We Have A Winner!

Northside Hawk

In what is becoming an increasingly competitive field, Memphis State University has moved to the front of the line for most obnoxious basketball court. It is supposed to be tiger stripes but looks instead like a rippling backyard swimming pool. If you put a diving board behind the scorers table I swear someone could do a cannonball and flood the first ten rows. You swear you're watching Finding Nemo instead of a basketball game.

Worst courts from a visual perspective in the B1G are probably Northwestern's purple pain and Minnesota's bleach job. But they don't come close to Memphis State. That court looks like a reject from "The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh".

Imagine if Bill Walton ever did a game there. He wouldn't need canibas to get high.

r-lee-ermey-as-gunnery-sergeant-hartman-art.jpg

So ugly it could be a modern art master piece.

Other arena oddities from years gone by:

North Carolina, when they played at Carmichael Auditorium, used to have a table on the endline where two students would manually keep score and manually count the clock down in one minute increments. It was like watching people keep score at a 13-U club volleyball tournament.

Notre Dame's Joyce Center used to have a mini tower at the scorers table with numbers one through five aligned vertically. A number would light up when a player committed a foul. The possession arrow sat stop the tower.

Syracuse Carrier Dome used to have male cheerleaders run up and down behind the benches as the team was coming up the floor. Indiana used to have their cheerleaders stationed in similar spots, with huge megaphones. They would also use a drumbeat/bass guitar riff during live action which I believe has since been banned.

Houston during the Phi Slamma Jama era would wear even numbered jerseys at home and odd ones on the road, the way Iowa high school teams used to.(Get your signals crossed and it could lead to mass technical fouls)

North Carolina, when they played at Carmichael Auditorium, used to have a table on the endline where two students would manually keep score and manually count the clock down in one minute increments. It was like watching people keep score at a 13-U club volleyball tournament.

Notre Dame's Joyce Center used to have a mini tower at the scorers table with numbers one through five aligned vertically. A number would light up when a player committed a foul. The possession arrow sat stop the tower.

Syracuse Carrier Dome used to have male cheerleaders run up and down behind the benches as the team was coming up the floor. Indiana used to have their cheerleaders stationed in similar spots, with huge megaphones. They would also use a drumbeat/bass guitar riff during live action which I believe has since been banned.

Houston during the Phi Slamma Jama era would wear even numbered jerseys at home and odd ones on the road, the way Iowa high school teams used to.(Get your signals crossed and it could lead to mass technical fouls)
Add to this... Vandy used to have the team benches on the endlines rather than the sidelines (maybe they still do?)

At first I thought Minnesota's was kind of hard to look at, then it grew on me.

I watched UNI vs Loyola of Chicago at Loyola last week. I thought they kind of had a neat floor.

Add to this... Vandy used to have the team benches on the endlines rather than the sidelines (maybe they still do?)

Caught a Vandy game a week or so ago while switching channels. Pretty sure the benches are still on the end line. Only place I have ever seen or heard of having them that way.

The mini tower at ND was sweet.

[/QUOTE]

Showing my age here, but that's the way it used to be in all venues. (sans possession arrow, of course)

Showing my age here, but that's the way it used to be in all venues. (sans possession arrow, of course)[/QUOTE]

This is similar to one of the very first scoreboards I remember in school right before they built our new high school and upgraded to the common nice Fair Play scoreboard. Half the bulbs would be out all the time.

It seems I even remember a dial clock scoreboard somewhere.

s-l400.jpg

Latest posts