Weisman at Fullback?

Quick to the hole is an issue with Weisman against better defenses. He's not a #1 running back option. If he is, your team needs to recruit better running backs or they are all hurt.

I love the guy and there are carries for him on this team...but he's at best a doubles hitter

Jon, I distinctly remember you writing that Weisman was as quick as anyone on the time in a 10-yard burst (soon after he became RB). What has changed?

I get that he isn't "fast", but he gets going quickly enough.

That's my biggest argument with Ferentz's approach. Overall I'm a fan. I don't mind his approach to avoiding risk, but sometimes I don't think he takes into account the risk associated with opportunity costs. So a quicker running back might have a higher risk of fumbling the ball or blowing an assignment, but what about the risk of Weisman being limited to 10-20 yards on a carry that another back would have taken 60 yards for a touchdown? Maybe that opportunity comes once or twice a game against an LSU or a Michigan State. Given the passing game hasn't exactly been explosive in recent years, can you risk missing the rare opportunities for a long run?

Does Ferentz consider that a turnover? Shouldn't he?

If missed opportunities for long touchdowns were considered a turnover, Weisman had about 10 of them against Minnesota couple of years ago. He's a great short yardage back and 4th quarter back when we have the lead. We just need to use him properly and I think we will this year. Kirk just needs a little longer than most to make changes. And by a little longer I mean a lot longer.

Latest posts