"Weak schedule" yeah right

pmchawk

Thought I would examine the schedules of OSU MSU and Iowa since there are so many people who are saying Iowa's schedule is weak. I'm using the standard form where you remove the game played between the team and the opponent. Here are the numbers how they currently sit.

OSU Pevious opponents are 23-17 (58%)
OSU Future opponents 23-10 (70%)
OSU current overall opponents 46-27 (63%)

MSU Previous 21-17 (55%)
MSU future 20-13 (60%)
MSU current overall 41-30 (58%)

Iowa Previous 26-10 (72%)
Iowa Future 14-20 (41%)
Iowa current overall 40-30 (57%)

So this basically means nothing. But it does show our schedule to this point the teams we have played on average are stronger then the ones OSU and MSU have played. Keep believing.

Well the pundits making that comparison are usually people who look at Iowa not playing Michigan, Michigan State or Ohio State. And again no one ever gives Iowa any credit, nationally anyway.

That's what's dumb is everyone is saying our schedule is so bad and that's why we're undefeated, but our schedule is only weak because of our last 5 games. Our first 7 games are actually pretty tough. It doesn't make sense to belittle being undefeated after 7 games because the last 5 you haven't even played yet suck.

This whole thing pisses me off too but then if you stop to think about it...who really cares. If iowa runs the table they'll make the playoff. If iowa loses one game they'll be in the big ten championship game. If they lose two they should still make it into the championship game.

They control their own destiny regardless of what any talking head says. It's not iowas fault they got the big ten schedule they did

I guess it doesn't matter that Iowa's non conference opponents are doing better despite 1 of them being 0-6.

Don't forget, only FIVE out of 14 BIG teams played TWO Power 5 out-of-conference opponents, with IA being one of them. And looking at other conferences it seems most play just 1, if at all. Pitt is legit. ISU is improved (even should have beaten top 20 Toledo, on the road).

I'm fine with saying a 12-1 Iowa team probably shouldn't make CFP. However 13-0 it really depends on everyone else. I wouldn't even think Iowa fans would make a big deal of it (saying we belong in the conversation), except when people are bashing our schedule to try and influence if we could be in the conversation in the future.

Iowa is not a sexy team. They dont look sexy or win sexy and the talking heads hate that. They hated it in 09 as well. I remember week after week listening to excuse after excuse on why Iowa was winning and how they would finally lose that week. When it didnt happen it was more excuses. This year its more of the same. Its not are fault we dont play Mich, Ohio st or Mich st. Heck, Michigan was a dumpster fire before this year!

The talking heads are foaming at the mouth for Iowa to lose.

Let'em talk. Get healthy, keep improving and gaining depth, keep winning.

Keep a chip on the shoulder.

I hope everyone keeps overlooking us and poopooing our schedule, so long as we keep winning.

We will overlook noone.

Shock the cfb world hawks.

Iowa is not a sexy team. They dont look sexy or win sexy and the talking heads hate that. They hated it in 09 as well. I remember week after week listening to excuse after excuse on why Iowa was winning and how they would finally lose that week. When it didnt happen it was more excuses. This year its more of the same. Its not are fault we dont play Mich, Ohio st or Mich st. Heck, Michigan was a dumpster fire before this year!

The talking heads are foaming at the mouth for Iowa to lose.

Exactly....'they' don't quite know what to do with us. Other than they want us to lose so they don't have to deal with Iowa.

Lots of national prejudice for sure.

It's pathetic! If it was Ohio St that had our schedule, there would be no talk about the schedule. Let the hatters hate! We're 7-0! Go Hawks!

TCU and Baylor both have had easier schedules than Iowa to date. Baylor is playing probably the easiest schedule in the nation, but you don't hear anything at all about those garbage schedules.

If Iowa wins out and ends up in either the CFP or the Rose Bowl then I won't care what they say about the schedule. Sure Iowa avoids MSU, Michigan, and Ohio State but they avoid Iowa as well.

Sagarin schedule ratings today.

Other unbeaten power 5s
TCU: 52
Ohio St: 68
Clemson: 40
Utah: 6
LSU: 28
FSU: 66
OkSt: 62
MichSt: 57
Baylor: 105

Iowa: 36

So Iowa has the 3rd toughest schedule to date amongst the unbeatens.

Myth busted

That's what's dumb is everyone is saying our schedule is so bad and that's why we're undefeated, but our schedule is only weak because of our last 5 games. Our first 7 games are actually pretty tough. It doesn't make sense to belittle being undefeated after 7 games because the last 5 you haven't even played yet suck.

Actually, those upcoming blowouts against inferior competition will impress the committee more than close wins vs. even teams.

In fairness to Iowa getting hammered for their schedule, Ohio State went through it last year as well...the national media has been brainwashed by ESPN for YEARS to poo-poo the conference and it'll take years of fighting back with wins vs the SEC to change that...but bringing in Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh and Michigan State's rise has definitely helped get that started. Now it's up to teams like Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn State and Nebraska to rise up and help out too.

Edit: Northwestern too...if they truly want to be the "Stanford of the Midwest"...

Last edited:
The problem for Iowa is that SOS is about to take a nose dive. My guess it that it will be in the 60/70 range by the end of the season.

that being said, win and it won't matter

Latest posts