We have an overinflated opinion of our program

Fuzz, I hear you...I am just trying to temper the overexuberance that is the message boards. Iowa is not punishment...but we aren't a place coaches are jumping at the chance to get to. We need someone who has a reason to come and want to rebuild....the money is there to get whoever that person is, but its not the other way around...the money is NOT going to get anyone to come and want to be that person.

If that makes sense.

It make sense, but I like overexuberance. :)

Totally disagree with OP; Others will view our program pretty much as we sell it to them; if we follow your line of thinking, let's just hire anyone who will take the job. The facts you state reflect the lack of success over the last 30 years or so; all of us are aware of the facts; It was posted that Sargin rates it the #10 program of all time.

The key is not the lack of success, but that we love the program in spite of that, and the fact that there is a lot of tradition and potential there; if we are not sold on the potential of the program, we'll not be able to sell it to someone truly capable of leading it, as the last two hires prove. I don't think many Hawk fans have an overinflated view of the program--Hawk fans know the numbers.

I think they are sold on the potential of the program; We don't have Kentucky and Duke tradition to sell them---we have good tradition and good potential---the things that Bruce Pearl talked about on ESPN yesterday. That may or may not get us a major hire, but with some discernment and half a brain in the Hiring chair, it should get us a man that can be sold on it, a man that can consistently win with it.

If Iowa can write the check, it gets them to a level their performance/admin support has not earned. But I totally agree with the sentiment, and I hate that.

Least informed post of the day.....if money talks Kirk Ferentz would have been gone 5 times over.

:confused:

No, I think he was thanking KF for bringing in all the money that makes getting a good hire possible.....however much I might disagree that money will gloss over all the other problems we have in our basketball program.

I think Iowa fans do somewhat overestimate the accomplishments of the past. Look at the Big Ten record for the Armstrong, Marble, Horton group. The best finish was third. Iowa has basically been a middle of the pack team since Lute left.

With that being said, I believe Iowa is an attractive job. Fan interest can be incredible. The job pays well without the pressure associated with similar paying jobs. The facilities are being updated. The media is basically tame.

IMO, Iowa is a very attractive job. Lute showed Iowa could contend year in and year out. Somewhere there is another Lute waiting to be discovered.

So where does that leave us? Well, I'm of the opinion that Keno Davis is still 5-8 years away from being ready to be HC of this program. However, I'm not going to take the road many of you are taking and just completely shut myself off from this possibility. He has great bloodlines. He has high quality, driven, successful assistants, and he plays a style the majority of this fanbase enjoys. The simple fact is, the pickings are going to be a lot slimmer than what the majority of you think they are going to be. We aren't who we think we are (to borrow a phrase from Denny Green) and I hope we're all prepared for a HUGE letdown.

I agree with the opening part of your post, but I think your conclusion is misguided and/or misplaced allegence.

First, it's not like a racehorse. Bloodlines don't make a son of good coach automatically a good coach. Mr. Davis brings a lot to the table as far as help/connections for his son, but if we go the route of Keno, we're doing it more out of our desire to reconnect with Mr. Davis than becasue we are in love with Keno.

Keno is an unproven commodity, very similar to Alford and Lickliter as for as "up and coming coaches". In my opinion we need someone established. Keno isn't.

I agree with the opening part of your post, but I think your conclusion is misguided and/or misplaced allegence.

First, it's not like a racehorse. Bloodlines don't make a son of good coach automatically a good coach. Mr. Davis brings a lot to the table as far as help/connections for his son, but if we go the route of Keno, we're doing it more out of our desire to reconnect with Mr. Davis than becasue we are in love with Keno.

Keno is an unproven commodity, very similar to Alford and Lickliter as for as "up and coming coaches". In my opinion we need someone established. Keno isn't.

How do you think those established coaches became "Established Coaches"?

money talks ... a fat wallet cures a lot of ills (thank you KF)

Yeah ask Notre Dame in their football search about what their fat wallet did for them. They got turned down a few times for the prom before getting Charlie Weis. I know it's not apples to apples but money's not everything and I would venture to say most of these coaches aren't that short sighted to only look at the $$$$. Be interesting to see who we end up with but I would venture to say it will be a combination of money and someone that wants to see Iowa Basketball return. That last part is going to be the challenge for coaches that are in a somewhat secure situation.

Jon's article about his conversation with an anonymous D1 head coach caused me to step back a little and re-evaluate what our program really is. The bottom line is that we all, myself included, have an overinflated opinion of the Hawkeye Basketball program.

Look, I have the same memories everyone else has......Iowa v Georgetown to get to the Final Four, Ronnie Lester, Roy Marble, BJ, Horton, Settles, Gamble's shot at the buzzer to beat Oklahoma, wins against UConn, North Carolina, Duke, etc., upper division finishes, exciting Selection Sundays. I get all that and remember it too. The problem is, no one else outside of this state's boundaries knows or cares. Let me repeat: NO ONE CARES!!

Here's what they do know: No conference title in 30 years. No Final Four in 30 years. No practice facility....in fact we built a boat house for our freaking rowing team before a basketball facility. No fans at the games. Kicked our winningest coach in school history to the curb. Let the next coach leave without a fight to New Mexico where in 3 years he has them as a #3 seed. Fired the next coach in 3 years before even being able to establish his own players in his system. Folks, this is the perception of our program.

So while I'd give my left (or right, but not both) testicle to have Bruce Pearl here, he ain't coming. Neither is Gillespe, Lavin, Few, Drew, Turgeon or any other high major head coach of a currently successful program. Obviously Barta has to make those calls or he's not doing his job, but I really don't think he'll get anywhere with any of them.

So who can we get? Maybe an assistant at a high major program. However, if you were an assistant looking for his first gig, would you start with Iowa? Based on what's happened with the last 3 coaches, I don't know that you'd get someone to do that. Because they know if they fail, which carries a very high possibility because of the recent past, there might not be a second chance....at least for a very long time.

So where does that leave us? Well, I'm of the opinion that Keno Davis is still 5-8 years away from being ready to be HC of this program. However, I'm not going to take the road many of you are taking and just completely shut myself off from this possibility. He has great bloodlines. He has high quality, driven, successful assistants, and he plays a style the majority of this fanbase enjoys. The simple fact is, the pickings are going to be a lot slimmer than what the majority of you think they are going to be. We aren't who we think we are (to borrow a phrase from Denny Green) and I hope we're all prepared for a HUGE letdown.

I'm glad you're not Iowa's AD.

This may add to the discussion.

Here is a list of the top 20 salaries in the NCAA.
1. John Calipari, Kentucky - $4,000,000
2. Billy Donovan, Florida - $3.000,000
3. Bill Self, Kansas - $3,000,000
4. Thad Matta, Ohio State - $2.500,000
5. Rick Pitino, Louisville - $2,250,000
6. Roy Williams, North Carolina - $2,000,000
7. Rick Barnes, Texas - $2,000,000
8. Sean Miller, Arizona - $2,000,00
9. Tubby Smith, Minnesota - $1.850,000
10. Anthony Grant, Alabama - $1,830,000
11. Tom Izzo, Michigan State - $1,735,000
12. Tony Bennett, Virginia - $1,700,000
13. Jim Calhoun, Connecticut $1,600,000
14. Bruce Pearl, Tennessee - $1,600,000
15. Ben Howland UCLA - $1,500,000
16. Tom Crean, Indiana - $1,480,000
17. Jamie Dixon, Pittsburg - $1,300,000
18. Jay Wright, Villanova - $1,300,000
19. Mike Krzyzewski Duke - 1,200,000
20. Jim Boeheim, Syracuse - $1,000,000

If Iowa can write the check, it gets them to a level their performance/admin support has not earned. But I totally agree with the sentiment, and I hate that.

Jon,

I hate it too. It's not something I wanted to write or acknowledge because Iowa Basketball is WHY I became a Hawkeye fan. But I also don't know what good it does to think that we can get a level of coach in here when our recent tradition and administrative support doesn't indicate we can do that.

If there's one time I hope I'm wrong, it's this time.

Dang Coack K and Boeheim down at the bottom...who's their agent???

Yeah, if we're as open to offering $2.5+ million as it appears, I think we'll be able to get a top tier guy.

Iowa got rid of a coach who has some degree of success and has
found a lot more success at his new job.

They gave the next guy only 3 years on the job.

The AD went to the players directly first than proceeded to fire the coach who the AD gave his support to only a month earlier.

Most really good, established coaches the BCS level are already making good $$.

What it comes down to is if Barta can convince the guy he wants,

A) He will get 5 years to turn it around. I assume new coach would want a much larger buyout clause than what Lick got.

B) Barta will not let players dictate how the program is run.

This has nothing to do with $$ and it has nothing to do with fans.
Its about being given time to do the job and be given autonomy over ones own program.

Barta needs to "evaluate" his entire admin staff that has been there longer than dirt. This admin fails MISERABLY in comparison to other major conference admin staffs and what they do to support their programs to make them successful. And i'm not only talking about Rick Klatt.

Yeah, if we're as open to offering $2.5+ million as it appears, I think we'll be able to get a top tier guy.

This is just SALARY....does NOT include the millions they get from endorsements TV/Radio etc....which in most of the coaches cases is a LOT more than they could get if they were the coach at Iowa.

Let's not go back to trying to fool ourselves that money is going to win the day.

This is just SALARY....does NOT include the millions they get from endorsements TV/Radio etc....which in most of the coaches cases is a LOT more than they could get if they were the coach at Iowa.

Let's not go back to trying to fool ourselves that money is going to win the day.

3 DUI'S isn't going to win the day either.

Latest posts