach to avoiding risk, but sometimes I don't think he takes into account the risk associated with opportunity costs. So a quicker running back might have a higher risk of fumbling the ball or blowing an assignment, but what about the risk of Weisman being limited to 10-20 yards on a carry that another back would have taken 60 yards for a touchdown? Maybe that opportunity comes once or twice a game against an LSU or a Michigan State. Given the passing game hasn't exactly been explosive in recent years, can you risk missing the rare opportunities for a long run?

Does Ferentz consider that a turnover? Shouldn't he?

He is not the best option but he is the most problem at running back. He's terrible against B1G teams.

He is not the best option but he is the most problem at running back. He's terrible against B1G teams.

I'll put a qualifier on that. He's terrible against teams with excellent running defenses. He isn't good while running injured, which has been the case in the second half of both seasons. Last season he was good against Iowa State and Minnesota, than didn't do anything against MSU (hurt himself in the process) and when he recovered not bad against Michigan & Nebraska at the end of the season.

We do play quite a few B1G teams with mediocre run defenses. Aside from Wisconsin does anyone have a really good run defense? Let the young guys get their time in against Northern Iowa and Ball State. Weisman can be inserted if needed. I'd like to see Weisman fresh for the eight game stretch from Iowa State to Illinois.

Last edited:

Latest posts