We ARE NOT Wisconsin

battleofthebow

I cringe every time I hear the argument. All the articles and forum posts I read this week were about how we are similar programs that play similar styles. It's getting really old and no longer true (probably since 2010).

All you have to do is watch the 2 teams play. Look at the badgers offense. They don't look anything like Iowa to me. I probably don't understand football as well as some of you, but tell how they are similar?

I feel like it used to be easy to compare the two in terms of style and success. It's pretty hard to argue that the two programs are similar anymore.

If there is one major thing I respect most about Wisconsin, is that they beat the teams they are supposed to beat. When was the last time they lost to MN?

I cringe every time I hear the argument. All the articles and forum posts I read this week were about how we are similar programs that play similar styles. It's getting really old and no longer true (probably since 2010).

All you have to do is watch the 2 teams play. Look at the badgers offense. They don't look anything like Iowa to me. I probably don't understand football as well as some of you, but tell how they are similar?

Wisky and Iowa very similar with some subtle differences. Both teams base offense is I-formation with or without a fullback. They use the TE and they like to run the ball. They usually have a better wide receiver or receivers. They use shotgun about the same way, the QB bootleg about the same way.

Some differences is they have always had bigger Off Linemen and maybe they dont go to the pros like the hawks but they batter you and keep running the ball, and then run it some more to really set up the play action. Also, they use the jet sweep action ( I think they are still scoring on nebby with Gordon in the BT Champ Game). I think they have better speed overall, not much, but it can show.

And finally they have had Paul Chryst as a great Off Coord and will probably be a great head coach. Didnt their pass patterns just look better than Iowa's.

Thank you for the response. That make sense to me. I suppose Iowa doesn't have the speed to run some of what Wisconsin does. Iowa just seems so predictable and limited in the plays they call. That's the biggest difference I notice when watching the 2 teams play. To me it seemed like Wisconsin was having success against Iowa and Ohio State in all areas of the field. Iowa seems to play a smaller field, and every now and then they break off a nice run. Sure would like to see a half dozen long plays per game instead of 2 or 3.

Thanks again for your repsonse. I am a die-hard hawk fan living in Badger country, and it hasn't been easy the last 5 years :) It used to be a big deal when the 2 teams played. It seems like many of my WI friends don't perceive Iowa the way they used to. It's more like they know Iowa is a team that CAN win, but they don't fear them anymore.

I've tried to argue Iowa's history and their BCS win, and last year. But Wisconsin seems to be running ahead on a national level (scheduling Alabama, LSU), having College GameDay show up, winning BIG ten titles, beating up on teams they should beat, etc. All that stuff is really making it hard to argue that we are not on the same level any more.

Wisky and Iowa very similar with some subtle differences. Both teams base offense is I-formation with or without a fullback. They use the TE and they like to run the ball. They usually have a better wide receiver or receivers. They use shotgun about the same way, the QB bootleg about the same way.

Some differences is they have always had bigger Off Linemen and maybe they dont go to the pros like the hawks but they batter you and keep running the ball, and then run it some more to really set up the play action. Also, they use the jet sweep action ( I think they are still scoring on nebby with Gordon in the BT Champ Game). I think they have better speed overall, not much, but it can show.

And finally they have had Paul Chryst as a great Off Coord and will probably be a great head coach. Didnt their pass patterns just look better than Iowa's.

Last edited:
There are a lot of similarities on overall what they are trying to do. Possession offense and control D. They are much faster and looked bigger.

Here's the thing. Iowa used to be Wisconsin. Then, Wisconsin decided to be Iowa. Then, Wisconsin became Wisconsin, and now Iowa is trying to be Wisconsin. Get it?

"What Jefferson was saying was, ‘Hey! You know. We left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don’t get some cool rules ourselves – Pronto! – we’ll just be bogus, too." Jeff Spicoli

There is a huge difference between Iowa and Wisconsin this year. Wisconsin plays to win...Iowa, in 2016, has decided to play to keep it close, and/or, play conservatively so as not to allow your team to play with confidence. I'll never understand some of the decisions in that game yesterday. You are playing a top ten team and you aren't the team going for broke and putting pressure on them in your house. Absolutely shameful. Kirk Ferentz let his team down yesterday...he didn't play aggressively when he had the opportunities and the percentages on his side. Grab your balls Kirk, just to make sure they are there.

I'm a big KF supporter...but he's regressed to old Kirk again. The fan base would be happier if we failed going for the win and being aggressive, then do what we have done against NDSU and Wisconsin. Holy crap...take a chance, sing and dance, KF. Let your hair down baby.

Haha. Yeah, I get it. I never miss a chance to tell Wisconsin fans they owe their success to Hayden's assistants.

Here's the thing. Iowa used to be Wisconsin. Then, Wisconsin decided to be Iowa. Then, Wisconsin became Wisconsin, and now Iowa is trying to be Wisconsin. Get it?

Exactly. I do agree with this. I think it was evident from the first 3 plays. Run right, run left, pass short of the chains and punt. Why not come out with the first series scripted. A little aggressive, hurry up offense that says I believe in you guys! Come on Kirk!

QUOTE="WinOneThisCentury, post: 1540967, member: 59123"]There is a huge difference between Iowa and Wisconsin this year. Wisconsin plays to win...Iowa, in 2016, has decided to play to keep it close, and/or, play conservatively so as not to allow your team to play with confidence. I'll never understand some of the decisions in that game yesterday. You are playing a top ten team and you aren't the team going for broke and putting pressure on them in your house. Absolutely shameful. Kirk Ferentz let his team down yesterday...he didn't play aggressively when he had the opportunities and the percentages on his side. Grab your balls Kirk, just to make sure they are there.

I'm a big KF supporter...but he's regressed to old Kirk again. The fan base would be happier if we failed going for the win and being aggressive, then do what we have done against NDSU and Wisconsin. Holy crap...take a chance, sing and dance, KF. Let your hair down baby.[/QUOTE]

Philosophies are similar, schemes are different. Recruit same type of players, both have to develop players.

Iowa is a zone blocking scheme, Wisky is a man to man power blocking scheme. Iowa employs a 4-3, Wisky now uses a 3-4.

Wisky takes advantage of every break, every opportunity. Wisky with this year's Iowa schedule likely would end up 10-2, Iowa will be 6-6. Imo, they should be compared to each other.

Are they faster and bigger? The articles I read year after year state that Wisconsin and Iowa are similar programs and recruit similar players and are pretty similar in team rankings according to scout and rivals. So if they are faster and bigger, are they better at developing players? Are they better at utilizing talent?

There are a lot of similarities on overall what they are trying to do. Possession offense and control D. They are much faster and looked bigger.

Are they faster and bigger? The articles I read year after year is that Wisconsin and Iowa are similar programs and recruit similar players and are pretty similar in team rankings according to scout and rivals. So if they are faster and bigger, are they better at developing players? Are they better at utilizing talent?

It's actually scientifically impossible for other teams to have bigger or stronger or faster players because we have Doyle. Who btw is underpaid.

Are they faster and bigger? The articles I read year after year state that Wisconsin and Iowa are similar programs and recruit similar players and are pretty similar in team rankings according to scout and rivals. So if they are faster and bigger, are they better at developing players? Are they better at utilizing talent?

Don't know but when they did the field level camera views it was very evident as they went to the line. FBS v FCS type thingy.

I'm not a o-line expert, but in a zone blocking scheme you need leaner quicker lineman to reach that 2nd level. In a power blocking scheme you want dudes who will straight up maul people that is why Wisky o-lineman are these 340 lbs. monsters.

Actually, after thinking about it...the only difference between Wisconsin and Iowa is that their head coach has two balls between his legs...and our head coach has somehow lost his.

Sure, I get that. I was thinking about all over the field. Definitely seems to be more speed out there on the WI side of the ball.

I'm not a o-line expert, but in a zone blocking scheme you need leaner quicker lineman to reach that 2nd level. In a power blocking scheme you want dudes who will straight up maul people that is why Wisky o-lineman are these 340 lbs. monsters.

Sure, I get that. I was thinking about all over the field. Definitely seems to be more speed out there on the WI side of the ball.

Imo, it is not a speed issue they just understand what they have in personnel. For example, if Riley McCaron was Wisconsin's best receiver they would never ask him to make people miss in space.

Latest posts