Weird recruiting observation RE: Pitt and tOSU

homerHAWKeye777

Aside from Penn State, two of the most successful schools in recruiting OH and PA have been Pitt and tOSU. Right now the Pitt recruiting class is FAR below the level that Wanny had recruited at. Furthermore, with all the $hit hitting the tOSU fan .... the state of Ohio isn't quite as "locked down" as the Buckeye nation usually has it.

Thus, with the above observations made about those program, what implications might that have that may help Iowa?

- The most simple-minded conclusion to draw is that it might give Iowa a slightly better chance when trying to go after guys in those states. This might end up being one of the implications ... however, I don't expect it to be a really significant one. The problem is that a lot of other program have already been "swooping in" and doing as much poaching as they can.

- To me, one of the most significant implications is that that with so many others poaching guys from PA and OH ... all of a sudden there are a good number of guys in other states not getting quite the attention that they'd ordinarily get .... and that then opens the door to a program like Iowa. For example, Michigan and Michigan State among many others have really been hitting Ohio ... whereas Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Maryland, among many others, appear to be having some good luck in PA. I think that that may end end up being a contributing reason for why Iowa ends up having some success recruiting in BOTH the states of Illinois and Michigan this year.

The impact this has on Iowa success recruiting in those areas is very minimal. Iowa might pick up a kid or 2 that they may not have gotten in years past but the biggest winner in Ohio States problems is Michigan. Michigan always recruited Ohio heavily and they are already reaping the benefits of tOSU's problems.

Michigan is getting a lot of Ohio kids, however the only 2 they have gotten that have OSU offers is Stroebel and Kalis. They always get a few kids with OSU offers so basically its status quo as of now.

At this juncture I really don't care about PA and OH kids. We need to keep robbing the state of Illinois blind!

This. Plus any "surplus" of talent suddenly not going to PSU, Pitt or tOSU can look elsewhere closer to home: WVU, Virginia Tech, Maryland, Rutgers, even South Carolina.

Im more surprised how well Iowa is doing in Illinois this year consider both the Illini and ND had decent years last year.

Im more surprised how well Iowa is doing in Illinois this year consider both the Illini and ND had decent years last year.

I agree, and it's great.

If Iowa can "annex" Illinois as its home recruiting ground, things will be good.

It looks like we may be getting 2 out of the top 5 players from that very populated state. There's a bit of a trend going on with Illinois, and it's a great trend.

Edit: We've done "okay" with Illinois linemen over the years :)

Ummm ... have you NOT pieced together that perhaps PART of the reason why Iowa is having success in Illinois is because other teams are placing more emphasis on PA and OH?

Ferentz & Co. have always placed some focus on those geographic pockets where in-state programs are struggling and coaching staffs are feeling varying degrees of heat. IL happens to be in that situation with Zook as of late but in the past it fluctuates and can move........MN, MO, IN, etc......maybe even MD in the last couple years.

I think Iowa employs this strategy as well as anyone.

Impact on Iowa?

1. Michigan will return to prominence and Iowa will have their work cut out for them in getting to the B1G Championship with arguably the two toughest opponents in the B1G UM, and UN, on their side of the division split.

2. The Illinois issue is a good one. More kids from Ohio and Pennsylvania going to UM, might mean more kids from Illinois going to Iowa.

3. Champaign is a long way from a lot of the population of Illinois. Keeping in mind that Iowa plays Northwestern every year, some of these kids will end up playing closer to home, at least every two years, than they would if they went to Illinois. Plus, Michigan State, UM, and Purdue are close. Basically, Iowa has Chicago surrounded with respect to opponents (with the exception of Wisky, but Wisky doesn't play the schools close to Chicago.)

3. Champaign is a long way from a lot of the population of Illinois. Keeping in mind that Iowa plays Northwestern every year, some of these kids will end up playing closer to home, at least every two years, than they would if they went to Illinois. Plus, Michigan State, UM, and Purdue are close. Basically, Iowa has Chicago surrounded with respect to opponents (with the exception of Wisky, but Wisky doesn't play the schools close to Chicago.)

Illinois plays Northwestern every year also.

Yep, just no validity to that comment at all. When you take out PSU and CBus, Illinois plays closer to Chicago.

In the words of Rosanne Rosanna Danna... Nevermind.

Impact on Iowa?

1. Michigan will return to prominence and Iowa will have their work cut out for them in getting to the B1G Championship with arguably the two toughest opponents in the B1G UM, and UN, on their side of the division split.
Words of a wise man.

At this juncture I really don't care about PA and OH kids. We need to keep robbing the state of Illinois blind!

This is far and away one of the most ignorant statements I've ever seen from a Hawkeye fan. Thank God YOU have nothing to do with recruiting. You would turn IU into ISU with that moronic philosophy.

Iowa has never, under KF, limited themselves to one area. Not every player who is a 3☆, 4☆ or 5☆ recruit fits into what KF does at Iowa. Last year alone we picked up players from 12 different states. How good do you think we could be living off the players available in Iowa and Illinois alone?

Back to the OP's question..."what implications might that have that may help Iowa?"

Well so far, its landed us Quinton Alston, who originally committed to Pitt, but decided to leave once their coaching situation hit the fan and came to Iowa. The potential added benefit to this is the recruitment of his former teammate and close friend, ILB Quanzell Lambert.

As for some of the other recruits, we are in a hot competition for the services of Demitrious and Chris Davis out of Youngstown OHIO against Pitt and WVU. The coaching changes at Pitt, and self-imposed sanctions at WVU surely helps us with our recruitment againt these schools.

This is far and away one of the most ignorant statements I've ever seen from a Hawkeye fan. Thank God YOU have nothing to do with recruiting. You would turn IU into ISU with that moronic philosophy.

Iowa has never, under KF, limited themselves to one area. Not every player who is a 3☆, 4☆ or 5☆ recruit fits into what KF does at Iowa. Last year alone we picked up players from 12 different states. How good do you think we could be living off the players available in Iowa and Illinois alone?

Back to the OP's question..."what implications might that have that may help Iowa?"

Well so far, its landed us Quinton Alston, who originally committed to Pitt, but decided to leave once their coaching situation hit the fan and came to Iowa. The potential added benefit to this is the recruitment of his former teammate and close friend, ILB Quanzell Lambert.

As for some of the other recruits, we are in a hot competition for the services of Demitrious and Chris Davis out of Youngstown OHIO against Pitt and WVU. The coaching changes at Pitt, and self-imposed sanctions at WVU surely helps us with our recruitment againt these schools.

It was a commentary on how well we are doing in Illinois this year. Don't ever call me out again, got that?

6 recruits total, 3 from Illinois...1 from Ohio...soon to be 3.

And boy I WILL call you and anybody out, especially when you make as dumb a statement as I have ever seen. You can take your 3600+ posts and shove them, it don't impress me. And just because I don't live on here 24/7 don't mean I won't be back. Be patient.

My suggestion to you is wise up and learn that comments like yours, however you meant them, can have an effect. Though doubtful it maybe.

Last edited:
6 recruits total, 3 from Illinois...1 from Ohio...soon to be 3.

And boy I WILL call you and anybody out, especially when you make as dumb a statement as I have ever seen. You can take your 3600+ posts and shove them, it don't impress me. And just because I don't live on here 24/7 don't mean I won't be back. Be patient.

Three of the top 5 available from Illinois. It was a statement based on how well we are recruiting that state this year. The fact that you come on here and use your first post to call somebody out over nothing tells me your nothing more than a troll or just an ignorant shitnugget looking for attention. Either way it shows a lot.

Latest posts