"Weak schedule" yeah right

The problem for Iowa is that SOS is about to take a nose dive. My guess it that it will be in the 60/70 range by the end of the season.

that being said, win and it won't matter

Exactly...and if they don't win out it REALLY won't matter. So just keep taking care of business and let "them" sort it out in the end and deal with that.

Strength of schedule is a myth. The better you are the easier your schedule is and the worse you are your schedule is stronger. Look at the myth that the Big 12 is such a difficult. ISU sucks and can't beat anyone other than Kansas and UNI. Both those teams are ranked over the 100 mark in Sagarin rankings. The clowns have a schedule strength of 10. Baylor who is probably the best team in the Big 12 has a schedule strength of 105.

You could make an argument that Iowa is currently the best team in the BIG.

No other BIG team has victories over 2 different Top 25 opponents on the road.

No other BIG team has victories over 5 Power 5 opponents at this point.

Pitt (5-1) might be ranked this week or next...another Top 25 caliber victory for Iowa.

Iowa's opponents' record at this point is 26-10, better than any of the other "contenders" in the conference.

Iowa's ability to stop the run is at an elite level right now. Defense is solid.

Iowa is the most balanced team in all 3 phases. Special teams are special again.

Iowa has faced 3 of the best defenses in the country and won each game...Pitt, Wisconsin, jNW

Iowa is winning despite a ridiculous amount of injuries...depth is apparently pretty good.

I don't necessarily think that Iowa is the best team. OSU is the best until they lose a game. Michigan State has proven that they belong among the elite over the past few years...including this year.

However, if you were to look at each teams current resume without knowing which team it was, you would probably select Iowa as the top team.

This team needs to get healthy, and continue to improve. The last 5 games are statistically the easiest, and Iowa will be favored in each one with a target on their backs.

Thought I would examine the schedules of OSU MSU and Iowa since there are so many people who are saying Iowa's schedule is weak. I'm using the standard form where you remove the game played between the team and the opponent. Here are the numbers how they currently sit.

OSU Pevious opponents are 23-17 (58%)
OSU Future opponents 23-10 (70%)
OSU current overall opponents 46-27 (63%)

MSU Previous 21-17 (55%)
MSU future 20-13 (60%)
MSU current overall 41-30 (58%)

Iowa Previous 26-10 (72%)
Iowa Future 14-20 (41%)
Iowa current overall 40-30 (57%)

So this basically means nothing. But it does show our schedule to this point the teams we have played on average are stronger then the ones OSU and MSU have played. Keep believing.

pmc, I think the discussion is being framed as: "of the remaining unbeaten teams..." kind of a discussion. Iowa's remaining schedule isn't (shouldn't be) that tough. I don't know how it compares to the other unbeaten teams. Also, since we don't play OSU, UM, MSU or PSU, we're getting dinged for that.

get to 12-0 ... go win in Indy ... you're in as no one way in hell an undefeated confc champ from the Big 10 gets left out this season

In fairness to Iowa getting hammered for their schedule, Ohio State went through it last year as well...the national media has been brainwashed by ESPN for YEARS to poo-poo the conference and it'll take years of fighting back with wins vs the SEC to change that...but bringing in Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh and Michigan State's rise has definitely helped get that started. Now it's up to teams like Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn State and Nebraska to rise up and help out too.

Edit: Northwestern too...if they truly want to be the "Stanford of the Midwest"...
I agree.

get to 12-0 ... go win in Indy ... you're in as no one way in hell an undefeated confc champ from the Big 10 gets left out this season

I wish what you say were true, but I have a feeling we could be left off the dance card even at 13-0...the conversation already excludes an unbeaten osu in several pundit's scenarios (per ESPNU weekend shows).....However in reality, no one really has a good fix on what the committee truly uses since we only have 1 year of precedence to look back on.

I'm on board to being 13-0 conference champions and finding out though.

Look at teams with similar SOS record or worse:

Oregon #39 SOS (4-3)
Michigan #30 SOS (5-2)
Georgia #46 SOS (5-2)
Mississippi #67 SOS (5-2) BTW how is Miss rated above MSU when MSU has a tougher SOS, but it rated BEHIND a 2 loss team???

Wisconsin #87 SOS (5-2)
Mississippis St. #56 SOS (5-2)
Boise St. #59 SOS (5-2)

I could go on and on, those are just notable ones. As the Boat posted, Iowa has the 3rd toughest SOS of the undefeated teams, and it is actually very impressive what Iowa has done to date. Only idiots who don't actually look at anything would spout off the way the national media is doing. If they want to attack the remaining schedule, fine, but to poo poo what they have done to date, it is comical just how ignorant they are.

One last thought. How long can we afford to keep an anchor like ISU on our schedule? If having that putrid team on the schedule keeps us out of the playoffs, I would lobby that we end the series right now and schedule a team that doesn't kill our SOS each and every year.

For God's sake Paul, get that team to play with some pride, win some games, and bring up your profile, so you aren't just an anchor around Iowa's neck.

#2 BAYLOR - has played 3 teams from a Power 5 conference, combined record of 6-11, none ranked

#4 TCU - has played 5 teams from a Power 5 conference, combined record of 15-16, none ranked

#12 IOWA - has played 5 teams from a Power 5 conference, combined record of 21-11, 3 ranked currently or at the time time played

One last thought. How long can we afford to keep an anchor like ISU on our schedule? If having that putrid team on the schedule keeps us out of the playoffs, I would lobby that we end the series right now and schedule a team that doesn't kill our SOS each and every year.

For God's sake Paul, get that team to play with some pride, win some games, and bring up your profile, so you aren't just an anchor around Iowa's neck.

I've been saying this for years that ISU gets more out of playing Iowa than the other way around. I know they are our instate rival but Iowa gets very little out of playing them. If Iowa wins it was because we were suppose to, if Iowa loses then ISU parades it around like they won the NC.

Latest posts