We have an overinflated opinion of our program

This may add to the discussion.

Here is a list of the top 20 salaries in the NCAA.
1. John Calipari, Kentucky - $4,000,000
2. Billy Donovan, Florida - $3.000,000
3. Bill Self, Kansas - $3,000,000
4. Thad Matta, Ohio State - $2.500,000
5. Rick Pitino, Louisville - $2,250,000
6. Roy Williams, North Carolina - $2,000,000
7. Rick Barnes, Texas - $2,000,000
8. Sean Miller, Arizona - $2,000,00
9. Tubby Smith, Minnesota - $1.850,000
10. Anthony Grant, Alabama - $1,830,000
11. Tom Izzo, Michigan State - $1,735,000
12. Tony Bennett, Virginia - $1,700,000
13. Jim Calhoun, Connecticut $1,600,000
14. Bruce Pearl, Tennessee - $1,600,000
15. Ben Howland UCLA - $1,500,000
16. Tom Crean, Indiana - $1,480,000
17. Jamie Dixon, Pittsburg - $1,300,000
18. Jay Wright, Villanova - $1,300,000
19. Mike Krzyzewski Duke - 1,200,000
20. Jim Boeheim, Syracuse - $1,000,000
Who the sam hell is Anthony Grant and why is he making 1.8 mil a year?

This is just SALARY....does NOT include the millions they get from endorsements TV/Radio etc....which in most of the coaches cases is a LOT more than they could get if they were the coach at Iowa.

Let's not go back to trying to fool ourselves that money is going to win the day.
Laughable. You really think it's that hard to get endorsements at Iowa after putting together a winning program compared to a place like Oklahoma State or Virginia or Villanova or Marquette or Wisconsin?

Keep pining for Billy Gillespie though. If you're really cool with a guy who drank his way out of coaching, have at it. Really raises your credibility on the coaching search...

Laughable. You really think it's that hard to get endorsements at Iowa after putting together a winning program compared to a place like Oklahoma State or Virginia or Villanova or Marquette or Wisconsin?

Keep pining for Billy Gillespie though. If you're really cool with a guy who drank his way out of coaching, have at it. Really raises your credibility on the coaching search...

Yes I do...Iowa has 2.5M people living in the entire state...and every school you listed has a city that size and can bring 3-4X the endorsement revenue that Iowa can.

Of course that is just economics 101...not anything to do with who I think is a logical option for coach. This wasn't me making a push for Billy G....just pointing out facts that people like to overlook.

Jon's article about his conversation with an anonymous D1 head coach caused me to step back a little and re-evaluate what our program really is. The bottom line is that we all, myself included, have an overinflated opinion of the Hawkeye Basketball program.

Look, I have the same memories everyone else has......Iowa v Georgetown to get to the Final Four, Ronnie Lester, Roy Marble, BJ, Horton, Settles, Gamble's shot at the buzzer to beat Oklahoma, wins against UConn, North Carolina, Duke, etc., upper division finishes, exciting Selection Sundays. I get all that and remember it too. The problem is, no one else outside of this state's boundaries knows or cares. Let me repeat: NO ONE CARES!!

Here's what they do know: No conference title in 30 years. No Final Four in 30 years. No practice facility....in fact we built a boat house for our freaking rowing team before a basketball facility. No fans at the games. Kicked our winningest coach in school history to the curb. Let the next coach leave without a fight to New Mexico where in 3 years he has them as a #3 seed. Fired the next coach in 3 years before even being able to establish his own players in his system. Folks, this is the perception of our program.

So while I'd give my left (or right, but not both) testicle to have Bruce Pearl here, he ain't coming. Neither is Gillespe, Lavin, Few, Drew, Turgeon or any other high major head coach of a currently successful program. Obviously Barta has to make those calls or he's not doing his job, but I really don't think he'll get anywhere with any of them.

So who can we get? Maybe an assistant at a high major program. However, if you were an assistant looking for his first gig, would you start with Iowa? Based on what's happened with the last 3 coaches, I don't know that you'd get someone to do that. Because they know if they fail, which carries a very high possibility because of the recent past, there might not be a second chance....at least for a very long time.

So where does that leave us? Well, I'm of the opinion that Keno Davis is still 5-8 years away from being ready to be HC of this program. However, I'm not going to take the road many of you are taking and just completely shut myself off from this possibility. He has great bloodlines. He has high quality, driven, successful assistants, and he plays a style the majority of this fanbase enjoys. The simple fact is, the pickings are going to be a lot slimmer than what the majority of you think they are going to be. We aren't who we think we are (to borrow a phrase from Denny Green) and I hope we're all prepared for a HUGE letdown.

So Barta shouldn't even try? Just give up? I hope to heck he doesn't have your attitude or Iowa is in trouble. Iowa State hired Johnny Orr. Minnesota hired Tubby Smith.

Let's say Pearl, Drew, Pastner and Barbee are the top candidates. I find it hard to believe...if the right offer is made...that we couldn't hire ONE of those men to coach at Iowa.

If money isn't a problem lets go after Roy Williams, he is an established winner and we all know he can recruit the state of Iowa

Yes I do...Iowa has 2.5M people living in the entire state...and every school you listed has a city that size and can bring 3-4X the endorsement revenue that Iowa can.

Of course that is just economics 101...not anything to do with who I think is a logical option for coach. This wasn't me making a push for Billy G....just pointing out facts that people like to overlook.

You must have had a "C" in econ 101...because every other city that size also has much less demand because there is much more supply. I'm pretty sure supply and demand is econ 101 rite?

How do you think those established coaches became "Established Coaches"?

Lately, they come to Iowa to coach and flop for 3-5 years then move on after learning from their mistakes.

If we have the money to get a proven commodity why would we go for an unkown entity?

You must have had a "C" in econ 101...because every other city that size also has much less demand because there is much more supply. I'm pretty sure supply and demand is econ 101 rite?
:goodposting:
Maybe Herminator missed those days of Econ 101.

Much more supply of what? College basketball coaches looking for endorsement?? Last time I checked, Iowa has two major DI schools, the same as Oklahoma and Wisconsin. So supply is the same...

Thanks for straightening that out....

Much more supply of what? College basketball coaches looking for endorsement?? Last time I checked, Iowa has two major DI schools, the same as Oklahoma and Wisconsin. So supply is the same...

Oklahoma: pro basketball team
Wisconsin: pro basketball team, pro football team, pro baseball team.

There is a bigger pool of "talent" to choose from. In Iowa, the coaches of the major men's college sports is all we have.

Thanks for getting straightened out professor.

Wisconsin has the Milwaukee Bucks and Oklahoma has the Oklahoma City Thunder. HTH.

Wisconsin has the Milwaukee Bucks and Oklahoma has the Oklahoma City Thunder. HTH.

:rolleyes:

Okay guys...you are right, Iowa doesn't have a pro team...but do you really think that Coach K or Roy Williams will make less endorsement money than an Iowa coach b/c there are 10 major colleges in NC or because they have the Charlotte Bobcats? How about Jim Boehim? I mean that's NY....they have endless supply....I'm sure they all stay where they are b/c they know in time they will get a raise in their salary to make up for all their lost endorsements they could be making in a place like Iowa.

Thanks for the laugh...

So Barta shouldn't even try? Just give up? I hope to heck he doesn't have your attitude or Iowa is in trouble. Iowa State hired Johnny Orr. Minnesota hired Tubby Smith.

Let's say Pearl, Drew, Pastner and Barbee are the top candidates. I find it hard to believe...if the right offer is made...that we couldn't hire ONE of those men to coach at Iowa.

If none of those 4 do come to Iowa would you be disappointed?

Orr wanted to get out of the shadow of Michigan football. Tubby was unemployed .

Drew could make a run at a national title next year at Baylor they will
be that good. Will he want to do another rebuild maybe..

Pastner and Barbee are in year 1 of their deals. In the last 10 year or 15 years how many coaches bolted from 1 program to another after being on the job only 1 year. What's his face did it to Tennessee football but he was going back to the only job he really wanted.

Nobody is saying Barta shouldn't try, just hope the board doesn't go into
total meltdown, if nobody from the Jon's top 5 is hired.

Nothing wrong with shooting for the moon, but there is nothing wrong with staying grounded either.

:rolleyes:

Okay guys...you are right, Iowa doesn't have a pro team...but do you really think that Coach K or Roy Williams will make less endorsement money than an Iowa coach b/c there are 10 major colleges in NC or because they have the Charlotte Bobcats? How about Jim Boehim? I mean that's NY....they have endless supply....I'm sure they all stay where they are b/c they know in time they will get a raise in their salary to make up for all their lost endorsements they could be making in a place like Iowa.

Thanks for the laugh...

Ya because the situations of Williams, Coach K or Jim Boeheim are definitely the norm for college basketball coaches...

You must have missed the part where I said that "he has to make those calls or he's not doing his job". Of course he should try. However, those guys are a pipe dream. They really are.

Remember when Notre Dame was trying to hire every big name for football a few years back and had to settle for Weis? They're Notre Dame and all of their money still couldn't convince the big names to come in. And you think Iowa will have that success? Not a chance.

Latest posts