We are who we thought we are.

Quick glance at their stats ... NW is already a good 3-pt shooting team - 42.7%. Audage is due - has shot the most 3's (34) at only 24% - but the others are shooting over 50%!

Overall, tho, they don't seem to shoot that many - 25 / game vs Hawks at 29 / game.

Game in Iowa City, let's say Audage get's his but I think the others revert to avg. I also think Jo-Bo and Jo-Vies bounce back to their avg (cum 34%). Still, I think this is a game to let Garza go for 40 to burn possession clock and Hawks win handily 88 - 75.

Not looking forward to the Rutgers - Maryland trips.
That night when JBo went off at Maryland for like seven three pointers seems like it was a hundred years ago.

Not fouling at the end of regulation was almost criminal. I'm not sure if Fran was asked that question, but there really is no excuse. It was a coaching failure.

Jordan's regression this season is almost surreal. For whatever reason, he has lost that edge and chip on his shoulder. Regardless, if he's not hitting dagger threes or clutch FTs, there's really no compelling reason to have him on the court. I hate to say that given what he has done for the program the last few years, but it is what it is.

Not fouling at the end of regulation was almost criminal. I'm not sure if Fran was asked that question, but there really is no excuse. It was a coaching failure.

Jordan's regression this season is almost surreal. For whatever reason, he has lost that edge and chip on his shoulder. Regardless, if he's not hitting dagger threes or clutch FTs, there's really no compelling reason to have him on the court. I hate to say that given what he has done for the program the last few years, but it is what it is.
I think maybe he thought there was a little too much time left to foul. A couple seconds less and he for sure should have.

I think maybe he thought there was a little too much time left to foul. A couple seconds less and he for sure should have.
I thought the same, but fouling as the perimeter pick was being set would have been the right thing to do. There still would have been 6-7 seconds left, which is not ideal, but it would have forced them to create a second opportunity in a very short amount of time with our defense set.

The other thing, I don't know who was guarding the guy who set the pick (it may have been Garza), but if you're not going to foul, the other option would be to aggressively hedge and double the shooter. At the very least, it would have got the ball out of Carr's hands or forced him into a much more difficult shot. Joe T went under the pick, which is the wrong thing to do there, and no one hedged out at all. Poorly played all around.

I wish we hadn’t had the hype coming in, it’ll so embarrassing which each loss we get. But, I assume we’ll we out of the top 25 by the end of January.

Could be. We need to bounce back and play with intensity at all times and maintain it the rest of the year. Fran needs to look outside the box and make some changes. Keegan Murry needs to get more minutes, the guy is a serious spark off the bench and just needs a little more confidence instead trying to not make mistakes out there. I don't understand how Fran cannot see that. Its a long season but if they keep playing like this they definitely will be out of the top 25 maybe even headed to the NIT.

Last edited:
We haven't changed at all. All American in the middle, every team collapses on, and we go cold outside. Perimeter defense lacks quickness and intensity. Rebounds are atrocious, lack of strength and boxing out. Bottom line it's never easy, but to be towards the top you better bring it and play like you want to win.
Agreed.

They definitely did not bring it the last 3 games. No intensity, lackluster effort. You can't be a top contender when you play like that.

(this post was edited for more clarity)

Last edited:
Agreed.

They did not look like they brought it in the last 2 games. Even the Gonzaga game was in many ways a lack luster effort though I think they were a bit shell shocked how good a team Gonzaga is.
And how good minnesota is or was last night ( and I even hate to admit that)

I wish we hadn’t had the hype coming in, it’ll so embarrassing which each loss we get. But, I assume we’ll we out of the top 25 by the end of January.
Big 10 coaches will repeat Minny's game plan until we show we are willing to change. Every kid in America is in love with the 3, and every Big 10 roster is full of players that can knock them down if left unguarded. We'll have better shooting nights and therefore overcome this sometimes, but I see us losing several more headscratchers.

Big 10 coaches will repeat Minny's game plan until we show we are willing to change. Every kid in America is in love with the 3, and every Big 10 roster is full of players that can knock them down if left unguarded. We'll have better shooting nights and therefore overcome this sometimes, but I see us losing several more headscratchers.
The only way to avoid losses to average teams on basketball is to be extremely dominant. That isn't iowa, and frankly it's not anyone else this year either. The last 3 games are encouraging in a way that we played bad and still had the results that we had (minus the last 45 seconds last night). But at the same time, its not a good sign that we played 3 bad games in a row. We are one elite shooter from this year playing out exactly how I invisioned it this year. I thought we had him.

Many times we just don't match up well with opposing guards. Suggs and Carr could dribble anywhere they wanted and take shots off the bounce. Jbo and CJ lack that skill. Jbo is forced into a spot and has to give it up. CJ unless in transition is pretty much the same. Joe T can get penetration but struggles with pulling up for a 3 or a long 2. We are missing the elite point guard who can do it all. Especially one who can defend when you have someone lighting you up from deep.

We all have opinions on plays, players, coaching, defense and countless other things. But stats don’t lie and aren’t an opinion. We have to shoot better from the line. We’re definitely 8-1 and have an outside shot at 9-0 if we make FTs.

For me...steal some minutes from a collection of guys and give Ulis and Perkins 5 minutes each in a couple games. Let’s just take a look. Perimeter D and FT shooting may both improve.

This is the same old Iowa basketball under Fran McCaffery as it has been since he arrived here. The exception is we have one really special player this year and then a bunch of role players (including two of the coach’s sons.)

I thought in 2020 Iowa had all the pieces to make a statement. The lack of perimeter defense, no “killer” instinct, no reliable scorer after Luka, yeah, we’re making a statement: same ol’, same ol’ Fran ball.

This is the same old Iowa basketball under Fran McCaffery as it has been since he arrived here. The exception is we have one really special player this year and then a bunch of role players (including two of the coach’s sons.)

I thought in 2020 Iowa had all the pieces to make a statement. The lack of perimeter defense, no “killer” instinct, no reliable scorer after Luka, yeah, we’re making a statement: same ol’, same ol’ Fran ball.
Wieskamp and Fredrick are not role players. We have to start making FTs.

Wieskamp and Fredrick are not role players. We have to start making FTs.
Respectfully disagree. While Wieskamp and CJF may not be classic “role” players, they are a dime a dozen in the B1G. Every team has at least two or three players who are just as good, just as talented.

On any given night, they may support All-American Luka Garza for a win. Or they may be just average or below, and then you get games like our two losses.

Respectfully disagree. While Wieskamp and CJF may not be classic “role” players, they are a dime a dozen in the B1G. Every team has at least two or three players who are just as good, just as talented.

On any given night, they may support All-American Luka Garza for a win. Or they may be just average or below, and then you get games like our two losses.
You actually just contradicted yourself within your own post. So there’s no need for me to say more.

Edit - I should add Wieskamp was 3rd team all conference last year. CJ was all freshmen team. There are 14 teams in the conference and these “role player” and “dime a dozen” guys were considered top 15 in the conference and top 5 in the freshman class respectively.

I am not surprised that you continue your trolling. JW and CJ would start on any BT team.

You actually just contradicted yourself within your own post. So there’s no need for me to say more.

Edit - I should add Wieskamp was 3rd team all conference last year. CJ was all freshmen team. There are 14 teams in the conference and these “role player” and “dime a dozen” guys were considered top 15 in the conference and top 5 in the freshman class respectively.
Translated: you don’t have a good response.

It's a shame there wasn't more of a focused effort on getting guys like Uhlis/Murray/Perkins significant minutes in the earlier blowouts. There needs to be an infusion of lateral quickness into the rotations.

JT (Uhlis)
CJ (JBo)
Connor (Keegan/Patrick)
Wieskamp (Keegan/Patrick)
Garza (Nunge)

It's a shame there wasn't more of a focused effort on getting guys like Uhlis/Murray/Perkins significant minutes in the earlier blowouts. There needs to be an infusion of lateral quickness into the rotations.

JT (Uhlis)
CJ (JBo)
Connor (Keegan/Patrick)
Wieskamp (Keegan/Patrick)
Garza (Nunge)
Were screwed without Nunge if he can't be a positive contributor. You need more than one big body to tango in this league, unless you're as athletic as some of John Beilein's recent Michigan teams and we aren't. Perhaps Keegan is versatile enough to fill that role as well. But Joe W will wear down again late in the year if he's asked to bang inside at 6'6.

We will come to a bridge this season where one or more of the freshmen you mentioned are going to be thrown into the fire and asked to check Ron Harper or Duane Washington or Micah Potter or Trayce Jackson-Davis. I only hope they're ready. I've questioned our depth to some resistance on this board. And I question it more if Nunge gives us minutes like he has vs Purdue and Minnesota.