We have an overinflated opinion of our program

Jon's article about his conversation with an anonymous D1 head coach caused me to step back a little and re-evaluate what our program really is. The bottom line is that we all, myself included, have an overinflated opinion of the Hawkeye Basketball program.

Look, I have the same memories everyone else has......Iowa v Georgetown to get to the Final Four, Ronnie Lester, Roy Marble, BJ, Horton, Settles, Gamble's shot at the buzzer to beat Oklahoma, wins against UConn, North Carolina, Duke, etc., upper division finishes, exciting Selection Sundays. I get all that and remember it too. The problem is, no one else outside of this state's boundaries knows or cares. Let me repeat: NO ONE CARES!!

Here's what they do know: No conference title in 30 years. No Final Four in 30 years. No practice facility....in fact we built a boat house for our freaking rowing team before a basketball facility. No fans at the games. Kicked our winningest coach in school history to the curb. Let the next coach leave without a fight to New Mexico where in 3 years he has them as a #3 seed. Fired the next coach in 3 years before even being able to establish his own players in his system. Folks, this is the perception of our program.

So while I'd give my left (or right, but not both) testicle to have Bruce Pearl here, he ain't coming. Neither is Gillespe, Lavin, Few, Drew, Turgeon or any other high major head coach of a currently successful program. Obviously Barta has to make those calls or he's not doing his job, but I really don't think he'll get anywhere with any of them.

So who can we get? Maybe an assistant at a high major program. However, if you were an assistant looking for his first gig, would you start with Iowa? Based on what's happened with the last 3 coaches, I don't know that you'd get someone to do that. Because they know if they fail, which carries a very high possibility because of the recent past, there might not be a second chance....at least for a very long time.

So where does that leave us? Well, I'm of the opinion that Keno Davis is still 5-8 years away from being ready to be HC of this program. However, I'm not going to take the road many of you are taking and just completely shut myself off from this possibility. He has great bloodlines. He has high quality, driven, successful assistants, and he plays a style the majority of this fanbase enjoys. The simple fact is, the pickings are going to be a lot slimmer than what the majority of you think they are going to be. We aren't who we think we are (to borrow a phrase from Denny Green) and I hope we're all prepared for a HUGE letdown.

Last edited:
money talks. If the U is willing/able to pay a nice salary, a good coach could be persuaded to come to Iowa.

Last edited:
For 2 million/year somebody will care. Trust me.

I don't buy it, but we'll see. If Todd Lickliter was the best we could do when we were only 2 years removed from a 2nd place finish in the BT, a BTT title, and a #3 seed, what are the prospects after losing nearly 60 games in the last 3 years?

Rawk makes a very good point, which several others have also made. Outsiders have a much different perspective on our program than we do. I fear that anything outside of Pearl and the other top names will cause a global meltdown on Hawkeye Nation and elsewhere.

As long as the coach plays an up-tempo style of basketball and has some semblance of recruiting skills--given the state of our program--we should all be excited about next year.

Go Hawks!

Nevertheless, I'd like to see if we can hire someone besides one of the university's janitors before shutting down the basketball program.

It was ok till you started talking about Stevie Boy. Then I stopped then I knew you were full of BS!

money talks. If the U if willing/able to pay a nice salary, a good coach could be persuaded to come to Iowa.

RawkHawk makes great points about our program and status in the college basketball nation, yet most of you out there continue to be blinded by the $$. Because if we offer $2M to someone making $500k we are either way overpaying...or that person is getting a similar offer from 2-3 other schools with better pedigree or facilities.

We have always had the money...why don't people understand that?!

RawkHawk makes great points about our program and status in the college basketball nation, yet most of you out there continue to be blinded by the $$. Because if we offer $2M to someone making $500k we are either way overpaying...or that person is getting a similar offer from 2-3 other schools with better pedigree or facilities.

We have always had the money...why don't people understand that?!

How many schools out there have higher revenue than we do who are looking for a new coach this year, and can afford to meat or beat our offer?

I don't buy it, but we'll see. If Todd Lickliter was the best we could do when we were only 2 years removed from a 2nd place finish in the BT, a BTT title, and a #3 seed, what are the prospects after losing nearly 60 games in the last 3 years?

Todd Lickliter was NCOY and widely regarded as a strong hire by Iowa. The 'best we could do' was considered quite good, at the time.

We'll be fine, money talks and the Big Ten is a highly desirable place to coach. Plus we'll have facilities and strength coach that weren't present 3 yrs ago. You can expect Barta will be very open in private about why things didn't work out for TL, and coaches with egos (e.g. all the good ones) will believe they can do better at recruiting and player relationships.

How many schools out there have higher revenue than we do who are looking for a new coach this year, and can afford to meat or beat our offer?

Without looking anything up...my first answer would be LSU...of course this is kind of hard to discuss when most schools may not have fired there coach yet...

First of all, you people are bumming me out.
Second, I'm not suggesting we pay 2 million to (insert any mid major coach's name here).
Third, you make it out like coaching at Iowa would be a punishment.

I keep hearing that money's not an object when it comes to hiring a coach this time, if that's the case, we'll do just fine.

First of all, you people are bumming me out.
Second, I'm not suggesting we pay 2 million to (insert any mid major coach's name here).
Third, you make it out like coaching at Iowa would be a punishment.

I keep hearing that money's not an object when it comes to hiring a coach this time, if that's the case, we'll do just fine.

Fuzz, I hear you...I am just trying to temper the overexuberance that is the message boards. Iowa is not punishment...but we aren't a place coaches are jumping at the chance to get to. We need someone who has a reason to come and want to rebuild....the money is there to get whoever that person is, but its not the other way around...the money is NOT going to get anyone to come and want to be that person.

If that makes sense.

Without looking anything up...my first answer would be LSU...of course this is kind of hard to discuss when most schools may not have fired there coach yet...

Has LSU fired their coach? They just hired Trent Johnson two years ago, I don't think they'll give up on him after only two seasons.

Latest posts