We will lose to someone we shouldn't in big 10 play because of 3 pt shooting

Well it is a bad observation because Iowa won't go another game 0-17 from 3. They might go another game without making one but the attempts will be under 10.

The 0-17 part is of course an aberration ..but we've had 5 games where we shot under 25% from 3 pt land. I know we are a better shooting team than that and we can score in so many other ways. There are lots of good things going this year and beyond.

I was just stating that at some point it will probably come back to bite us.

I'm curious to know how many teams can or have shot 0% from 3 and still won (and by a large margin) in the past few years.

Would a team like Illinois or Wisconsin be able to win if they shot 0% from 3?

Ours...not theirs.

0-17 is really really bad....regardless of who you are playing or level of focus.

I think the original premise of this post is sound. Although you could pretty much restate it for every team as "We will lose to a team with lesser talent this year because of our major weakness and the team not playing to its full potential."

Iowa definitely needs to improve its three-point shooting not just this year but into the future, as it is such a pivotal part of the college game. One thing I do like about Coach Fran's style, though, is it is not over-reliant on the three like some teams have become over the years. A win for a Coach Fran team is more about controlling tempo, limiting your turnovers and creating turnovers for them, and getting more rebounds and free throws (attempted/made) then your opponent. If Iowa can do that, and hit their three-pointers, they will conversely have a shot to upset some good teams this Big Ten season.

I would be willing to bet Iowa will beat somebody they shouldn't this year based on really good 3 point shooting!

Agreed.

You will probably never win another game where you go 0-17 from 3 and have 20 turnovers again, let alone win by 30. Coppin State had the cohesiveness of a bunch of guys that had just been gathered up at the Y yesterday.

Agreed.

You will probably never win another game where you go 0-17 from 3 and have 20 turnovers again, let alone win by 30. Coppin State had the cohesiveness of a bunch of guys that had just been gathered up at the Y yesterday.

Fran said he made a concerted effort to up the tempo in this game. So, I think it was set up to be a little sloppy from the get go? I am not too worried about the shooting. They had shot pretty well in recent outings from the 3 point line. I know they have had other clunkers this year as well.

Iowa will likely lose to someone they "shouldn't"(probably on the road but it could happen at home) because that's how college basketball works. It may be because of three point shooting or some other reason, but it will likely happen.

It has been a long time since I have seen an Iowa team that does not rely on the 3 to win games. I agree not to many games you will win shooting 0-17 but Iowa now has many different ways they can score and hen they are hitting the 3's watch out.

Latest posts