We need to come together around here...

CP87

I think we can all agree, Penn State deserves a swift kick to the balls for this:

In short, PSU applied to trademark "For The Kids" in 2019, a slogan that they, and many other institutions, have used as part of its Dance Marathon efforts for over a decade. For years PSU has claimed "For the Kids" and "FTK" cannot be used by other institutions, though it has been used by Iowa's DM (and many others across the conutry) back at least as far as 2008:
1728336832621.png

On the threat of legal action from PSU, Iowa has had to rename the throughstreet running past the Children's Hospital from "For the Kids Way" to "Hawkeye Wave Way." Not a big deal in and of itself, but on principle, this is a total dick move by PSU.

I thought this from PSU's lawyers (in response to a challenge of their trademark request) to be especially rich: “Petitioner Kaylee Tutrow is an individual who appears engaged in a quixotic mission to stop Penn State from maintaining the valuable trademark rights it has built in FOR THE KIDS,” according to its request. “It is frankly bizarre that Ms. Tutrow is choosing to spend her time attacking an organization that raises money for children with cancer.”

More bizarre than the fact that PSU is spending their time and money attacking other institutions that are raising money for children with cancer? Assholes.

Seriously? The school that is most famous for covering up for a pedophile who worked for the school for decades? The same pedophile that used University facilities as part of his plan to lure and sexually molest young boys? They want to trademark the phrase "For the kids" ?

Please tell me you are joking.

I think we can all agree, Penn State deserves a swift kick to the balls for this:

In short, PSU applied to trademark "For The Kids" in 2019, a slogan that they, and many other institutions, have used as part of its Dance Marathon efforts for over a decade. For years PSU has claimed "For the Kids" and "FTK" cannot be used by other institutions, though it has been used by Iowa's DM (and many others across the conutry) back at least as far as 2008:
View attachment 11078

On the threat of legal action from PSU, Iowa has had to rename the throughstreet running past the Children's Hospital from "For the Kids Way" to "Hawkeye Wave Way." Not a big deal in and of itself, but on principle, this is a total dick move by PSU.

I thought this from PSU's lawyers (in response to a challenge of their trademark request) to be especially rich: “Petitioner Kaylee Tutrow is an individual who appears engaged in a quixotic mission to stop Penn State from maintaining the valuable trademark rights it has built in FOR THE KIDS,” according to its request. “It is frankly bizarre that Ms. Tutrow is choosing to spend her time attacking an organization that raises money for children with cancer.”

More bizarre than the fact that PSU is spending their time and money attacking other institutions that are raising money for children with cancer? Assholes.

Evil Bastards are getting payback for the deservedly hostile attention that they received because of:

Jerry Sandusky sexually abusing 10 boys over a 15-year period

Seriously? The school that is most famous for covering up for a pedophile who worked for the school for decades? The same pedophile that used University facilities as part of his plan to lure and sexually molest young boys? They want to trademark the phrase "For the kids" ?

Please tell me you are joking.
Sad.

I remember people here being mad when my buddies and I had JOE KNEW shirts made up for the PSU game a couple years ago.

Lawyers gonna Lawyer... They come up with all kinds of nonsense to try and justify their existence and exorbitant salaries. Pretty sad but it'd take a lot to surprise me anymore.

I remember people here being mad when my buddies and I had JOE KNEW shirts made up for the PSU game a couple years ago.
Even before the story of the red headed assistant came out all I could think was how couldn't Joe have known? Those two went back decades and decades and as out in the open as Sandusky was about being creepy af it just didn't make sense. Joe absofuckinglutely knew for quite a long ass time.

That sort of relationship is why some of the KF/Doyle stuff I found problematic. Those two were connected at the hip for the duration of this program. KF damn well knew about how Doyle was and the stuff that was going on. I don't think KF is a bad guy by any means but he was cool with selling a piece of himself so Doyle could do his thing. And then once the lid was blown off getting rid of him as if he was the only bad apple. Like his kid and himself were squeaky clean... None of it sat well with me.

Lawyers gonna Lawyer... They come up with all kinds of nonsense to try and justify their existence and exorbitant salaries. Pretty sad but it'd take a lot to surprise me anymore.
Um, what does the lawyer have to do with this? Yes, Penn State hired a lawyer to protect a trademark that was granted to it by the federal government. The lawyer did his/her job for his/her client. If lawyers are overpaid, stop hiring lawyers and figure out your own divorce, will, tax lien, car accident, etc. (Lawyer's are people too rant over).

The villain here is the leadership of PSU and its PR department. There was a simple solution here. License your trademark to Iowa for this sole purpose for $1 per year. Iowa's street does not dilute PSU's mark related to dancing fundraisers in anyway. It would be a feel good story of two rival colleges coming together and doing something good in the name of sick kids. No brainer.

Um, what does the lawyer have to do with this? Yes, Penn State hired a lawyer to protect a trademark that was granted to it by the federal government. The lawyer did his/her job for his/her client. If lawyers are overpaid, stop hiring lawyers and figure out your own divorce, will, tax lien, car accident, etc. (Lawyer's are people too rant over).

The villain here is the leadership of PSU and its PR department. There was a simple solution here. License your trademark to Iowa for this sole purpose for $1 per year. Iowa's street does not dilute PSU's mark related to dancing fundraisers in anyway. It would be a feel good story of two rival colleges coming together and doing something good in the name of sick kids. No brainer.
Yeah I never understood that. Lawyers don't do anything unless someone asks them to do something and pays money for it.

Latest posts