Weiskamp 4A scoring record

Outside of Birkenpas and Coughill, any Iowa Mr. Basketball that went to Iowa ended up being pretty decent. A few that went to Kansas or NC as well.

Assuming he's Mr Basketball.

How did he miss out last year? Was he 3rd?
Outside of Karlton Reed and Wade Lookingbill?

Don't know the third, but when Dean Oliver won Mr. Basketball Ricky Davis was runner-up. Also, we had Kirk Hinrich and Nate Collison as co-Mr. Basketball players who both went on to long NBA careers.

Those are both good duos.

That's 3 pretty good players in one class. Anyone know of other classes that had a top 3 like that?

Another one that comes to mind is when Harrison Barnes won it; Doug McDermott had to have been in the mix somewhere, don't you think? Even though they were on the same HS team, they both are in the NBA now.

Another one that comes to mind is when Harrison Barnes won it; Doug McDermott had to have been in the mix somewhere, don't you think? Even though they were on the same HS team, they both are in the NBA now.

Well barnes was the #1 overall recruit in the country. Whats funny is look at this list of top recruits in that grade. Some pretty huge names that Barnes was listed ahead of

https://247sports.com/Season/2010-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

That's more of hindsight thing with McDermott, but still good. Locure isn't ranked high right now anyway so he's kinda a pre emptive hindsight right now.

Collison and Heinrich was the best duo I can remember. I always wondered if Collison would have gone to Iowa or not. That was right in the middle of the Davis/Alford transition....mess. I believe Heinrich was always between Iowa State and Kansas....so f him
Collison didn't like Mr. Davis's substitution pattern. And Williams made an incredible recruiting pitch. We were always losing him to Kansas...unfortunately.

That's 3 pretty good players in one class. Anyone know of other classes that had a top 3 like that?

First year that jumps out as having an elite trio like that is 2002. Jeff Horner, Greg Brunner, and Adam Haluska. All three were among the top 75 or so recruits in the country.

First year that jumps out as having an elite trio like that is 2002. Jeff Horner, Greg Brunner, and Adam Haluska. All three were among the top 75 or so recruits in the country.

I never realized Haluska was in their class. Just didn't make the connection that he was in school for 5 years due to the transfer. Horner win Mr. Basketball I assume?

And McDermott was traded to Dallas yesterday, so Barnes and McDermott are teammates again!

I never realized Haluska was in their class. Just didn't make the connection that he was in school for 5 years due to the transfer. Horner win Mr. Basketball I assume?

Yes, Horner was Mr. Basketball. Ben Jacobsen, who went on to have a great career at UNI, was also in the '02 class. 2002 was a special year for Iowa HAS basketball.

The other year that looking back had three true studs in it--though fewer were aware of the third guy at the time--was the class of 1999. We all remember Heinrich and Collison were in that class, but Pella also had a senior D1 recruit named Kyle Korver.

Yes, Horner was Mr. Basketball. Ben Jacobsen, who went on to have a great career at UNI, was also in the '02 class. 2002 was a special year for Iowa HAS basketball.

The other year that looking back had three true studs in it--though fewer were aware of the third guy at the time--was the class of 1999. We all remember Heinrich and Collison were in that class, but Pella also had a senior D1 recruit named Kyle Korver.

Korver had 30 points last night off the bench for Cavs. I like this thread. Lot of Iowa talent. Hopefully Iowa keeps some of it.

I spent a bit of time looking through the INA all-state archives. Pretty fun trip down memory lane. Two other years jumped out at me as having elite trios akin to 2019's trio.

1997: Dean Oliver, Ricky Davis, and Ryan Sears
2012: Marcus Paige, Adam Woodbury, and Kale Abrahamson

I was part of the INA Mr. Basketball meetings back when I was working at the Iowa City Press-Citizen ('97-'03). The Hinrich-Collison debate was heated. We finally decided to split it for everyone's sanity. In hindsight, it was the right things to do. Glen Worley won it a year later.

Latest posts