Weight room?

I

Ian Pike Hammer

Been watchin' the First 4 NCAA and the NIT early games. Seein' alot of hardbodies in basketball uniforms, on alot of teams! I'm pretty sure we have a weight room on campus, my question is: do any of the Iowa players use it?

usa_today_11984176.0.jpg

I know it used to be a thing that coaches didnt want their basketball players lifting weights. I think that mind set has changed and Fran just hasn't caught up.

I think Iowa is pretty good in the strength and conditioning phase - it's all about frame and IMO - Fran seems to like em long and lanky. It's sometimes hard to see the growth - but look at Kriener year one to year 3 - he's put on a ton and as mentioned, Cook is the dictionary definition of "swoll."

I know it used to be a thing that coaches didnt want their basketball players lifting weights. I think that mind set has changed and Fran just hasn't caught up.

That was my excuse to NOT lift weights when I was in HS. "Basketball players are not to lift weights because will throw their shot off". Worked for me.

Been watchin' the First 4 NCAA and the NIT early games. Seein' alot of hardbodies in basketball uniforms, on alot of teams! I'm pretty sure we have a weight room on campus, my question is: do any of the Iowa players use it?

Players haven't used it since the days of Jon Lickliter.

I think Iowa is pretty good in the strength and conditioning phase - it's all about frame and IMO - Fran seems to like em long and lanky. It's sometimes hard to see the growth - but look at Kriener year one to year 3 - he's put on a ton and as mentioned, Cook is the dictionary definition of "swoll."

This. You can only put so much muscle on some guys. Fran likes em tall and lanky... the weight room can only do so much.

The old "it'll throw your shot off" is as outdated as "don't life weights, you'll get slow and bulky" or "when you stop lifting all that muscle turns to fat".

Strength training has come a long way since 1975

I would say at least 5-7 players on the roster would have a hard time benching a 100 pounds. Weight lifting is crucial when it comes to rebounding and using your weight when someones is posting you up or being physical with you to try and go around you.

Fran subscribes to Trump's exercise theory...the body is like a battery and if you work out, you are just using up battery life. Yes...in fact...Trump is our President.

I would say at least 5-7 players on the roster would have a hard time benching a 100 pounds. Weight lifting is crucial when it comes to rebounding and using your weight when someones is posting you up or being physical with you to try and go around you.

Well I'd say it's more like 175 lbs. but point well taken.

Hitting the weight room doesn't remove the kool aid from ones veins. Fran likes the finesse guys and frequently we are seeing that they never fully adjust to absorbing contact.

Irrelevant side note. In HS we prep'd for a game one week against a team with a couple of bruisers in the post. We spent 10 hours driving layups while getting knocked in the process by the big red body pads used in football. The montra was avoid the defenders hands and take the body contact while still getting the ball out of our hand. It worked well in that game so logic suggests this would fix Iowa's problem.