Weisman and KMM watch

Did you know: Wiseman has played in 20 Big Ten Game and rushed for 100 yards 3 Times Minnesota x2 and Michigan State (2012)..

Did you know: Wiseman has played in 20 Big Ten Game and rushed for 100 yards 3 Times Minnesota x2 and Michigan State (2012)..

2013 was the 4th best year out of KF's 16 years in terms of rushing rank in the Big Ten. Only 2002, 2003 and 2008 were better. That's Shonn Greene and Freddy Russel. It's running back by committee now which is fine.

It's cherry picking to pull out non-conference games. Last year Weisman was getting 30+ carries a game in non-conference and was pretty beat up in the Big Ten. In 2012, he rushed for 100+ against a tough MSU defense but got hurt that game and really wasn't the same the rest of the year. He easily would have gotten 100 yards or more against Indiana and Purdue that year but we had to go with Bullock instead.

Most of Weismans TDs were under 5 yards I bet. Shaw and Banks busted a bunch of longer ones. I'd love to know what the avg distance was of all of theirs... Sure they are different. Doesn't make me like Weisman any less. I'm rooting for him KMM and the team to all play well. Rooting against him in a way to not break a record (not saying any of you are doing that btw) just because you like the older guys is rooting against the team in my opinion.

It wouldn't be impossible for him to get to 33 if they would start feeding him more and if say the offense would get down in the red zone more. He and the team would have to go on a heck of a roll for it to happen but why wouldn't we want to see it? I think that'd be awesome.

Not a darn thing wrong with Weisman being at the top of the TDs list. Not a thing.

Give me a RB who can do this, all day long. It kills defenses:

iowa-bounces-off-tackle-for-touchdown-best-college-football-gifs-2013.gif

The only legit knock against Weisman is that his durability is not that great.

When healthy, he's proven that he's an extremely productive RB. He's the kind of back who wears defenses down and gets more productive as the game wears on. As for his elusiveness, that's simply not his game - but he's faster and shiftier than his size and build would suggest. He doesn't have many 60+ yard carries, but he has a bunch in the 20-40 range.

My gripe is that once Ferentz realized Mark couldn't stay healthy enough to be a 20-25 carries a game back, he basically dropped him all the way down to 'spot duty + goal line' status, which kept him healthier but reduced the ability to wear down a defense and take over late in games.

I'll be rooting for Mark to get the TD record. He's a great Hawk who was a difference-maker at times and deserves it.

As for KMM, other than the flashes of punt return brilliance he had last year, I'd say he's much more "pedestrian" of a player than Weisman is. He's basically a fairly reliable possession receiver who has gotten a lot of playing time all 4 years. He may get the career receptions record, but he barely averages 10 yards a catch - which is really low for a WR.

Stats can often be a bit deceiving and may not tell the whole story as one could have an amazing back who endures a poor or injury riddled offensive line which would obviously impact their individual rushing totals but just for fun, here is how some of the Iowa backs stack up to a few the most recent statistical leaders in the Big Ten.

Shaw + Banks 217 y/g (adjusted)
Weisman + Canzeri 210 y/g (adjusted)

Name Y/A A/G Y/G YRS Adjusted Y/G*
Carlos Hyde 6.2 18.7 117.6 12-13 125.66
Shonn Green 5.9 17.1 101.3 05-08 118.41
Tavian Banks 5.9 12.0 70.9 94-97 118.1
Montee Ball 5.7 23.65 134.0 11-12 113.2
Nick Bell 5.6 8.9 49.9 88-90 112.1
Ameer Abdullah 5.5 18.8 105.6 12-13 112.2
Damian Sims 5.4 7.5 40.6 04-07 108.1
Jordan Canzeri 5.3 6.9 35.7 13-14 105.1
Fred Russell 5.3 12.5 65.7 00-03 105.4
Owen Gill 5.2 10.6 55.3 81-84 104.2
Ronnie Harmon 5.1 9.6 49.4 82-85 102.4
Jermelle Lewis 5.1 9.8 50.0 02-04 102.0
Sedrick Shaw 5.0 18.2 90.3 93-96 99.3
Marcus Coker 5.0 20.8 104.4 10-11 100.4
Le'Veon Bell 4.9 21.1 102.8 11-12 97.4
Rick Bayless 4.9 7.2 35.5 84-87 98.2
Albert Young 4.8 17.8 85.8 04-07 96.4
Ladell Betts 4.4 18.4 81.8 98-01 88.8
Mark Weisman 4.4 12.6 72.5 12-14 105.1
Damon Bullock 3.4 11.8 40.1 12-14 70.0

* = (based on 20 A/G)

This guy knows what's up!! Use facts to back up your points people, or it's just an option on and that's what it will always be.

The only legit knock against Weisman is that his durability is not that great.

When healthy, he's proven that he's an extremely productive RB. He's the kind of back who wears defenses down and gets more productive as the game wears on. As for his elusiveness, that's simply not his game - but he's faster and shiftier than his size and build would suggest. He doesn't have many 60+ yard carries, but he has a bunch in the 20-40 range.

My gripe is that once Ferentz realized Mark couldn't stay healthy enough to be a 20-25 carries a game back, he basically dropped him all the way down to 'spot duty + goal line' status, which kept him healthier but reduced the ability to wear down a defense and take over late in games.

I'll be rooting for Mark to get the TD record. He's a great Hawk who was a difference-maker at times and deserves it.

As for KMM, other than the flashes of punt return brilliance he had last year, I'd say he's much more "pedestrian" of a player than Weisman is. He's basically a fairly reliable possession receiver who has gotten a lot of playing time all 4 years. He may get the career receptions record, but he barely averages 10 yards a catch - which is really low for a WR.

KMM is no DJK, but DJK did show his eye for talent when he said KMM would be huge for Iowa (before anyone knew who KMM was)

Most of Weismans TDs were under 5 yards I bet. Shaw and Banks busted a bunch of longer ones. I'd love to know what the avg distance was of all of theirs... Sure they are different. Doesn't make me like Weisman any less. I'm rooting for him KMM and the team to all play well. Rooting against him in a way to not break a record (not saying any of you are doing that btw) just because you like the older guys is rooting against the team in my opinion.

It wouldn't be impossible for him to get to 33 if they would start feeding him more and if say the offense would get down in the red zone more. He and the team would have to go on a heck of a roll for it to happen but why wouldn't we want to see it? I think that'd be awesome.

2012 TD length:

so 20/26 of Weisman's TDs were 5 yards or less. 13 of those were 1-2 yards.

He's a really, really good goal line/short yardage RB.

Not a darn thing wrong with Weisman being at the top of the TDs list. Not a thing.

Give me a RB who can do this, all day long. It kills defenses:

iowa-bounces-off-tackle-for-touchdown-best-college-football-gifs-2013.gif

Seeing this again over and over on Black Friday is all I want for Christmas.

Love It !

Last edited:
KMM probably will make it unless he gets injured.

Weisman is not so certain even if he stays healthy.

I thought I heard a broadcaster or podcast say that Saturday was the fourth consecutive multiple TD game for the Hebrew Hammer. I don't want to jinx it, but I wouldn't say the record is that far away for Weisman.

It's almost criminal that you call yourself a Hawkeye fan.

Uh oh, here we go. The "you're not a true Hawkeye fan" argument.

So if I say Jake Rudock, nor Nathan Chandler, nor Matt Sherman nor many other Iowa quarterbacks could hold Chuck Long's jockstrap, does that revoke my Iowa Hawkeye fan card, too.

Or because I am a Hawkeye fan, does that allow me the right to have an opinion, even if you don't like it?

2012 TD length:

Thanks for doing the homework assignment. I sure hope Iowa can get inside the 5 yard line more cause if they can clearly he can find pay dirt. I'm still curious about Shaw and Banks and how far theirs were too. Banks broke off a bunch of long ones. Guy was as as fun to watch as there was. Tulsas ex coach still has nightmares of that game.

Banks and DJK would be fine with me right now. That was the question, right?

Uh oh, here we go. The "you're not a true Hawkeye fan" argument.

So if I say Jake Rudock, nor Nathan Chandler, nor Matt Sherman nor many other Iowa quarterbacks could hold Chuck Long's jockstrap, does that revoke my Iowa Hawkeye fan card, too.

Or because I am a Hawkeye fan, does that allow me the right to have an opinion, even if you don't like it?

This is what the butt hurt looks like.

2012 TD length:

Thx for doing the leg work to help prove what many of us already knew. It's neat to see how good Weisman is at sniffing out the goal line. And he's doing it when the opponents know he'll be getting it.

Haters gonna hate.

And those that don't know enough, aren't going to get it.

Welcome to HN. I see you've moved over here from Rob's site.

I'll add that MW and KMM being so close to all time offensive records is part and parcel of Iowa's problems under KF. A FB playing TB and a possession receiver with the most catches. Hmmmmm.....explosive.

Latest posts